PDA

View Full Version : ECU Problems

izzysnan
Saturday 4th December 2004, 17:16
Hi to you all,
I'm a new member, with a '96 850 T5 (855) CD Estate. I have had an intermittent fault with the ABS warning light coming on and saw that another member can fix these, but I've just had the warning light (arrow) for the auto transmission come on a few days ago, then went off and has come on and gone off again since then. The car is running fine (except when the light is on - but I understand that when the light is on gear selection is restricted to 2 gears + reverse) and there do not seem to be any problems with the auto box the rest of the time (I hope). Also a few months ago the Lambda warning light came on for a short while - but car ran fine. What I want to know is - Is the ECU for the ABS the same as the Auto Transmission and would the wizard member be able to fix both problems or might it be a bad earth to the ECU's - and where are they. Hope someone can help - I love this car, but cant afford a new gearbox and ABS ECU right now. My diagnostic box is not the one next to the washer filler.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 4th December 2004, 23:52
I am that man - I can also advise you on you AT problems to (having just had my AT box reconned - not cheap).

First off ABS ECU has nothing to do with the AT. AT has its own dedicate unit (which is located along with the engine management ECU in the black box just to the rear of the offside headlight).

You need to check and possibly get the ATF changed. It should be red in colour and not smell burnt. The dip stick is located infront of the throttle body (check the owners manual) - it is normally yellow - it is below the inlet pipe feeding the airbox. Abnormally low levels of ATF will also cause problems. So get the level checked as soon as you can.

I can repair your ABS ECU. PM me if you want more details. Be aware that due to work commitments over the next 2 weeks I will be unable to get to this forum during the week. I can repair it next weekend though.
Our new IT policy at work means I cannot get into this website from my works PC. My phone number if you want to call me is 07801 347 993

Cheers

Dave

PS I would recommend that you get the fault codes read from your Engine ECU. Lamdba light could be something or nothing - but shouldn't be ignored.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 4th December 2004, 23:52
Oh yeah - and :welcome:

enjoy the forum

izzysnan
Sunday 5th December 2004, 12:04
Hi Dave
Thanks for your quick reply. I will ring you later - is there any time that suits you best for me to call?
The AT fluid is as clean as new. The reason I asked about bad earths is that someone suggested that as a poss fault, so I sprayed several earth points with WD40 and the AT light went out and has not come back on yet! Maybe coincidence?
Anyway speak to you soon.
Thanks again
Frank

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 5th December 2004, 17:58
Feel free to ring me when ever. I will do my best to help. If the ABS light stays out - then all well and good.

I am pleased that the ATF looks ok. The light may be due to other factors. I still would advise you to spend the £50 to get it flush/changed.

Laters

Dave

izzysnan
Friday 10th December 2004, 18:28
Hi Dave
Seems you were dead right about the AT Fluid - got it flushed through & changed and fingers crossed it seems fine now. Only problem is that due to sorting out the AT I've not sent you the ABS ECU yet - I know you are busy too (in London) so do you still want me to send it to arrive for next weekend or would you sooner I left it until after xmas now?

Thanks again for the AT advice - boy am I glad I found this site!

Justin
Friday 10th December 2004, 18:45
Hi mate, if you send it to me at this address:

Discovery computers

Unit 29

Boulton Industrial Centre

Icknield Street

Hockley

Birmingham

B18 5AU

I will hand it to the man when he gets back, i have done the same this week for him. Ask him but i'm sure he will agree its the easiest way ;)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 10th December 2004, 23:53
I will be happy to recieve the unit when ever - up to you. I have another week to do in London and alas I will not have the proper stuff with me to be able to complete the job. Send it to my work address as discussed or to the address above -

David Palmer
c/o ITNET Ltd
Laburnum House
Laburnum Rd
Birmingham
B30 2BD

Please bear in mind that due to our lovely new IT Security policy @ work I cannot view this site.