PDA

View Full Version : what else could i need if i replace rubber top mounts and rear axles??? advice please

watchmytracer
Monday 31st January 2011, 19:38
Hi after getting an excellent price from my garage for swap of rear axle from donor car to reduce costs on the rear delta rubber mount things could anyone tell me what other items i could possibly need or problems i am likeley to find while doing this transplant.Breakers are taking axle off other car along with springs discs etc and i suppose i will need to do break pipes and handbrake cable. Also my current car is self leveling suspension but donor car is not but as i am replacing springs etc the lot this should be ok yes???. also i am replacing front suspension rubber (new)top mounts again is there anything i should relly do while replacing these.i intend to keep car but obviously i do not wish to spend any extra money on performance parts as i am keeping it stock.thanks all

t5 pete
Monday 31st January 2011, 19:41
Just remember to keep your rear top mounts for the nivo's as there different to standard shock ones or if your replacing the nivo's with the standard shocks you will also need there top mounts but be carefull as they tend to wear with age.

nobananas
Monday 31st January 2011, 20:24
There is a plastic bracket on top of one of the rear arms that holds one end of a flexi-brake hoses. The bracket tends to break when you try to undo the brake hose (they get brittle with age), might be an idea to get a new one from Volvo just in case as it will hold up the swap if it gets broken. As Pete has said, you will need the non-nivomat top shock mounts on the rear, they are only about 12 quid from PFV if I remember correctly.

watchmytracer
Monday 31st January 2011, 20:27
i intend to put on standard rear (not self level) so are you saying i need to change top mount rubbers and mounts ?? cheers

Flatout Phil
Monday 31st January 2011, 20:27
Watch that ABS sender loom - could send you potty if that gets damaged as is not a cheap part as I know to my cost.

I would also put in that my car - which handles superbly - has Nivomats. I really like them - because whatever the load, the car always sits right.

t5 pete
Monday 31st January 2011, 20:28
i intend to put on standard rear (not self level) so are you saying i need to change top mount rubbers and mounts ?? cheers

just the ones that bolt inside the car at the rear

nobananas
Monday 31st January 2011, 20:35
These are the ones you need.
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_532&products_id=3172

nobananas
Monday 31st January 2011, 20:40
Watch that ABS sender loom - could send you potty if that gets damaged as is not a cheap part as I know to my cost.

That's a good point, the sensors themselves are unlikely to come out of the hubs in one piece (usually have to break and drill them out !). They connect to a multiplug under the inspection cover for the fuel pump/sender (accessible from under the front-most removable boot floor section ) and you may need to lower the fuel tank slightly to get the wiring out intact. Chances are the scrappy may just chop 'em off !

watchmytracer
Tuesday 1st February 2011, 12:06
for a swap of rear axles from ones with nivomats to standard .bearing in mind i will have axles delta bushes things,springs,etc (will i need different shocks or make sure i get the old shocks)

if i require any other items please let me know as i want to get every thing in one go cheers again

sensor or sender loom possibly
top mount seat but not the rubber (should i do this anyway)
brake pipe stuff
handbrake stuff

and for the front suspension top mount rubbers

rubbers

anything else??

nobananas
Tuesday 1st February 2011, 21:42
top mount seat but not the rubber (should i do this anyway)

The rear shock top mounts are a a combined mounting and rubber, they just bolt on with two bolts from inside the car with the shock top pin bolted through the hole in the middle, the top of the spring does not bear on this mounting just on a plate against the chassis leg.

watchmytracer
Tuesday 1st February 2011, 22:23
cheers bananas you have saved me getting rid of car due to lack of knowledge.