PDA

View Full Version : S60r heavy steering.

STEVO RRR
Friday 21st January 2011, 16:13
Can anyone help with this?I`ve noticed lately I`m having to use more effort to steer my R.The car is perfectly driveable but needs more effort to turn the wheel.There`s a slight jerkiness on turn in that comes and goes

I`m not losing any fluids and power assistance is there,just not as much.
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks Guys

Steve.

timmy 2000
Sunday 23rd January 2011, 09:56
Hi Steve
This happened to mine Have You tried to change the fluid in the tank. It helped with my steering. Just empty the tank and then top up to level, repeat a couple of times and your done.

hope it helps

tim

STEVO RRR
Monday 24th January 2011, 11:58
Hi Steve
This happened to mine Have You tried to change the fluid in the tank. It helped with my steering. Just empty the tank and then top up to level, repeat a couple of times and your done.

hope it helps

tim

Thanks Tim I`ll give it a try.I take it you use new fluid every time do you?

I`ve heard the speed control module could be responsible too.

Steve.

Santa
Monday 24th January 2011, 14:03
Had something similar a few years ago, had the steering fluid changed and one of the pipes shortened.

timmy 2000
Tuesday 25th January 2011, 08:00
Hi Steve
Yep new fluid and if you want to see if the speed control module has gone unplug it! I did and it go's very heavy .

Tim

LeeT5
Wednesday 26th January 2011, 02:23
Hi Steve
Yep new fluid and if you want to see if the speed control module has gone unplug it! I did and it go's very heavy .

Tim

Unfortunately unplugging the 'speed control module' or 'speed sensitive control relay' (under the drivers foot well) won't prove anything. Of course the steering will get very heavy because it will go into limp mode.
If your getting sudden problems with your steering Steve then its not going to be fluid. Power steering fluid doesn't suddenly decide one day that it is going to make your steering stiff. The way to check your fluid is simple. Dip your finger in the reservoir and see what colour it is. It should be red and not brown. then smell your finger. If it smells burnt then it time for a fluid change. You will see air bubbles...this is normal and nothing to worry about.

The likely problem with your steering is almost certainly the Speed sensitive control relay. It's a common fault and i had to replace mine last year. It costs about £85 from the dealer. Called a speed control module, it lives above the brake pedal anchored by a very strong metal spring clip with very sharp teeth. Be careful! I found mine had moved and was jammed against a bulk head bolt causing damage to the head of the relay not visible until you get it out.

Symptoms are intermittant loss of steering control resulting in the steering feeling heavy. It usually resets when turning off the ignition but comes back sooner or later. Eventually it will fail alltogether and driving will not be easy. When i replaced mine it made a huge difference.

I have a thread on here about this....
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31569&highlight=speed+sensitive+steering

Changing the steering fluid will not cure your problem.

PAVLIE
Wednesday 26th January 2011, 02:40
Dip your finger in the reservoir and see what colour it is. It should be red and not brown.

RED! I am sure mine is a golden yellowy colour!

STEVO RRR
Wednesday 26th January 2011, 12:25
Unfortunately unplugging the 'speed control module' or 'speed sensitive control relay' (under the drivers foot well) won't prove anything. Of course the steering will get very heavy because it will go into limp mode.
If your getting sudden problems with your steering Steve then its not going to be fluid. Power steering fluid doesn't suddenly decide one day that it is going to make your steering stiff. The way to check your fluid is simple. Dip your finger in the reservoir and see what colour it is. It should be red and not brown. then smell your finger. If it smells burnt then it time for a fluid change. You will see air bubbles...this is normal and nothing to worry about.

The likely problem with your steering is almost certainly the Speed sensitive control relay. It's a common fault and i had to replace mine last year. It costs about £85 from the dealer. Called a speed control module, it lives above the brake pedal anchored by a very strong metal spring clip with very sharp teeth. Be careful! I found mine had moved and was jammed against a bulk head bolt causing damage to the head of the relay not visible until you get it out.

Symptoms are intermittant loss of steering control resulting in the steering feeling heavy. It usually resets when turning off the ignition but comes back sooner or later. Eventually it will fail alltogether and driving will not be easy. When i replaced mine it made a huge difference.

I have a thread on here about this....
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31569&highlight=speed+sensitive+steering

Changing the steering fluid will not cure your problem.

Thanks Lee.I`ll try the fluid change first but I am expecting to have to change the SCM.When do you ever get away with the easy option on an R?

The steering just feels heavier at low speeds and still heavier at higher speeds so the speed-sensitive bit does seem to be adjusting to the speed of the car.

The fluid hasnt been changed for a while so it wont hurt to do this anyway.The price for the SCM is now £80.50 +Vat.I`ll let you know how it goes

Steve

LeeT5
Sunday 30th January 2011, 19:15
Thanks Lee.I`ll try the fluid change first but I am expecting to have to change the SCM.When do you ever get away with the easy option on an R?

...Believe me, changing the SCM is alot easier than changing the fluid! You just need a torqs screwdriver and a torch.

Just remember when changing the fluid the front wheels must be off the ground. Then once changed you will need to purge the air from the system, engine running, steering slowy - lock to lock until cavitation has gone and steering is smooth.

LeeT5
Sunday 30th January 2011, 19:21
RED! I am sure mine is a golden yellowy colour!

Try dripping some onto a piece of white paper. it should definately be red, NOT brown, yellow or anything else...just red. If it isn't red then it need replacing. To be honest, changing the fluid won't make much difference other than it will be quieter.

STEVO RRR
Monday 31st January 2011, 12:50
Try dripping some onto a piece of white paper. it should definately be red, NOT brown, yellow or anything else...just red. If it isn't red then it need replacing. To be honest, changing the fluid won't make much difference other than it will be quieter.

Thanks Lee.I`ll be changing the fluid on Wednesday this week.Changing the fluid is easy.Take off bottom hose from tank,run engine for 10,15 seconds to let the pump pump it out and then refill and bleed out the air.
Just as a footnote,the fluid/oil I got from Volvo is GREEN.

I`ll let you know how it goes.

Steve

STEVO RRR
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 22:21
OK So I changed the fluid today but steering is still not right.The old fluid was rotten and no doubt needed changing so its no bad thing.Steering IS a little smoother but it`s not right yet.

I`ll order the speed control module and hope this works.

This part has to come from Sweden and takes up to a week apparently.????
Must come over by Viking Longship

Steve

Jimmie
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 11:38
Did you give Rufe a call to save you some money or was it AC with very little discount?.

STEVO RRR
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 12:28
Did you give Rufe a call to save you some money or was it AC with very little discount?.

No I just called AC with no discount.£80.50 +VAT.

To be honest I just want it fixed now.All these parts come from Sweden so the delay in getting it up from Wales wouldn`t have been worth it.With the postage costs I`d only save a tenner.

Big Steve at AC is a good guy and shares my pain.Is`nt it depressing that I know all the guys first names at AC?

Steve.

Jimmie
Thursday 3rd February 2011, 19:37
No I just called AC with no discount.£80.50 +VAT

Big Steve at AC is a good guy and shares my pain.Is`nt it depressing that I know all the guys first names at AC?

Steve.

So do i but there discount is rubbish butyou could always get steve a new pushbike,he would like you even better.lol
Glad you didn't decide to sell the R but enjoy it.

STEVO RRR
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 19:41
...Believe me, changing the SCM is alot easier than changing the fluid! You just need a torqs screwdriver and a torch.

Just remember when changing the fluid the front wheels must be off the ground. Then once changed you will need to purge the air from the system, engine running, steering slowy - lock to lock until cavitation has gone and steering is smooth.

Christ .Just changed the scm and thankfully all is well although my son still thinks its too heavy.I disagree.The steering has always been firmish.
Lee I can only assume you have a geartronic cos,trust me,that was a tough job.My son had to remove the instrument cluster as the clutch mechanism made it impossible to get it from underneath.He was on his back for an hour in the footwell trying to secure the new relay in but to no avail.We are having to secure it in with insulating tape tomorrow but at least its working.

One problem has arisen though.The AMBER SRS AIRBAG SERVICE REQUIRED light has come on so I need to have this cleared.I`m sure its just to do with the dash being taken off.

Does anyone know how to do this without taking it to a dealer?
Thanks in advance.
Steve

Jimmie
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 20:08
If you know a garage with Bosch Diagnostics box that is up to date they should be able to clear or read the codes for very little cash as that is what i do.
I dont go near the local volvo dealer for anything unless i can help it even warranty work as they always say,and how would you like to for it pay sir.

STEVO RRR
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 22:05
If you know a garage with Bosch Diagnostics box that is up to date they should be able to clear or read the codes for very little cash as that is what i do.
I dont go near the local volvo dealer for anything unless i can help it even warranty work as they always say,and how would you like to for it pay sir.

Thanks Jimmie.I`ll give Volvo a call just to compare.I think I`ll just turn up somewhere?(nationwide auto centre) and have it done while I wait.It only takes 5 minutes.
It`s worth remembering to disconnect the negative lead off the battery if you`re doing any electrics around the dash.The SRS warning is always the one that trips.

volvokid
Thursday 10th February 2011, 10:45
The less said about stevie the better, ive known him since I was probably about 13 he was tight and arrogant then and even more so now that I have been a customer....

LeeT5
Saturday 12th February 2011, 12:24
Lee I can only assume you have a geartronic cos,trust me,that was a tough job.My son had to remove the instrument cluster as the clutch mechanism made it impossible to get it from underneath.He was on his back for an hour in the footwell trying to secure the new relay in but to no avail.We are having to secure it in with insulating tape tomorrow but at least its working.

One problem has arisen though.The AMBER SRS AIRBAG SERVICE REQUIRED light has come on so I need to have this cleared.I`m sure its just to do with the dash being taken off.

Does anyone know how to do this without taking it to a dealer?
Thanks in advance.
Steve

Err, No. I have a manual and i didn't have to remove any part of the dash to change mine! LOL, what are you doing man? The SCM are fitted in the same place across the range, held on by a very strong metal retaining clip. They are a bitch to get to but you don't have to go to the extremes of removing the clutch mech or any other part of the dash other than what i told you originally....the drivers side lower dash panel above the pedals - held up by two torques screws. Yes i cut my hand and yes i too was on my back for about 10 minutes but thats it.

Don't take this the wrong way but are you sure your son knows what he's doing?

LeeT5
Saturday 12th February 2011, 12:29
Thanks Lee.I`ll be changing the fluid on Wednesday this week.Changing the fluid is easy.Take off bottom hose from tank,run engine for 10,15 seconds to let the pump pump it out and then refill and bleed out the air.
Just as a footnote,the fluid/oil I got from Volvo is GREEN.

I`ll let you know how it goes.

Steve

Green? I will check on that, sounds like they gave you the wrong type of fluid.

Jimmie
Saturday 12th February 2011, 13:53
Rufe will have your stuff delivered to your door faster that AC will have it in there store,due to there location.
Believe me been there done that and bought the tee shirt.
Dealerships dont always use maker products ie oils
Did you get the codes read and cleared?.

STEVO RRR
Sunday 13th February 2011, 19:13
Err, No. I have a manual and i didn't have to remove any part of the dash to change mine! LOL, what are you doing man? The SCM are fitted in the same place across the range, held on by a very strong metal retaining clip. They are a bitch to get to but you don't have to go to the extremes of removing the clutch mech or any other part of the dash other than what i told you originally....the drivers side lower dash panel above the pedals - held up by two torques screws. Yes i cut my hand and yes i too was on my back for about 10 minutes but thats it.

Don't take this the wrong way but are you sure your son knows what he's doing?

yeah taking out the dash was a waste of time but its not easy.the scm is still not secured so its not right.Its going in to AC on Thursday but they dont know how to do it either.they`ve quoted me an hours labour so I`ll see how it goes.
As for my son he is Volvo trained but has never done one before.He`s a great mechanic and changed the angle gear components a few years ago,the cambelt,brakes,headlight gubbins so he knows his stuff.
I didnt do anything with the scm so I cant say how difficult the job is but hes had 2 attempts and cant secure the spring clip.Hes been very ill lately and has lost an awful lot of weight and muscle but,bless him,he done his best.

STEVO RRR
Sunday 13th February 2011, 19:18
Rufe will have your stuff delivered to your door faster that AC will have it in there store,due to there location.
Believe me been there done that and bought the tee shirt.
Dealerships dont always use maker products ie oils
Did you get the codes read and cleared?.

I hear you on Rufe but I was just a bit
fed up with this latest problem and wanted it sorted.
The PS fluid was in a Volvo bottle so is the right one.My son said it should be green too.
The car is in AC on Thursday for the scm so I`m hoping they clear the code at the same time.They charge £45 + Vat so I`m hoping they`ll do it as a `goodwill` gesture.Some chance!!
Steve

STEVO RRR
Thursday 17th February 2011, 21:11
OK.Car was in at Arnolds today for the SCM to be secured.Apparently theres a panel inside the engine bay which is where you locate the CEM.The SCM was secured in another port and rewired so all is well with that
Anyway steering was still not right so they checked everything and found the universal joint on the steering arm has seized.Thank """"!

She goes in next Thursday for a new UJ at a total cost of £173 so not too bad.

i thought it was the rack and was basically ****ting myself waiting for the diagnosis.
Airbag fault code was cleared free of charge so overall I had a good experience at Arnolds.

Steve

jay30h
Friday 18th February 2011, 10:37
If you can get to the uj spray it with some light grade oil or even wd40 and exersise the steering , that might cure your fault

STEVO RRR
Saturday 19th February 2011, 20:09
If you can get to the uj spray it with some light grade oil or even wd40 and exersise the steering , that might cure your fault

Thanks for that Jay.I`ve decided to get it fixed once and for all It`s the steering and Its an R so I dont want to compromise.Besides they said its seized and requires a new one.There was no pressure on me but I am regularly well over the ton in this thing so I need it changed for my own piece of mind.

Once this is done and the reversing light switch changed shes perfect.

Steve

t5 stealth
Tuesday 22nd February 2011, 19:28
i cant recall the set up of this model but if it has a column uj that is tight or starting to sieze then that will impare the steering and make it heavier.
does it feel notchy or rough to turn...
if you can see a uj on it then maybe a squirt of wd40 might improve it and prove the problem,.

STEVO RRR
Thursday 24th February 2011, 21:19
i cant recall the set up of this model but if it has a column uj that is tight or starting to sieze then that will impare the steering and make it heavier.
does it feel notchy or rough to turn...
if you can see a uj on it then maybe a squirt of wd40 might improve it and prove the problem,.

It was very notchy,rough,heavy and generally horrible.Car was in at Arnolds today,steering coupling was changed and everything is so sweet and ssmmoootthh.It feels like a different car.

Steve.