PDA

View Full Version : V50 stuff

V50COL
Sunday 23rd January 2011, 23:16
How we doin'? Just joined this site, so new to the forums. Had a V50 2.0 Sport for a couple of years now and is out of warranty. Just wondering if anybody knows what performance discs(EBC etc), and Lowering springs I can get for a 2litre petrol, as most of the sites I have been on, only list 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0D cars. What can be used on my car? It already has 18s, winter pack, roof rails and upgraded stereo as it was Volvo dealers manager who had it before me, so looking for sensible mods please.

t5_monkey
Sunday 23rd January 2011, 23:51
Mods for your car.... there's a few places to start with the V50 and S40.

1 - IPD Rear Rollbar - makes the handling a million percent better.
2 - Eibach sports Springs
3 - Braided brake lines (really improves the brake feel.)
4 - Bilstein dampers - improve the ride and handling no end
5 - EST strut brace

In terms of sports pads and discs, don't bother - just get braided brake lines and maybe some Ferodo pads, the stock items are pretty good. You should be able to put 1.8 springs on a 2L as I can't really see them being that much different.

2.0L petrol tuning... prob not really worth the effort! you could try removing the sound insulation from under the bonnet.

18" wheels will really make the ride MUCH harder on the S40/V50, I've had both and the ride is way way better on 17's (got 17" OZ on at the moment) - if you want to maximize driving dynamics you may wish to consider a switch.

Where are you based? You're welcome to come see the mods on mine if you so wish :)

http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy236/s40t5_ben/New%20OZ%20Alloys/IMG_4660.jpg

V50COL
Tuesday 25th January 2011, 14:43
Cheers for the advice. Had heard that the Eibachs would probably fit although I was told to use 2.0D springs but they wouldn't lower as much due to weight difference. Wasn't sure if any 2 litre petrol Focus stuff would be the same? Where do you recommend for stuff? Cheers.

Rob_ioClean
Tuesday 25th January 2011, 14:52
always fancied a V50, how does it handle?

t5_monkey
Tuesday 25th January 2011, 15:47
Cheers for the advice. Had heard that the Eibachs would probably fit although I was told to use 2.0D springs but they wouldn't lower as much due to weight difference. Wasn't sure if any 2 litre petrol Focus stuff would be the same? Where do you recommend for stuff? Cheers.

2.0D has a lot more weight in the nose, your spring rates would be way out using them, I wouldn't bother (they prob just had a pair in stock they wanted rid of!)

Focus springs should fit AFAIK - a pair for the Focus 2L might be the way to go.

V50COL
Tuesday 25th January 2011, 23:44
Thanks again, one of my mates who used to be in our Rally Team has his own garage and motorsport preperation sideline is an Eibach dealer, so I'll get him to check it out. If I can get a set of springs on, hopefully get 4wheel alignment done at the same time. What tyres do you prefer?,as car had Pirellis on when I bought car, but not forking out£190 a tyre. Put 2 Toyos on front last February, and 2 Khumos on rear in August. 2 on the front nearly shot already and have only done about 6,000 miles.

t5_monkey
Tuesday 25th January 2011, 23:57
I've had Vreds (ultrac and ultrac sessanta, Pirelli P6000's, budgets and Conti Contact Sport 3) on mine.

By far the best... Conti Contact Sport 3 - amazing tyre, your car will feel very different and much better. 225's will fit on the front, put 215's on the back to avoid wheelarch rub (you may get away with 225 but you may not! depending on your offset and rim width)

225's fit on my 17"x7.5 ET40 rims on the front no probs, I'm running 205's on the back and it's nicely balanced in the corners (has dialled out some of the nose heaviness).

I've got Eibachs on mine, I'm very happy with em.

Probably the best and first upgrade to do is get a strut brace, and maybe braided brake lines - followed by the IPD rollbar.

All depends how much you wanna spend :)

allinghami
Thursday 17th March 2011, 16:47
How we doin'? Just joined this site, so new to the forums. Had a V50 2.0 Sport for a couple of years now and is out of warranty. Just wondering if anybody knows what performance discs(EBC etc), and Lowering springs I can get for a 2litre petrol, as most of the sites I have been on, only list 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0D cars. What can be used on my car? It already has 18s, winter pack, roof rails and upgraded stereo as it was Volvo dealers manager who had it before me, so looking for sensible mods please.

Just to let you know I have a V50 2.0D Sport and have fitted Kumho 225/45/18 tyres instead of recommended 215s. They look better, the handling doesn't seem affected, they were cheaper (than 215s) and I don't keep kerbing the rims!

allinghami
Thursday 17th March 2011, 16:51
Thanks again, one of my mates who used to be in our Rally Team has his own garage and motorsport preperation sideline is an Eibach dealer, so I'll get him to check it out. If I can get a set of springs on, hopefully get 4wheel alignment done at the same time. What tyres do you prefer?,as car had Pirellis on when I bought car, but not forking out£190 a tyre. Put 2 Toyos on front last February, and 2 Khumos on rear in August. 2 on the front nearly shot already and have only done about 6,000 miles.

Recommend Kumhos, Quiet, reasonable performance and mileage. Have a V50 2.0D Sport with 18" rims. Recommended boots are 215/45/18, but recently fitted 225/45/18 Kuhmos (as were last 215s). The 225s look better, were cheaper, handle as well and prevent me kerbing the rims!