PDA

View Full Version : empty bottom grille

thunderace
Wednesday 20th July 2005, 23:03
Should there be a grille in the hole under the front bumper on a T5 850? I reckon there should but my local dealer cannot quote me a part number so I can purchase one. Are they er incompetent or if one isn't available what's the easiest way to fill the gap with mesh? Make up a frame or bond it in or...? Cheers guys.

meffs
Wednesday 20th July 2005, 23:18
wobbly dave did one on another car not so long ago and used mesh i think, check the the threads or ask the wobble master himself.

thunderace
Wednesday 20th July 2005, 23:59
cheers meffs

Vikingxl
Thursday 21st July 2005, 08:00
wobbly dave did one on another car not so long ago and used mesh i think, check the the threads or ask the wobble master himself.
It was my car.Just bolt the mesh on using the bumper mounting screws after you have cut it roughly to shape then just bend the bottom round to help keep it in place.

Vikingxl
Thursday 21st July 2005, 12:01
Here is a piccy it took me a while to find it.

thunderace
Thursday 21st July 2005, 12:27
Thanks viking, just so I got it right in my head....plastic bumper off then bolt to metal work etc and replace?
Looks fantastic by the way!

Vikingxl
Thursday 21st July 2005, 19:00
No need to remove the bumper you will probably need to jack the car up to get underneath.
1. Remove the undertray which is held on with a bolt on eitherside.
2. Remove the middle four or six bolts from the top of the bumper.
3. Measure up the mesh as you want enough extrA to bend over the top to bolt through about 40mm and enough on the bottom to bend round to secure.
4. Bend the top of the mesh over at 90 degrees usind a bliock of wood and a hammer.
5.Secure by screwing the bumper bolts back through the mesh.
6. Bend the bottom around the bumper to secure then trim off any excess.
7. Refit undertray makink sure it is slotted in properly at the front.
8. Take piccys and post them on here.

The only other thing i can think of is watch out for the temperature sensor as it was mounted in the undertray on my V70 not sure where it is on the 850.If you are looking to do the side vents as well its probably easier to do them at the same time as its very diffficult to reach them unless you remove the undertray.

Good luck and thanks again to wobbly who helped me do mine.

Good luck

thunderace
Thursday 21st July 2005, 19:33
Thanks for that, Rich

I'll have a go next week and take piccies.

nikgallagher
Friday 22nd July 2005, 08:16
Small blobs of hot glue form a glue-gun here and there can give a bit of added security around the bottom if so desired.

thunderace
Friday 22nd July 2005, 09:42
Cheers Nik

Vikingxl
Saturday 23rd July 2005, 12:52
Mine Has Just Been Up On The Ramp For A New Compressor So Took A Photo While It Was Up Hope It Helps.

Kent Canary
Saturday 23rd July 2005, 13:40
Does no one else have a grille there as standard? I do..! When I first saw this thread I thought I was mistaken but now Ive checked mine to make sure, I have got a diffuser style arrangement with two fins running accross the length of the centre aperture.

You can just about faintly see the lines in this photo

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/southernBBQ/KC_front.jpg

but if you look at the grille on the right its basically the same design as this.

I thought it was odd to have nothing there at all. I thought it might just be an 850 thing but obviously Viking has an S70 too.

Perhaps mines unique..

thunderace
Saturday 23rd July 2005, 19:03
yes a great help - cheers Rich.

Dunno about other T5's but i have just had a look at couple of 850's and one had a grille, and one did not. the grille was same as outer grilles, ie as described by kent canary. weird. the part i was originally given for grille was 9169576 (louvre). it was not even the right shape or size. this was the only part they could find on the system! still, mesh grilles will look better.

Vikingxl
Saturday 23rd July 2005, 19:44
Does no one else have a grille there as standard? I do..! When I first saw this thread I thought I was mistaken but now Ive checked mine to make sure, I have got a diffuser style arrangement with two fins running accross the length of the centre aperture.

but if you look at the grille on the right its basically the same design as this.

I thought it was odd to have nothing there at all. I thought it might just be an 850 thing but obviously Viking has an S70 too.

Perhaps mines unique..
Mine is a V70 and had the original grill you describe but i wanted something different so out it came.

dicky b t5
Saturday 23rd July 2005, 23:15

Perhaps mines unique..

I've got one on my 850 same as yours KC , can both of us be Unique...!lol :haha:

meffs
Saturday 23rd July 2005, 23:38
I've got one on my 850 same as yours KC , can both of us be Unique...!lol :haha:

Nah, must be as common as muck! :haha: I have one too, although it has dropped down behind the 'R' spoiler.

dicky b t5
Sunday 24th July 2005, 00:03
Nah, must be as common as muck! :haha: I have one too, although it has dropped down behind the 'R' spoiler.

Damn ! Thought so....! Think i might have to get meself one of these R spoilers....! :slap:

Vikingxl
Saturday 30th July 2005, 10:27
Thunderace have you sorted it yet????

thunderace
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 12:03
Hey they don't call me Flash cos I'm quick.
Yeah at long last I have fitted the mesh, as soon as I get the pics developed I will post some up. and yep I am still in the stone age, no digital camera!
Cheers for your advice and pics viking.