PDA

View Full Version : Jacking v70 properly , a lesson in itself ?

mas
Saturday 15th January 2011, 11:43
LO all ,

Remembering I have only ever jacked a car up with a scissor jack and changed a wheel, thus the points are in front of you in Black and White :)

I have my trolley jack but see that it hads a castle like top. Looking to jack the front of the V70 up and put two 'axle stands in place'
( to do front brakes) I looked under the car and the only solid piece of car I see is the cross member which had a couple of holes which are recessed near the centre. There is nowhere for the 'castle top' on the trolley jack to fit in any little slots so the whole weight (and grip) of the car would be on the top lips of the 'ramparts' and that didn't look right to me. Also the jack seems to try and come foreward as i lift.

First question, is this the corrct place to jack the front up please and do you as i have red on the web put a piece of rubber or similar on the top of our trolley jack for grip or is this not necessary.

2nd part, I always assumed 'axle stands' are just that but on looking under the car of course there isn't anything as solid as a 'front axle' and reading on the web I see people now call them 'jack stands'

Where do 'you' put the jack stands on your V70 please, Google reveals some very strange and varied answers.

Not a great start for my first fixing session I know.

Regards Mas

Tomcat
Saturday 15th January 2011, 12:27
Provided you can get the jack under the front of the car then jacking it on the cross member is fine, the car may move a little as you jack it up but provided the wheels on the jack stay firmly on the ground and it doesn't start to tip it's ok. I usually put my jack stands where the track control arms go into the cross member, usually I lower the car down onto the stands but don't let the jack all the way off, that way if one of the stand does slip you've still got the jack there to support the weight of the car.

mas
Saturday 15th January 2011, 12:43
I have taken the castle bit off . Also I think I will try and make a rubber cup though from a hockey puk seems popular as it all looks a bit 'slippey'. I'm assuming you mean actually on the ends of the cross member hopefully I'll understand exactly where you are saying when I look again Ta

Mas

Tomcat
Saturday 15th January 2011, 12:48
I wouldn't try jacking the car up without the castleated part as otherwise you're just jacking up on the flat part of the jack and that will have no grip. If your worried then stick a flat piece of wood between the jack and the cross member. It's all down to experience at the end of the day, if your not sure or you don't feel safe then don't go under the car, it's your safety that counts.

LiamT4
Saturday 15th January 2011, 12:54
Off topic, but are you still looking for an auto t4?

This has been on for a few months, but has come down £300 in price

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201101376432327/sort/priceasc/usedcars/transmission/automatic/price-to/2000/make/volvo/radius/1500/postcode/le39qb/keywords/t4/page/1?logcode=p

mas
Sunday 16th January 2011, 14:26
LO m8ee , I am aware of that car. I have as you say seen it at £1895 or 1995 ish and thought it was overpriced. Folk excpect 'juicy' cars cheep these days don't they. At the minute I keep thinking to myself do I bother with a fun car that will need its own full no claims ( dump the T5 and use it on the T5 T4) or do I get a classic car so I can have another classic policy ( which I only pay 120 per year for) and keep the T5.

I have 'seriously' consideed a tade policy of late so I can change cars when I want BUT the lack of windscreen cover when living down gritty country lanes worries me a lot.

Bit of a long answer sorry :smile:

Mas

JelT5
Sunday 16th January 2011, 15:27
I wouldn't try jacking the car up without the castleated part as otherwise you're just jacking up on the flat part of the jack and that will have no grip. If your worried then stick a flat piece of wood between the jack and the cross member. It's all down to experience at the end of the day, if your not sure or you don't feel safe then don't go under the car, it's your safety that counts.

What he said!
Safety is of primary importance...these ovlovs do weigh a bit and it's definitely not good practice to support them with your ribcage or any limbs!

mightywolf
Sunday 16th January 2011, 18:36
I usually put my axle stands on the rear of the sub frame at either side. I usually jack it from the sub frame aswell. If I'm jacking up the whole front I just put it on the front cross piece of the subframe, jack it and then get the axle stands on the rear of the subframe at either side. Like tomcat said aswell I leave the jack there unless its in the way but make sure the car is lowered on to the axle stands.

mas
Sunday 16th January 2011, 18:37
To be fair , I think I made it very obvious that :wink:

1) I'm not stupid enough to get under a car not properly supported.
2) I'm not actually looking to get under the car at this stage , just to change the pads.
3) I am though very happy to get practical tips about how to do anything !

Regards

Mas

nobananas
Sunday 16th January 2011, 20:03
I remember when I was a kid (about 13-14 I think) I was changing the front brake pads on my old mans Chevette. Jacked up one front corner at a time, took off road wheel, slid white pasty legs under front hub and proceeded to push, pull, yank and tug away at the brake caliper until the inevitable happened and I pulled the car off the jack and onto myself !. Luckily I got pinned but didn't get anything crushed, just couldn't get my legs out, unluckily my parents weren't home and I didn't get released for several hours !. Lesson learnt young !
I tend to jack up the Volvo one corner at a time and at the front usually under the rear subframe mount so that the cup of the jack sits under the subframe bolt, then sit an axle stand under the subframe around the TCA mounts. If I'm doing one side at a time then I let the jack down onto the stand and let it settle, shake the car to make sure it's safe, then raise the jack again so it's just putting pressure back on the car , two supports have got to be safer than one in my book.

LiamT4
Sunday 16th January 2011, 20:58
LO m8ee , I am aware of that car. I have as you say seen it at £1895 or 1995 ish and thought it was overpriced. Folk excpect 'juicy' cars cheep these days don't they. At the minute I keep thinking to myself do I bother with a fun car that will need its own full no claims ( dump the T5 and use it on the T5 T4) or do I get a classic car so I can have another classic policy ( which I only pay 120 per year for) and keep the T5.

I have 'seriously' consideed a tade policy of late so I can change cars when I want BUT the lack of windscreen cover when living down gritty country lanes worries me a lot.

Bit of a long answer sorry :smile:

Mas

What classic you interested in?
I wanted this
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2149880.htm

Hope to get one some day.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/largepic.asp?i=2149880&noPics=9&imgsrv=1&current=1&make=BMW&model=OTHERMODELS

mightywolf
Monday 17th January 2011, 21:49
To be fair , I think I made it very obvious that :wink:

1) I'm not stupid enough to get under a car not properly supported.
2) I'm not actually looking to get under the car at this stage , just to change the pads.
3) I am though very happy to get practical tips about how to do anything !

Regards

Mas

:redface: oops sorry mas. Didn't mean to sound patronising or anything, and certainly wasn't trying to make out you were stupid.
:worship: I apologise without reserve if it came over like that.
Sorry again.

woz
Tuesday 18th January 2011, 19:52
Briefly - gotta go for tea...
Put a piece of carpet on the cup shaped bits - improves grip, stops chipping the paint/undershield etc.
Make sure trolley jack on smooth surface - I do it on gravle and the wheels dont roll very well - makes it unstable - dont do as I do do as I say ;>))
Carefull with wood as it can split suddenly.
Put wheels under car then if it drops it stops off teh ground, on the wheel not your head. Assumes your head more valuable than wheel. (mine may be dubious;>)
Keep asking for tips, we all llike to help.

W

mas
Tuesday 18th January 2011, 20:01
I will survive and not just because I know you'd love me ( eer in a hetro sort of way)
if you knew me :P

I'll continue to gather opinions and tips as I know naff all about fixing cars. Ironically I do generally seem to be able to buy a gooden though which is handy as I buy a few.

Note to self : Mas has just guaranteed his next car will be an utter dog and that he will hugely regret the above statement.