PDA

View Full Version : Rear bushes knackered do i scrap car dont want to ????

watchmytracer
Wednesday 19th January 2011, 21:55
Hi all i have had my 850 t5 in to my local one man band for a check up.i thought this would reveal a problem with top mount rubbers which it did but this is not the problem excuse my crap terminology as i try to explain.He has shown me on the ramp major play in the rear bushes which sit forward of the main suspension and self leveling bits. the link on the rear arms which has the double end on it i think they are quite a large items and he has told me they are not cheap and there is a lot of work required to change them? such as taking both sides off can anyone explain how long this should take and costs please.i dont really want to get rid of car as i love it interior cream leather is very very good condition so i have bought an 2.4 v70 for now as i dont think it is safe to drive till i decide what to do .also how much should 2 front top rubber mounts cost to do cheers

watchmytracer
Wednesday 19th January 2011, 21:57
trailing arm link i think it is

Alan M
Wednesday 19th January 2011, 22:04
Trailing arm bushes or delta links? They can be had fairly cheaply as pattern items but they don't last very long at all. Genuine items from Rufe are the best bet for longevity and fit but they are considerably more. Both jobs are a little tricky but with the right tools can be done in not vast amounts of time. A good garage should be able to give you a breakdown on costs and what is involved in the job and not leave you too far out of pocket. But if they use genuine parts your bill will go up and may not seem worthwhile depending on what and why you own your car.

watchmytracer
Wednesday 19th January 2011, 22:11
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/17931/nm/1994_1997_Volvo_850_Turbo_Rear_Trailing_Arm_Link/category_id/190

Volvostorm
Wednesday 19th January 2011, 22:22
The delta links, haven't had to do them on mine, there a special tool that helps alot, but its normally only Volvo themselves that has it :(

dave854
Wednesday 19th January 2011, 22:30
you can buy that tool from volvo, its about £30.

nobananas
Wednesday 19th January 2011, 22:35
Other option might be a complete second hand rear axle from a low mileage late 70 series classic. Only held on by the outer bushes and shocks (okay and the handbrake cables and brake pipes !) so could be swapped over as a complete assembly fairly quickly (can you tell that my bushes are also knackered and I've already thought about this !)

watchmytracer
Wednesday 19th January 2011, 22:53
chap said brake pipes run on top so would not be a problem.i know a man breaking 4 850 t5s so i could get any parts but think it would be beyond me to do (dont know).

dave854
Thursday 20th January 2011, 08:15
the tool number is 9995497 if any one is interested :) I too had thought about changing the complete rear axle, not too much of a job but you need a bit of time and plenty of space!

Volvostorm
Thursday 20th January 2011, 08:54
Thats true, we did it to T4_Al's car a couple of mouths ago, its a fairly straight forward swop, just spray all the bolts with wd-40 a few days before doing the job

watchmytracer
Thursday 20th January 2011, 18:05
Hi went to scrappy today he has loads of 850-t5 stuff he said i could have complete rear of car axles and springs etc for £70 taken off by them rubber bushes look near new is this ok?

nobananas
Thursday 20th January 2011, 20:14
Hi went to scrappy today he has loads of 850-t5 stuff he said i could have complete rear of car axles and springs etc for £70 taken off by them rubber bushes look near new is this ok?

Sounds pretty reasonable, I would go for a 70 classic though given the choice, simply because they will be newer, I would want to examine the bushes first before handing over the cash.