PDA

View Full Version : Prob with rica

shrekblackR
Saturday 25th December 2010, 13:41
Hi all merry Christmas . I just put my new rica ecu in and the car runs really lumpy on tick over I'm using 99 octaine fuel any ideas cheers guys

smithy
Saturday 25th December 2010, 17:16
Hi all merry Christmas . I just put my new rica ecu in and the car runs really lumpy on tick over I'm using 99 octaine fuel any ideas cheers guys

is the number on the ecu the same as yours mate and is yours manual or auto

shrekblackR
Saturday 25th December 2010, 17:57
Yes mate same numbers and it is auto . It goes like stink just a bit lumpy on tick over

Santa
Saturday 25th December 2010, 19:10
Assume the lumpy idle goes away if you put the original ECU back in?

shrekblackR
Saturday 25th December 2010, 19:58
Assume the lumpy idle goes away if you put the original ECU back in?

Yes mate

shrekblackR
Saturday 25th December 2010, 20:00
Also it is tesco 99 fuel and not shell don't know if this will make a difference

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 25th December 2010, 20:07
Tesco 99 fuel shouldn't make a difference at idle.

The Flying Moose
Saturday 25th December 2010, 21:33
Also it is tesco 99 fuel and not shell don't know if this will make a difference

AS bomb says wouldnt make a difference until thrashing the car at idle they would run happily on 95 chipped so I certainly wouldnt consider the fuel.

As you have said it is fine with the normal ecu you can pretty much rule out fueling/vacuum leak. How is the car to drive in general with the Rica?

I would suggest its a faulty ecu from what you have said but wouldnt put money on it. Im also assuming its a second hand unit so no comeback from a garage with replacements.

t5_monkey
Saturday 25th December 2010, 23:42
If the problem goes away when replacing the ECU... I would think the ECU is the culprit here...

Does the car drive well with the ECU through the rev range...? if it's just idle and only with the uprated ECU sounds a bit of a mysterious software issue.

I know that the MAF sensor can sometimes cause a lumpy idle if it's tired, but I'm clutching at straws here :)

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 26th December 2010, 00:23
Could be a glitch in the new software not controlling the idle valve correctly too.

woody
Sunday 26th December 2010, 01:06
Hi mate, as T5_Monkey said, if the MAF/MAP (what ever you want to call em) sensor is on its last legs, it will produce bizarre eng probs, e.g from non-idle to non-acceleration. I must ask though, did this ECU work properly in its original application?

shrekblackR
Sunday 26th December 2010, 16:14
Hi mate, as T5_Monkey said, if the MAF/MAP (what ever you want to call em) sensor is on its last legs, it will produce bizarre eng probs, e.g from non-idle to non-acceleration. I must ask though, did this ECU work properly in its original application?

Apparently it worked perfect in old car same year and model as mine . But only seems to be bad when cold first thing after that it runs fine and like a rocket boosting at around 15 psi .. Still a bit lumpy when warm but don't cut out . Arrggg I give up

LiamT4
Sunday 26th December 2010, 16:20
Just need to make sure of something, if you put the normal ecu back in, it runs a1 even when thrashing it?

shrekblackR
Sunday 26th December 2010, 16:40
Just need to make sure of something, if you put the normal ecu back in, it runs a1 even when thrashing it?

Yes mate no probs at all with old one in

t5_monkey
Sunday 26th December 2010, 21:33
Yes mate no probs at all with old one in

Try the ECU in a different car to see if you can recreate the fault?

turbo-tuner
Sunday 26th December 2010, 22:22
Apparently it worked perfect in old car same year and model as mine.

Are you 100% sure that the car this ECU came from is identical to yours in every way? For example, are the injectors the same?

LiamT4
Sunday 26th December 2010, 22:27
Are you 100% sure that the car this ECU came from is identical to yours in every way? For example, are the injectors the same?

Thats a very good point. Double check that the car it came off definatly has the same turbo and injectors.

shrekblackR
Tuesday 28th December 2010, 14:17
Well it's been in the car for 3 days and has seemed to sort itself out and now runs like a dream . But many thanks for all your help guys

p fandango
Tuesday 28th December 2010, 15:03
Well it's been in the car for 3 days and has seemed to sort itself out and now runs like a dream . But many thanks for all your help guys
sounds like the ecu's adaption just needed to learn about your car, mine won't even idle for the first few times you crank it over

shrekblackR
Friday 7th January 2011, 07:59
Hi guys got another prob with this rica ecu . On my way home last night my boost went back to standard . Any ideas cheers guys

Volvostorm
Friday 7th January 2011, 08:54
Check for leaks, the increased boost might have popped a pipe or two.

Check the BCS pping, best to use braided petrol hose for that, its longer lasting and doesn't swell under boost conditions

shrekblackR
Saturday 8th January 2011, 16:11
Cheers man just changed all boost pipes problem solved yay power back on lol