PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein B8's on an S40

t5_monkey
Monday 31st January 2011, 12:13
http://www.larkspeed.com/intricart/product/image4/BIL833BE5B383.jpg

Done about 500 miles on Bilstein B8's all around on my S40 T5, and well I'm impressed!

Car had done 50,000 before the change, the old dampers felt tired and not smooth when you compressed them (especially the right rear, the car didn't feel as good turning to the left as the right - I guess I'd just gotten used to it.)

Around Town

Immediately, driving the car I noticed that the low speed ride over speedbumps was far less crashy, and there was less body movement - I could take speedbumps I'd had to take at 5mph at 10 or 15mph without any significant issues, just a deep thud as I went over instead of a crash as before - very impressive.

The crashing you get through potholes, and 'shudder' had almost completely gone just replaced with a deep thump and a feeling of being well damped.

Going a bit Faster

One unexpected benefit is better traction, far less tramping and controlled wheelspin - I can hold the throttle flat in 2nd, and let the wheels spin and the car still pulls itself along a slippery road most of the time, without tramp and shudder - it's quite a marked difference to before.

Cornering is in a different dimension, the car is flatter and more progressive up to the limit which is far higher, on the limit there's more precision and controllability through the throttle and steering - it just grips and grips, while feeling safe stable and adjustable.

Motorway

Probably the only downside is on the motorway, the car feels 'busier' at speed (but much much firmer) so you can feel the road and it's undulations as you drive - it has to be said it's still a lot better than when I Was on 18" wheels!

Overall...

Not cheap at about £500 for the full set, but makes a huge dynamic difference to the way your car drives (mine was only on 50,000 miles when I changed too) and definitely makes every corner much more of a pleasure - with a ride that's at least 20-30% better around town - and still acceptable at speed and on the Motorway.

I've yet to really try it out on a fast road - will need to wait for the spring to go for a 'proper' drive but looking forward to the summer!