PDA

View Full Version : Going A Bit Mental Now

Al115
Sunday 30th January 2011, 12:32
Long-running story this one.

2001 V70 T5. Only high frequencies, no bass, coming from the main driver's side front speaker (isolated it, near enough, with the balance/fader controls, and unplugged the door tweeter to be sure). Swapped the head unit with a friend's to rule that out - no change. Then ran a pair of wires from the passenger's speaker connector across the cabin to the driver's speaker - no change, suggesting the driver's speaker is at fault. Ran the same wires across from right to left, and the passenger speaker working on the driver's channel was fine. Bingo, I thought, the driver's side speaker is dodgy. Get another.

I've now got hold of THREE different speakers in turn (one from a kind member on here, one from eBay, one from Salvo that only arrived on Friday). SAME PROBLEM WITH ALL OF THEM.

I mean... hugely unlikely for all the speakers to be dodgy, unless it's a common failure? Do the Volvo speakers have seperate drive coils, so that one or more might fail giving no bass but still some high frequencies? It's the standard audio system (HU-603) - not premium.

Thanks for any advice :)

Tomcat
Sunday 30th January 2011, 13:27
If you've tried a different head unit and you've tried different speakers.....could it be the wiring loom?, maybe damaged around the door hinge?.

p fandango
Sunday 30th January 2011, 15:35
there must be a passive cross-over in the speaker wiring somewhere to split the frequencies, & as the tweeter is working its got to be from the cross-over onwards

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 30th January 2011, 16:26
Like Pedro says, could be a crossover, or an amplifier with a dodgy output (if an amp is fitted). I think I remember seeing a very simple crossover on the back of my 850 speakers (can't be sure without looking) or at least someones car.

Al115
Monday 31st January 2011, 17:53
Hum, so where will I find the crossovers? Nothing hidden between the head unit (AUB) and the speakers (in the diagram below, 16/3 is Right Front speaker in question, and 16/56 is the Right Front Tweeter). 54/11 is just a "connector" according to the component listing.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10118&stc=1&d=1296496373

Al115
Monday 31st January 2011, 17:54
The crossover could be on the back of the speaker, then. What am I looking for, any clues?

Also weird how the wiring diagram shows 4 wires going to the main speaker (16/3) but only two actually go into the connector in real life!

SKIDMARKS
Monday 31st January 2011, 18:02
Not that it's any use to you but mine is same car same year and the same speaker on mine works when it wants to. Sometimes a bang on the panel sorts it and sometimes not.
Wanted to take the grille off the door but looks like it will break a lug off the plastic if I try to force it.

John Dexter
Monday 31st January 2011, 18:08
I seem to have a similar problem but with nothing or something.
V70 1999. Collect car from seller last year and push the button on the wireless and nice sound.
Use the car a second time and nothing at all.
Third time and the driver's door speaker is crackly but at least I have something.
Took car to garage last Friday and we have the silence again.
Are V70s all like this?

Al115
Monday 31st January 2011, 18:24
Not that it's any use to you but mine is same car same year and the same speaker on mine works when it wants to. Sometimes a bang on the panel sorts it and sometimes not.
Wanted to take the grille off the door but looks like it will break a lug off the plastic if I try to force it.

Take the whole door panel off - v easy. You will break the grille if you try to remove that alone, they don't come off separately AFAIK.

My original one worked when I hit it occasionally. Then it stopped altogether :D

Al115
Monday 31st January 2011, 18:25
I seem to have a similar problem but with nothing or something.
V70 1999. Collect car from seller last year and push the button on the wireless and nice sound.
Use the car a second time and nothing at all.
Third time and the driver's door speaker is crackly but at least I have something.
Took car to garage last Friday and we have the silence again.
Are V70s all like this?

Yours is a Phase 1 car, mine is a Phase 2, they have different speakers and connectors I think. Still irritating that they fail!

Dangerous Dave
Monday 31st January 2011, 21:12
A simple crossover will be just a capacitor and/or a resistor and/or a coil.

Looking on swedespeed, I've found a picture that show there is a very simple crossover on the tweeter (you can se it on the left of the tweeter with the volvo sticker on) Doesn't look as though there is a crossover on the main speaker, so thats that idea out the window.

http://www.slaptardcentral.com/gallery/files/6/v70_speakers_13.jpg

Have you tried disconnecting the tweeter?

If there is no amplifier in the line, then the head unit may be at fault (just the one channel)

Swedespeed thread here if anyone is interested
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?115765-My-next-project-01-V70-T5M&p=1598157&viewfull=1

Storm-Troll
Tuesday 1st February 2011, 01:06
it has to be something in the car Al. My old headunit i gave you to try works fine on all speakers when I plug it in and the speaker still works ok on mine if I whip off the door card and plug it in.. think u might have a Gremlin somewhere

Al115
Tuesday 1st February 2011, 07:53
Troll, I think your headunit didn't work fine on all speakers, we had the same problem as far as I remember - hence the reason I put my original one back in!

I will plug the same speaker into the passenger side wiring directly today to be sure. I think it's FUBARed though.

I heard a suggestion that speakers from breakers' yards are commonly broken as they are easily damaged by noise through the stereo wiring during dismantling, which can blow the coils. Not sure if that's true or not.

Storm-Troll
Tuesday 1st February 2011, 16:19
Troll, I think your headunit didn't work fine on all speakers, we had the same problem as far as I remember - hence the reason I put my original one back in!

I will plug the same speaker into the passenger side wiring directly today to be sure. I think it's FUBARed though.

I heard a suggestion that speakers from breakers' yards are commonly broken as they are easily damaged by noise through the stereo wiring during dismantling, which can blow the coils. Not sure if that's true or not.

must be my ears then lol.. i'll blame it on my age :-)