PDA

View Full Version : coilover conversion kit

proudy202
Friday 14th January 2011, 10:18
Hi,

I have owned my C70 T5 for 3 months now and have decided to uprate the suspension, I have looked at lowering springs but want coilovers...(my last car was a Honda Vex on cpilovers...handled like a go-kart)

Has anybody used these coilovers conversion kits from rallydesign?

I have a couple of questions..

1: Can the standard dampers be taken apart and inserts fitted?
2: what spring rate would be good for the ovlov, bearing in mind I do 70 miles on the motorway a day
3: Does anybody have a spare pair of dampers I can have/buy cheap, to play around with?

Sorry for all the questions
Cheers
Ash

BruceT
Friday 14th January 2011, 10:58
Id personally just buy a coilover kit... There is Jamex ones for around £500.

FK Highsports and Silverlines can be had for circa £600-700.

C70 is a big car, id do it properly, then you dont have to mess around with Spring rates and old soggy dampers

Flatout Phil
Friday 14th January 2011, 11:33
What benefit would I notice over my standard R setup with coilovers bearing in mind that I already have IPD f&r anti-roll bars? It handles pretty flat on corners anyway.

MWT5
Saturday 15th January 2011, 18:09
As far as I know the standard struts are a sealed unit,crimped over where the chrome rod enters the shock unit.you could still strip the strut and remove the spring and fit the threaded tube over the strut body and use aftermarket springs and strut tops.
As for spring rates it's trail and error unless you can find out what the standard spring rate is for the t5.

t5_monkey
Saturday 15th January 2011, 21:30
What benefit would I notice over my standard R setup with coilovers bearing in mind that I already have IPD f&r anti-roll bars? It handles pretty flat on corners anyway.

You'd notice how it feels like you've been punched in the spine after every drive (from what I've heard about coilovers!)

better handling compared to sports springs + dampers but only if you're going mental or on a circuit.

Asked this on a few forums, consensus is... dampers and springs for road, coil-overs if you're going on the track.

I'm on IPD roll bar, springs and B8 Bilstein Dampers and it handles brilliantly, can't really imagine how it could handle better without compromising the ride.