PDA

View Full Version : Help with tyre probs?!

dannt5
Sunday 5th December 2004, 22:58
Hi all,Does anyone elts have problems with tyres wearing very badly on the inside&outside edges(leaving the middle with 2-3mm tread left),fronts&rears in less than 3000miles? I have had the track rods,lower arms,shocks all replaced with volvo parts & its still the same.Im running 205x40x17s on my 850 t5 estate.Ive had all sorts of tyre makes,pirrelli,michelins,goodyear,fulda,bf,yokos++ + & they all do the same within 2-3000miles,the car does get used as it should be but im running out of ideas,not to mention money!! Help????

Wobbly Dave
Monday 6th December 2004, 00:43
:welcome:

Silly question - but have you had the tracking done?

Justin
Monday 6th December 2004, 00:50
Its the camber alignment thats out, i take it your car came with 16" alloys from new, by adding 17" the tyres are not completely flat on the road as they are bigger and wear the edges, a decent mechanic should be able to sort it! ;)

GuyD5
Monday 6th December 2004, 00:54
and last but not least, wear on both edges is also a classic sign of under-inflation, what pressures were/are you running the tyres at? :)

dannt5
Monday 6th December 2004, 21:11
Hi,the trackings spot on,ive tried a selection of pressures from 32-38psi & had the camber checked.The wheels are genuine volvo ones from a V70T5R so the fitment should be spot on.My local tyre firm tells me its nothing more than exessive speed on corners,if this is so i cant be the only person with a t5 having this prob?

Justin
Monday 6th December 2004, 22:38
Who checked the camber ?

Bracer
Wednesday 8th December 2004, 09:39
Hi,the trackings spot on,ive tried a selection of pressures from 32-38psi & had the camber checked.The wheels are genuine volvo ones from a V70T5R so the fitment should be spot on.My local tyre firm tells me its nothing more than exessive speed on corners,if this is so i cant be the only person with a t5 having this prob?

I would say you are probably scrubbing the tyres due to over inflation and reduced grip.

Do you carry allot of heavy loads ? if not then you are way too high on the psi.

Spec:

Pressures from cold

Up to 3 persons
Saloon: F 32 / R 29
Estate: F 32 / R 30

Fully laden
Saloon: F 33 / R 36
Estate: F 35 / R 41

I run my 215x45x17's Saloon F32 / R29 and have no feathering problems.

Give it a try it might help :wink:

dannt5
Thursday 9th December 2004, 23:03
Hi,volvo checked the camber settings.I dont carry any loads & hardly every have more than 2 people in car.Ive ran at 32psi all round with 1 set of tyres,1set at 34psi,another at the standard settings as on the fuel flap & almost every combination i can think of but they still wear the edges.Ive tried just about every logical thing to cure it & am running out of ideas,is there anybody elts that has the same prob??

Murphy
Thursday 9th December 2004, 23:20
Has the car been involved in an accident at all ?

Markzx
Friday 10th December 2004, 13:53
Hi all,Does anyone elts have problems with tyres wearing very badly on the inside&outside edges(leaving the middle with 2-3mm tread left),fronts&rears in less than 3000miles? I have had the track rods,lower arms,shocks all replaced with volvo parts & its still the same.Im running 205x40x17s on my 850 t5 estate.Ive had all sorts of tyre makes,pirrelli,michelins,goodyear,fulda,bf,yokos++ + & they all do the same within 2-3000miles,the car does get used as it should be but im running out of ideas,not to mention money!! Help????

I've had this on my 94 850 T5 Estate. I was running Perrelis P6000's on 17's and all I did to stop it was inflate tyres to 40psi. They wore evenly but if you ran over a mouse you could tell what Sex it was.

dannt5
Monday 13th December 2004, 21:04
Hi all,its never been in any kind of bump that i can tell of & i went to town on it when i was lucking to buy it.It drives/handles perfectly compaired to the last 2 t5s ive had & as well as my friends s60 t5.I did try the pressures at 40psi but it did tend to run on in bends badly & track the white lines so i changed them back after a day or so.My last 2 T5s scrubbed the edges on standard 205x50x16s but not as bad as this seems to on 17s.

hamish
Saturday 18th December 2004, 01:57
Dan,
Have you replaced both halves of the front suspension top mounts ? Might be worth giing me a call at volvotuning.

Regards,
Hamish.