PDA

View Full Version : front brake binding

tattoo101
Wednesday 5th January 2011, 23:06
hi all i hit a big pot hole to night on the way home, lucky i was only about 2 miles away (just come of the motorway). when i got home the drivers side brakes were smoking like mad. has anyone any idea why this has happened? it feels like the disc has warpped, but the brake peddle isnt pulsing!!

Volvostorm
Wednesday 5th January 2011, 23:11
It may have damaged the wheel bearing, and the disc isn't now running true in the caliper, and thats why it getting hot

tattoo101
Wednesday 5th January 2011, 23:26
ffs hope not,its my only car and i need it for work(60 mile round trip) mind you it was a bloody big bang. when i was driving home i could feel it braking on each rotation

nobananas
Thursday 6th January 2011, 19:01
I had this happen a few years ago on my way to the Lakes. Was coming out of a contraflow and booted it when the whole car started shaking. Slowed down and the shaking stopped. Pulled off the motorway and the N/S/F disc was glowing and the wheel locked solid. Stripped it at the side of the road and the piston had seized, freed it off and all was well. When I got it home I stripped off the caliper, pulled back the dust cover and the piston was rusty and pitted so a new caliper was required. Check your pin sliders as well and also make sure that the pads haven't seized into the carrier which is very common if the brakes have been poorly cleaned and assembled in the past, if all is well it's likely a seized piston.

tattoo101
Thursday 6th January 2011, 23:07
cheers for that. i will have to waiy till sunday so i can strip the front and have a look. will keep you informed