PDA

View Full Version : 999 on speed dial?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 12th January 2011, 01:20
I was on my way down the back roads between Telford & Nantwich. Just outside Audlem on a National - I was following a PUG 106. Came around a right hand bend - not excessively quick as I remember - but he obvious was going a bit quick for his own traction - as right in front of me his back wheels slid nearside onto the muddy bank verge (these lanes are surrounded by highsided hedges) and BANG! stacked it on to its roof.

I slammed on the anchors & stopped some good 20 or 30 yards short. I reversed and stuck my hazards on. Thankfully by the time I ran over to see whether the driver was OK - the young lad had clambered out. The nearside on his roof had really taken a beating. It was lucky there was no passengers. I tell you those french things offer little protection.

As soon as it appeared it would be ok - I called the police. I asked them to send a paramedic too! Even though the young lad was walking & talking. Problem was I had no idea where I was (road name or location!!) - so got one of the other drivers to work it out.

Anyway I got the warning triangle out on my side of the incident and got it down the lane. I had already seen 1 or 2 cars get precious close to the end of my C70!

Managed to organise a number of the car - as the tailback was beginning to grow. Even managed to help an Artic 44 tonner reverse in the dark back down a farm track so he could go another route.

Police soon arrived. I gave my details/statement. Lad seemed to be fine. I should have taken a photo but it was very dark & felt a little voyeuristic.

As if that wasn't enough. On the way home - one of my neighbours was outside trying to battle a raging car fire with a hose. NOT AGAIN!!!

Thankfully just as I was about to dial again - the fire crew showed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNxF9JVp5T8

Plodmonkey
Wednesday 12th January 2011, 01:29
sounds like a fun night

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 12th January 2011, 01:30
Bloody hell WD, you certainly have had an eventful night.

So whats with the neighbours car fire?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 12th January 2011, 01:37
Just on my way back around 11pm. I had actually stopped on the road where the accident was for a wee while to see if there were any volvo skid marks. There were none. I just wanted to sure in my own mind I wasn't in anyway a contributory factor in him loosing the car on the corner. Anyway if hadn't stopped I would have probably missed the car fire altogether. It was literally just on the corner of my road as I pulled in.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 12th January 2011, 01:45
Thats quite a fire there, wasn't a Ferrari that spotaneously combusted was it? :P

I just wanted to sure in my own mind I wasn't in anyway a contributory factor in him loosing the car on the corner.
I think the fact it was a 106 was quite a large contributory factor LOL

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 12th January 2011, 07:57
Oh dear, oh dear, The Wobbly One will be seeing The Devil next -:firedevil - mark my words!

t5_monkey
Wednesday 12th January 2011, 07:57
move to the East end of Glasgow and every night would be like that :D

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 12th January 2011, 10:45
A very lucky character indeed, especially in such a small car. Im assuming it was on a national speed limit road.

Fills me with warmth to read something like this though, you probably don't realise quite how grateful the driver was to have someone there with him, there is no worse feeling than being alone and confused in the dark after an accident especially if nobody stops and helps. Im sure you know this as well as I do however.

A top bloke Dave, a pat on the back for you good Sir,

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 12th January 2011, 11:31
Suppose I could have reversed and got out of there? There was only space for a motorbike to get passed.

Luckily when I had my own accident - I phoned Adam - who was still working at HLM at the time & he came down very quick.

Emlyn - was your engine still running after you stopped? Mine was. I remember reaching forward in and turning it off!

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 12th January 2011, 20:25
Suppose I could have reversed and got out of there? There was only space for a motorbike to get passed.

Luckily when I had my own accident - I phoned Adam - who was still working at HLM at the time & he came down very quick.

Emlyn - was your engine still running after you stopped? Mine was. I remember reaching forward in and turning it off!

Yes dave engine was still running, the first thing I did was pull the keys out, remarkable really, not sure it did it much good running up side down but still started and ran after I got it back.