PDA

View Full Version : Bit of 87 V70 T5 pre pad change clarification please.

mas
Thursday 6th January 2011, 21:39
Lo there.

Armed with my new Trolley jack and axle stands , I have ordered my set of brake pads 'and' some cleaning spray. Hanv't got my copper slip yet though !. Do I also need 'silicon grease' for the bolts ?

Anyway I have read two guides including Wobbly's of course and think I have most of it covered. However there was a pic on Wobblys guide that showed the copper slip only being applied in ' the corners' if that makes sense. Now please dont say " dont put it n the friction side , I am far from a numpty honest.

But is it really just the top corners on the back tht need the protection or do you put a bit over much of the back. Wobblys pic does seem to specifically show it in those top corners.

Cheers

Mas

Wobbly Dave
Friday 7th January 2011, 00:27
Do you need me to come down & show you?? LOL

The Flying Moose
Friday 7th January 2011, 07:44
There is certainly no harm in applying copper grease to the bolts especially the sliding pin bolts. I have always applied copper grease evenly along the whole surface of the pad. Also a good idea to grease the hub to prevent it "welding" itself on.

Tomcat
Friday 7th January 2011, 08:50
There is certainly no harm in applying copper grease to the bolts especially the sliding pin bolts. I have always applied copper grease evenly along the whole surface of the pad. Also a good idea to grease the hub to prevent it "welding" itself on.

Personaly I wouldn't as anything between the mating faces(hub and disc) can stop it sitting flat and cause serious brake vibration.

mas
Friday 7th January 2011, 09:02
Yes Dave in answer to your question , you are most welcome to come all the way down to Herts, hold my hand cook me a hot dog and generally make me feel loved !

On a serious note , I dont think there is anything wrong with having the brains to ask about what you don't know and be willing to be told. That is how I came to be such a ' know it all' in many areas.
A genuine willingness to learn particularly when safety is involved is to my mind very wise :smileypul

Fortunately there are many areas in which I can return the favour and often do.

Cheers

Mas

The Flying Moose
Friday 7th January 2011, 17:31
Personaly I wouldn't as anything between the mating faces(hub and disc) can stop it sitting flat and cause serious brake vibration.

Thanks for that TC, never actually thought of that as a potential vibration issue, its something I have always done after having to drill through a disk attach rope and tug it off with a car! Perhaps why my wheels always seem unbalanced ;)

Yes Dave in answer to your question , you are most welcome to come all the way down to Herts, hold my hand cook me a hot dog and generally make me feel loved !

On a serious note , I dont think there is anything wrong with having the brains to ask about what you don't know and be willing to be told. That is how I came to be such a ' know it all' in many areas.
A genuine willingness to learn particularly when safety is involved is to my mind very wise

Fortunately there are many areas in which I can return the favour and often do.

Cheers

Mas

A wise man has no dented pride to ask when he is in doubt, a "know all" coward on the other hand just sits in the corner with a forever unanswered question.