PDA

View Full Version : No Bloody Oil Again

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 23rd December 2010, 15:54
On the way back from Trentham Gardens today the oil light came on. Pulled over and popped the bonnet to find oil all down the left side of the engine and everywhere underneath.

I didn't want to mess with it whilst not at home, and fortunately I had a 5litre tub of oil in the boot (lucky eh?) so after using all of that I drove the last couple of miles home.

After taking the cam cover off I found that the left camshaft seal had worked loose and the oil was coming out of that. So I've pushed it back in and will be getting a new one asap (well, I'll change both) and a new cam belt as that is soaked.

Thankfully it was something simple.

mhill53
Thursday 23rd December 2010, 16:35
check the breathers arnt blocked as it could be creating a pressure build up

Volvostorm
Thursday 23rd December 2010, 16:53
Yeah, still, its better than blowing the rear main seal, if it has blocked breathers

siamblue
Thursday 23rd December 2010, 18:23
The thing is with these cars it is not a oil level light, it is more severe than that and is a oil pressure light, i hope you stopped asap when it came on,

Gary.

Jamest5r
Thursday 23rd December 2010, 18:28
The thing is with these cars it is not a oil level light, it is more severe than that and is a oil pressure light, i hope you stopped asap when it came on,

Gary.

Cheers for that, never knew, everyday's a school day lol.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 23rd December 2010, 18:50
Oh yes, I stopped as soon as I could. I had it happen to me before, the bottom oil cooler hose came off and dumped the lot. Fortunately I was within yards of a petrol station so I pulled in and managed to effect a repair which is still holding to this day LOL.

Hopefully no damage has happened, but you never know.

flyingbrick
Friday 24th December 2010, 19:53
Oh yes, I stopped as soon as I could. I had it happen to me before, the bottom oil cooler hose came off and dumped the lot. Fortunately I was within yards of a petrol station so I pulled in and managed to effect a repair which is still holding to this day LOL.

Hopefully no damage has happened, but you never know.

Sounds like you were bloody lucky buddy.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 24th December 2010, 20:14
Not lucky enough, its come out again. Thought I'd make sure it was all right before I was gonna make a trip to my cousin's house (some 20 miles up the motorway) and to my dismay it was covered in oil again and out of its seat.

Back in an AWD though, borrowed my dads as he's not used it for 3 weeks (in all this snow too)

flyingbrick
Saturday 25th December 2010, 23:09
OMG hope you get sorted mate not wot you need right now I bet dood....
Merry xmas I hope fella.........

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 26th December 2010, 00:18
Nope, and no chance of any spares until at least the end of next week.

Might use it as an opportunity to get some other issues sorted.