PDA

View Full Version : head gasket

thompap
Friday 7th January 2011, 20:59
hi first time on here so please bear with me ive owned a 98 v70 2.5 turbo since august 2010 love it cost me £180 TO get motd all good including a new stat an sensor over this cold spell weve had its had 2litres anti freeze wich i put down to the sub zero temperatures weve had but it kept running never let me down all good now ive done a routine oil check and all down the dipstick the housing and in the oil itself is a substance i can only describe as custard help has my head gasket gone because it still runs like a dream no warning lights on any advice please thanks

BruceT
Friday 7th January 2011, 21:06
Is the car used for short trips? If so, this is probably why you have this On the dipstick as the oil cools in the dipstick tube and doesn't warm up fully.

I bet if you took it for a decent run it would dissapear!

LiamT4
Friday 7th January 2011, 21:18
Same with my S70R mate, its just condensation mixing with the oil, it makes checking the oil level a bit tricky because of the crap thats on it.
Happens a lot in winter when you just do short journeys, i take mine out for a good drive (about 30 miles) and it clears it all up.

Whats the oil like under the filler cap, as this should still look nice and clean.

abdul
Friday 7th January 2011, 21:23
nothing to worry about

Dangerous Dave
Friday 7th January 2011, 23:26
Firstly welcome to the forum.

its had 2litres anti freeze
You saying you've put 2 litres of anti freeze in it over the last couple of months? If so, it shouldn't use any coolant just like any other car, even in cold weather.