PDA

View Full Version : Mbc

shrekblackR
Monday 31st January 2011, 21:39
Hi all anyone got a pic of where mbc fits sorry for being thick lol

Dangerous Dave
Monday 31st January 2011, 21:43
Simply like this, assuming you have an mbc and not a bleed valve (although a bleed valve would fit the same, but mbcs are better)

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/boost001.jpg

shrekblackR
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 11:35
So I take it that the pipes just go to this and not where they went originally . All the creatures are red so I'm not sure what goes where . Don't suppose anyone near Southend would meet me and show me please . Don't want to get it wrong and go bang . Sorry I know I'm thick .

kee1173
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 11:43
Think your thick im still trying to work out what MBC stands for ...LOL....

shrekblackR
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 11:51
Think your thick im still trying to work out what MBC stands for ...LOL....

Yay 2 of us lol . It stands for mechanical boost controller mate

kee1173
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 12:10
well you learn something everyday, lol...Now you ve said it i realise what it is cause might be the next stage for my V70 T5, have to tell us how easy and long it is to do... hopefully not as hard as doing a heater rad which i am now an expert in lol... godd lucl mate..

JelT5
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 12:17
So I take it that the pipes just go to this and not where they went originally . All the creatures are red so I'm not sure what goes where . Don't suppose anyone near Southend would meet me and show me please . Don't want to get it wrong and go bang . Sorry I know I'm thick .

You're not thick, just concerned lol, I was too, when I fitted a MBC for the first time and asked lots of questions!

Both the pipes run to the BCS, situated next to the air filter box. There is another pipe connected to the BCS which runs from the MAF:

Take the pipe from the actuator (sits on top of the turbo) and connect it to the T of the MBC (as per bomb's map).

The pipe from the turbo goes to the bottom connection point of the MBC (also as per bomb's diagram).

The pipe going from the MAF to the BCS needs to be blanked off- put a bolt in it and a jubilee clip to secure (works for me anyway!).

Make sure you jubilee clip (or cable tie) the other two pipes to the MBC too. You don't want boost leaks that will cause "naughty" boost spikes!

Start off on standard boost in 4th gear (important!) and gradually wind the boost up to 1bar. Stop there though, as the rods may turn to chocolate or you may melt a piston from under fuelling.

You can run more boost if you've got a remap...although a lot of people don't advise running a MBC with a map, I have done for a couple of years with no problems @ 1.2 and 1.4 bar of boost.

HTH

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 14:12
Heres a diagram of the standard piping to go with Jerry's instructions.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/mbcinstallation.jpg

T5frankie
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 14:31
Yay 2 of us lol . It stands for mechanical boost controller mate

it stands for manual boost controller mate

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 14:40
You're not thick, just concerned lol, I was too, when I fitted a MBC for the first time and asked lots of questions!

Both the pipes run to the BCS, situated next to the air filter box. There is another pipe connected to the BCS which runs from the MAF:

Take the pipe from the actuator (sits on top of the turbo) and connect it to the T of the MBC (as per bomb's map).

The pipe from the turbo goes to the bottom connection point of the MBC (also as per bomb's diagram).

The pipe going from the MAF to the BCS needs to be blanked off- put a bolt in it and a jubilee clip to secure (works for me anyway!).

Make sure you jubilee clip (or cable tie) the other two pipes to the MBC too. You don't want boost leaks that will cause "naughty" boost spikes!

Start off on standard boost in 4th gear (important!) and gradually wind the boost up to 1bar. Stop there though, as the rods may turn to chocolate or you may melt a piston from under fuelling.

You can run more boost if you've got a remap...although a lot of people don't advise running a MBC with a map, I have done for a couple of years with no problems @ 1.2 and 1.4 bar of boost.

HTH

Next time you are over, do me a favour and show me how to do it - I don't think I'm doing it right :slap:

JelT5
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 15:12
Next time you are over, do me a favour and show me how to do it - I don't think I'm doing it right :slap:

Will do Phil, it'd be a pleasure mate :)

Shrek, I don't use the MBC in the winter- no point with no traction!

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 18:05
Shrek, I don't use the MBC in the winter- no point with no traction!
I also found that I use more fuel on a run or at motorway speeds with an MBC fitted (I'm guessing its down to ecu control of boost and fuel)

JelT5
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 20:07
I also found that I use more fuel on a run or at motorway speeds with an MBC fitted (I'm guessing its down to ecu control of boost and fuel)

Yep me too- in fact my fuel consumption generally is really rubbish; much worse than my V70 auto and I drove the V70 a lot harder than the Olive Shed :(

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 21:41
Yep me too- in fact my fuel consumption generally is really rubbish; much worse than my V70 auto and I drove the V70 a lot harder than the Olive Shed :(
Thats why I've put the ecu back in charge and adjusted the boost to come in when then throttle is open further than the cruising position.

shrekblackR
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 22:59
it stands for manual boost controller mate

Lmao yeah it does sorry lol see thick lol

kee1173
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 11:19
if its manual boost controller does it mean you have a crank and wind it up lmao... sorry could nt resist just got a vision of someone winding it up in my head....LOL

kee1173
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 11:20
on morphine at mo so get lots of strange ideas and visions ... good stuff this..lol

JelT5
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 12:02
on morphine at mo so get lots of strange ideas and visions ... good stuff this..lol

It doesn't show at all ;)

kee1173
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 12:18
It doesn't show at all ;)

Thought i would see if i can work this show quote thing out... also only just taken the morphine so may get worse as day goes on ..lol

kee1173
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 12:19
also does nt show i am bored ... and IT WORKED .... LOL

JelT5
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 13:13
Thought i would see if i can work this show quote thing out... also only just taken the morphine so may get worse as day goes on ..lol

Or better? lol

If it's not too personal a question, why the morphine? Have you just come out of hospital?
Just wondered, as I been on the stuff myself after ops. A fine pain killer, even if it does do strange things to your brain :)

shrekblackR
Monday 7th February 2011, 10:26
So in thick speak just connect the 2 pipes as shown then disconnect maf pipe and block off ????

JelT5
Monday 7th February 2011, 12:32
That's it :)

shrekblackR
Monday 7th February 2011, 14:19
Cool

kee1173
Monday 7th February 2011, 17:04
on the morphine as have failed back surgery syndrome ( offically told today) basically had discectomy 4 years ago and didnt help apart from walking and pain has got worse over years, so cant operate again and just trying to control with drugs which keep getting stronger.. been told today next stage is lumbar punches in the olr spine every month... lovely...basically my back is in technical terms f*****d... so Morphine every day and now they have upped the dose so my posts will get even better LOL

JelT5
Monday 7th February 2011, 17:35
on the morphine as have failed back surgery syndrome ( offically told today) basically had discectomy 4 years ago and didnt help apart from walking and pain has got worse over years, so cant operate again and just trying to control with drugs which keep getting stronger.. been told today next stage is lumbar punches in the olr spine every month... lovely...basically my back is in technical terms f*****d... so Morphine every day and now they have upped the dose so my posts will get even better LOL

That sounds grim mate. Have serious back probs myself, compressed fracture in lumbar vertebra/e; scan this Friday to see if it's operable. My pain is not in the same league as yours though, I'm not on morphine...yet lol.
Best wishes to you mate; hope you get some relief in the not too distant future.

Sorry for thread hijack shrek

kee1173
Monday 7th February 2011, 17:48
Also sorry Shrek for Hijack LOL... Thanks Jet...not to clever but funny thing is you seem to get used to it been so long now... but any back prob is not good and as you know damn aggrevating...Anyway also Good luck to you mate. one day may we both will be able to clean the wheels on our cars LOL

shrekblackR
Monday 7th February 2011, 22:45
I do know how you guys feel 10 years in special forces running up and down mountains with silly weight on my back . Can even lean over engine bay for 10 mins without being in agony lol

kee1173
Monday 7th February 2011, 22:53
i know exactly what you mean, came out of hospital 3 weeks ago, so cant work now but sit at home... got so fed up decided to put K&N filter on car and give a polish... done the filter ( as you say in agony)... got as far as t cut and polish to bonnet and that was it ..in doors, flat out on bed in agony ... to make it better had wife standing there giving it the told you so bit lol.. but love cars and playing and seeing the ole T5 sitting there drives me mad.. must admit does look funny at mo with lovely shiny bonnet and the rest flat and dull.. bit of before and after but in real life mode lol

shrekblackR
Tuesday 8th February 2011, 17:16
Lol good man

shrekblackR
Saturday 12th February 2011, 10:29
Hi guys mbc fitted turned right down but I can't get the boost down past 20 psi any ideas .... But **** it's quick lol

T5frankie
Saturday 12th February 2011, 10:46
Hi guys mbc fitted turned right down but I can't get the boost down past 20 psi any ideas .... But **** it's quick lol

leave it there mate lol

shrekblackR
Saturday 12th February 2011, 10:50
Won't it melt my con rods ????

JelT5
Saturday 12th February 2011, 11:49
It may bend con rods and/or melt piston/s...although many have run high boost with no probs. It's high boost in 1st, 2nd gears you've got to worry about- that bends rods- if it's boosting maximum to 20psi in 4th you may be lucky and get away with it.
V70 rods are a bit tougher than the 850's afaik, although they're all a bit chocolatey lol.

I've run 1.7bar (by accident note lol) and got away with it, but I wouldn't run it all the time. 1.2bar is my self imposed limit as I can't afford an engine rebuild at the mo.

High boost is nice though ;)

shrekblackR
Saturday 12th February 2011, 11:57
I've turned it right down but still at 20 mine is auto so if I don't just floor it I should be ok ... Yes??

JelT5
Saturday 12th February 2011, 13:21
Sorry, forgot yours was auto...how accurate is your boost gauge?
I'd err on the side of safety and just be a bit careful with the right foot- you may have a slight boost leak somewhere which could be why you can't turn it down further- maybe check all the hoses etc to make sure.

shrekblackR
Saturday 12th February 2011, 13:32
Cheers mate will do

gmain1967
Saturday 12th February 2011, 15:40
I've turned it right down but still at 20 mine is auto so if I don't just floor it I should be ok ... Yes??

20psi is over 1.3bar. In 4th gear, that's in dangerous territory. If that's happening in lower gears, you are on borrowed time, IMO. And if you get a boost spike.....

I don't understand how if you have wound it right down, that is as low as it goes. An MBC should be able to screw the boost down to virtually zero, and certainly not a minimum, that is above the standard maximum....?!

claymore
Saturday 12th February 2011, 15:43
Is the wastegate would to tight?

shrekblackR
Sunday 13th February 2011, 15:54
20psi is over 1.3bar. In 4th gear, that's in dangerous territory. If that's happening in lower gears, you are on borrowed time, IMO. And if you get a boost spike.....

I don't understand how if you have wound it right down, that is as low as it goes. An MBC should be able to screw the boost down to virtually zero, and certainly not a minimum, that is above the standard maximum....?!

Hi mate I'm running rica as well

shrekblackR
Sunday 13th February 2011, 15:55
Is the wastegate would to tight?

How do you adjust that then ????

shrekblackR
Sunday 13th February 2011, 16:43
Panic over broken boost pipe all done now running 16 psi and going like a rocket so thanks guys for all your help

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 13th February 2011, 16:45
You are winding the MBC the right way aren't you?

You unscrew it to lower the boost, and tighten it to increase boost.

T5frankie
Sunday 13th February 2011, 16:47
Won't it melt my con rods ????

Its the torque that will bend rods, what i do when running over 20 psi is not flooring it till 4000rpm its when you do 20psi at 2000rpm thats dangerous

shrekblackR
Sunday 13th February 2011, 17:41
All good now . Sorry when I said tightend up I meant all the way out . It was the pipe from turbo that was split . And thanks again lads

JelT5
Sunday 13th February 2011, 17:48
All good now . Sorry when I said tightend up I meant all the way out . It was the pipe from turbo that was split . And thanks again lads

Glad you found the problem before anything bad happened!
Always a good thing to check pipes if you can't turn the boost down :)

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 13th February 2011, 19:09
Glad its sorted buddy

shrekblackR
Tuesday 15th February 2011, 10:01
Me to just a few more jobs to do then all done