PDA

View Full Version : Project lightweight to be Abandoned(Yes/No)??

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 26th January 2011, 02:52
I've owned my 850 since 2004 and in my time of ownership I've used and abused it to the max with Drag racing and Track days on multiple occasions attending many volvot5.co.uk and VPCUK meets. As a result the car has gone from the luxurious Estate gradually to a stripped out road weapon/racer.

In the time I've owned it the car has been off the road twice, once following a gearbox failure, which resulted in the car being stripped out in the first place..this lasted about 6 months

The second time it was the bottom end.... but 3 & 1/2 years later the car is still off the road... I worked out the other day that the car has done nearly 500 miles on the back of a trailer as it has followed me from Wales to Sheffield and now on to Guildford.

In the time its been off the road I've been spending and have plenty of boxes of bits to put on the thing, Caymen S brakes (front/rear), Custom RIP kit I've got a box full of QBM bits, lightened flywheel, second engine/gearbox/turbos/wheels and probably other bits I've forgotten about.

To add insult to injury I've now got to move house only 6 months into my current rental, which is really annoying since it's going to cost me another few grand just to move about 2 miles down the road and will put the project on hold even further..

My Quandary is whether to adandon the project due to lack of enthusiasm/money to actually get this car up and running again.

I don't actually want to get rid, but I'm just thinking that I should be practical on this as I could always do another sometime in the future.

Tomcat
Wednesday 26th January 2011, 07:00
Don't do it, you'll only regret it later on. Move house, get settled and then see how you feel, you'll probably have changed your mind.

Santa
Wednesday 26th January 2011, 07:51
I hate to say this but maybe trying to offload what parts you can and getting rid of the car is a good idea.

When your more settled and have more time in the future try again.

Sitting there but not costing money is different from having to keep towing it around the country behind you.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 26th January 2011, 09:55
If it was the start of a proect then maybe it would be worth getting rid of, but when you're that far into it, especially since you have a large collection of bits which has taken some time to acquire.

How far is it from roadworthy?

Another option is to strip it of its useable items and flog the shell, then reduce the collection of spares down to a minimum amount needed for a good race car. That way if you feel the urge to do it again, all you need is a breaker shell, and you don't have to cart a shell around every time you move house (just a van full of bits)

Murphy
Wednesday 26th January 2011, 11:05
Rent a garage, store it well until things pick up. Garages can be cheap oop north, not sure about your currently location though?

lance
Wednesday 26th January 2011, 12:37
Dont do it, winter will soon be gone and you might feel like a tinker! You have defo come to far and as they say quiters never win and winners never quit! Come on judge chin up I regret nearly every T5 I have ever sold!

tattoo101
Wednesday 26th January 2011, 20:09
just give it to me and i will give it some love and attention :)

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 26th January 2011, 20:12
I think the poll results speak for themselves.

You are clearly in doubt as to whether you should abandone the project which says to me deep down you dont want to ;)

SKIDMARKS
Wednesday 26th January 2011, 20:42
Keep going ! my little black car took me 1500 hours over two years. Too easy to stop.

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 26th January 2011, 23:39
Cheers for all your comments...but as usual stuck between emotion and practicality.

1.....For Emotion, you are all so right I don't really want to get rid of it. I want the satisfaction of building a car to the best of my inept ability...but I want to spend around another £3-5k on it before I'll be happy and then I'll probably want more.

2.....For practicality looking at the shell itself I haven't actually done that much. Although there is no chance that the interior could ever go back in, but most of the work could be repeated in the future pretty easily. If I was to get rid I would probably get rid of it all as I probably won't do another Volvo as I've always fancied a Skyline/200SX drifter..

I think I'll vote for the Lottery ticket.....

t5_monkey
Wednesday 26th January 2011, 23:55
Keep it... you know you're just teasing yourself!!

PaulZX
Thursday 27th January 2011, 00:50
I'd say put a price on the job lot, and see who sniffs....

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 00:53
I'd say put a price on the job lot, and see who sniffs....

I have thought about that.... The quandry still continues as it'll another month without spare cash...

But I did go into the garage the other day and was contemplated putting engine stand up....

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 01:19
Well some good news is that I don't have to move house. The landlord has cancelled the eviction notice... happy days!!

This means that I can keep hold of all my stuff that little bit longer...

Giles
Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 07:26
I think the poll results speak for themselves.

You are clearly in doubt as to whether you should abandone the project which says to me deep down you dont want to ;)

Me too.....I think by posting the question that you wanna keep it and just needed confirmation that it is a good idea ....... sucks tho having to wait for things ....