PDA

View Full Version : Crank pressure?

bowman
Thursday 21st July 2005, 19:45
Hi, my t-5 has an oil leak problem. Oil is slowly seeping from the rear of the engine and at the front, just below the oil pressure switch.

Looking through old service bills it appears the car has done this before. Dealer print off says 'excess crank pressure is forcing oil out of various seals'

The fix was the cleaning of the oil seperator box.

I have cleaned this out, but oil is still leaking. Thinking it was again excess crank pressure I tried running the car with the pipe from seperator to the inlet disconnected. This made the oil leak 20 times worse!
(My guess is the breather system needs suction form the inlet to releave the pressure?)

Has anyone encounted this problem before? I'm going to get a compression test done ASAP. The car is now for sale, but I want this problem fixing before it sold.

Any ideas would be appriceiated

Goof
Thursday 21st July 2005, 19:57
Is the flame trap blocked? - Volvo now don't replace this, they just bust it through as it's not needed apparently (on my 850).
Check your dealer if unsure of facts.

bowman
Thursday 21st July 2005, 20:37
do the turbo's have a flame trap?

Not_Gwaredd
Thursday 21st July 2005, 20:47
Yes, it's a little plastic box beneath the inlet manifold. Parts & pipes cost £100 & it's a manifold off job to replace. Bit of a pig. Don't forget a new inlet manifold gasket if you DIY.

Mine went last yeat & started to blow oil out of the dipstick. Not nice. Apparently, they should be changed every 100,000 miles or every 10 years according to my Volvo mechanic.

Gwaredd.

bowman
Thursday 21st July 2005, 21:57
Thanks, i cleaned this out a few weeks ago when I replaced the inlet manifold gasket. I seemed ok, but i didnt know how to test it , think I 'll buy a new one. cheers