PDA

View Full Version : Swirl marks and surface scratches.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 9th January 2011, 18:34
Hi All,

After some advice. I have never had any problem cleaning and polishing cars in the past but this being my first black car I have to admit Im struggling.

I spent a good few hours cleaning and waxing on Saturday but to no real avail if anything the swirl marks and scratches (look to be surface) just seem to be more obvious now than previously.

What is the best thing I can do? I hate looking at it at the moment and want to throw mud all over the car so I cant see the scatches. The bonnet looks like an ice skating ring.

I can take pictures if neccessary to aid diagnosis.

Cheers

blackr
Sunday 9th January 2011, 22:07
Know that feeling well, sounds like it would benefit from a machine polish to remove the swirls. but if your after a less extreme fix possibly try autoglym srp or poorboys blackhole to offer some filling effect followed by a quality wax for the protection.Quite honestley the best place for options would be detailing world

Check out the washing technique to reduce further swirling.

Tomcat
Sunday 9th January 2011, 22:20
Gotta agree with the Poorboys, used to use that on my black R.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 9th January 2011, 22:29
Thanks chaps, poorboys seems affordable too at £12 a bottle. My only concern is it says this on some websites:

Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze for Dark Vehicles allows you to hide minor imperfections on dark vehicles until you can remove them.

Does this mean you need to use another product first?

macp
Monday 10th January 2011, 00:02
Thanks chaps, poorboys seems affordable too at £12 a bottle. My only concern is it says this on some websites:

Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze for Dark Vehicles allows you to hide minor imperfections on dark vehicles until you can remove them.

Does this mean you need to use another product first?

I have also had black cars with the same imperfections as yours and the best and only way to get the very best results is to machine polish it.A rotory polisher will cost you less than 50 quid plus a couple of pads and some Menzerna polish.Get yourself an old scrap bonnet to practice on or go for it and take it steady.You will love it.

LiamT4
Monday 10th January 2011, 00:11
Sounds to me like you need to get all the old wax off the car and get right down to the paint to remove the scratches.
As people have already said, a machine polish is a good way to remove scratches/swirlmarks. A good detailing place should be able to do this for about £50.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 10th January 2011, 13:23
I will detail your next car. ;)

I doubt the scratches will buff out of this one?

The Flying Moose
Monday 10th January 2011, 13:32
I will detail your next car. ;)

I doubt the scratches will buff out of this one?

I think you may have a point Dave. Thanks for the kind offer though :)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 10th January 2011, 13:35
Sadly you only get to be a Flight Lt. in the Volvo Aviators. I made proper air - hence Wing Commander was where the Senior Member tag was for sometime ;).

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 11th January 2011, 00:30
Sadly you only get to be a Flight Lt. in the Volvo Aviators. I made proper air - hence Wing Commander was where the Senior Member tag was for sometime ;).

If you want to promote me to Flt Lt that would be fantastic, a damn site more money than my current position of SAC (senior aircraftsman)

The question is who is the squadron leader in the middle of us both?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 11th January 2011, 00:33
Position is currently vacant. Given that you did such a good on this - there may yet be a further promotion??

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 11th January 2011, 00:36
Position is currently vacant. Given that you did such a good on this - there may yet be a further promotion??

I hope not I dont fancy another accident anytime soon!

On a serious note I think I may play with the heavily scratched bonet to see what I can do.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 11th January 2011, 00:39
I have the tools if you wish to borrow them?

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 11th January 2011, 00:46
I have the tools if you wish to borrow them?

Its ok thanks, always a fan of elbow grease :)

mikey
Wednesday 12th January 2011, 10:57
It's a shame you are not closer to me as i own a valeting business and i would get them machine polished out if they weren't to bad,based in Bexhill near Hastings.