PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Condensation.

STEVO RRR
Monday 31st January 2011, 13:03
At last,fingers crossed etc.etc.I think I`ve cured my condensation problem in my nearside headlight.

If you suffer from this use Gore tex.

I have drilled 17 holes in the headlight cover, 13 in the main beam cover and a further four on the bottom edge of the dipped beam cover(these are uncovered)and used GORE-TEX patches over all the holes and headlight is remaining dry.Stuff Volvo and their £790 for a new headlight.
Nearside headlight ballast was soaked with water again after taking off the bumper(a 15 minute job now)so used an alcohol solution in the ballast to dry this out and everything is A OK.Two super bright 4300k bulbs now lighting my way and not just sides and fogs.I changed the fog light bulbs as well when the bumper was off.

Now for the power steering....
Steve

t5_monkey
Monday 31st January 2011, 14:12
Hope you get it all sorted :) those new headlights are a rip off!!

SKIDMARKS
Monday 31st January 2011, 14:25
Can't believe the price you have stated.

It must be made of kryptonite :yikes:

STEVO RRR
Monday 31st January 2011, 16:24
Can't believe the price you have stated.

It must be made of kryptonite :yikes:

Thanks guys.Price is £668 + VAT.The problem is they come with ballast and all bulbs attached.Volvo charge £103.50 + VAT for 1 dipped headlight bulb even though the very same bulbs (Phillips 85126)are all over eBay for £40 ish.

Hence the huge price.The ballast and igniter on their own are £223 +VAT so it goes up and up.All that was needed was the casing which is not available on its` own.try getting one from a scrap yard.

steve

LeeT5
Wednesday 9th March 2011, 03:37
Thanks guys.Price is £668 + VAT.The problem is they come with ballast and all bulbs attached.Volvo charge £103.50 + VAT for 1 dipped headlight bulb even though the very same bulbs (Phillips 85126)are all over eBay for £40 ish.

Hence the huge price.The ballast and igniter on their own are £223 +VAT so it goes up and up.All that was needed was the casing which is not available on its` own.try getting one from a scrap yard.

steve

That's only the half of it. Reason they are so expensive is because not only do the lights house ballast and igniter but they also house the control module. this is what make the lights move up and down when you use dip/full beam and also when the rear suspension moves up and down and the level sensors adjust the headlight level via the control module. That's why there so god damn expensive.