PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug gaps

silverswedemachine
Thursday 13th January 2011, 20:58
Has anyone experimented with the plug gaps on their machines, i know alot of ya are runnin some sort of re-map with extra boost, i have a forced induction tuning book and it states:

"The ignition spark from a wide gap is larger than that from a narrower gap, so a larger initial combustion flame is generated, assisting low-rpm running. However, at high engine speeds and high combustion pressures the coil is not able to supply electrical energy of sufficient intensity to jump the spark gap, so the gap must be reduced to avoid a high-speed misfire, etc etc..."

My T5 currently is running the standard Volvo fine-tip No.7 plug with the standard 0.7 - 0.8mm gap... Was wonderin if plugs from an 'R' would be better, as it runs more boost as standard (even though it is a short period), my thinkin is that a cooler plug will keep cylinder temperatures down abit and reduce chances of knock...

This may well be the best setup, cheers for lookin... watto...

silverswedemachine
Thursday 13th January 2011, 21:15
EDIT: It has volvo plugs but dont think they are '7' plugs, thats the number i plucked from the haynes manual, which state Champion.... Dohhh!! :confused:

pookie
Thursday 13th January 2011, 22:42
However if you fit an uprated coil ( like a Masterblaster ) you can if you wish, open up the plug gaps.

Salut!

Pookie

siamblue
Thursday 13th January 2011, 22:50
Running 28 thou on mine..