PDA

View Full Version : New Bulbs

V50COL
Monday 31st January 2011, 22:29
What Headlight bulbs does everyone else use? Have tried standard, Philips and Halfords own make. Not been impressed with any of the aftermarket ones.
Only lasted about 2 months, guy from Volvo said it could be because lights are on all the time. He said he had looked around a few forums and the concensus was that 'Ring' bulbs were better, so he had bought a few sets for dealership to try, but by the time I went in he had sold them and said he had been told not to get any more. He said the only other alternative was to disable the lights being on all the time, but they can't recommend that as it is a safety issue.
What do you's think?
Cheers.

t5_monkey
Monday 31st January 2011, 23:08
I use osram night breakers - they make your dip way better, cause the dipped stock lights are utterly ****e.

Had a couple go - i think it's temperature change, first really cold night of the autumn I had one go the next morning, and one the day after.

You could just turn the headlights off during the day - by selecting sidelights only - just remember to put it back to '0' when you park up :)

I believe main dealer can switch off the headlights on all the time thing.

t4 chump
Tuesday 1st February 2011, 19:13
On my v40 u can disable them urself (cant remember the sequence of top of my head) i use xenon bulbs ozrama ones theyve been in around 9 month and mine are on all the time. I found the ring ones used to go often in my other cars in the past

Vikingxl
Tuesday 1st February 2011, 19:16
My xc gets through a set every month or so, so im on cheap bulbs now i can see the big things like buildings and mountains

t4 chump
Tuesday 1st February 2011, 19:19
My xc gets through a set every month or so, so im on cheap bulbs now i can see the big things like buildings and mountains

A set a month?!? Av u got shares in halfords now? Hahaha

Vikingxl
Tuesday 1st February 2011, 19:27
It was starting to feel like it. My v70 had one set in it the whole time i had it

t4 chump
Tuesday 1st February 2011, 19:50
Must be a dud headlight left over from BL hahaha

V50COL
Tuesday 1st February 2011, 23:18
Cheers Guys, seems quite common then. Will try the Osrams to see what they are like. Have any of you tried any of the LED interior bulbs? A guy at work has some blue tinted ones in his Golf GTI and the look quite good. If yous have where did you get them?
Thanks again.

t5_monkey
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 00:03
Cheers Guys, seems quite common then. Will try the Osrams to see what they are like. Have any of you tried any of the LED interior bulbs? A guy at work has some blue tinted ones in his Golf GTI and the look quite good. If yous have where did you get them?
Thanks again.

Yes got white LED interior lighting - much nicer (and brighter) than regular - got em in the sidelights too. (don't put blue ones in you just look like a chav!)

Put white ones on your numberplate bulbs... looks the biz and is totally legal.

From memory ... off ebay! just be careful changing the footwell ones, can be tricky and if you break a bulb it's a £££££££ to get out the bits that are left.

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 08:17
Osram Night Breakers off Ebay cost a tenner all-in. I am very happy with them and have them on my Volvo and Honda CRV - with no failures.

V50COL
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 10:36
Cheers for the advice. Thanks again.