PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a new clutch....V70t5

Harverd-T5
Thursday 23rd December 2010, 13:57
Afternoon all,

I have been given a price for a new clutch and slave cylinder, having a look on euro parts i can find it for about a 100 quid less.

Now i am wondering if there is much difference between the genuine parts or the ones euro will supply.....Any thoughts or advice? x

Regards
Harvey

STEVO RRR
Friday 24th December 2010, 12:06
Afternoon all,

I have been given a price for a new clutch and slave cylinder, having a look on euro parts i can find it for about a 100 quid less.

Now i am wondering if there is much difference between the genuine parts or the ones euro will supply.....Any thoughts or advice? x

Regards
Harvey

My experience with eurocarparts was not good.They supplied me the wrong clutch which was subsequently fitted to my S60R.It was so wrong the clutch was slipping coming off the ramp!!!
I have a 2 piece clutch for sale.It is unused and BRAND NEW IN THE BOX.It is a Sachs clutch for an S60R so it should fit a T5.The kit includes the cover and plate so you will still have to buy the slave cylinder.I will post up the part number later so you can check if you want it or not.
The price will be £220 including postage by DHL next day.

Steve.

Tomcat
Friday 24th December 2010, 12:10
Go genuine every time for stuff like clutches, timing belts etc, no point dong the job twice.

STEVO RRR
Friday 24th December 2010, 17:59
Harvey, SACHS PART NUMBER IS 3000 951 193.

I do kind of agree with what Tomcat said above but the mechanic that changed my clutch on my S60R said it was a SACHS clutch that was OE on my car and my son who is a volvo time-served techie said Sachs clutches are favoured by Volvo as OE.

When I went to Volvo for my clutch they supplied a VALEO unit.I think they are all very much six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I should just add that the Sachs clutch I have has a LUCAS UK pressure plate but this is standard practice in the industry to share parts.

Let me know what you think.You have first refusal.

Steve

flyingbrick
Friday 24th December 2010, 19:40
Go genuine every time for stuff like clutches, timing belts etc, no point dong the job twice.

What people have got to remember is all motor manufactures our is car assemlbers all they make is cars.
They do not make the parts for the cars they fit. They buy all the parts they fit from OE manufactures such as clutch from LUK , VALEO or SACHS ect. Cam belt and cambelt kits from GATES (POWERGRIP) DAYCO, SKF or GOODYEAR ECT. There brakes from TRW (LUCAS) DELPHI (LOCHEED) FERODO ATE (TEVES) ect. and so on and so on.

So get your clutch kit from a good local motor factor and insist on LUK or SACHS which is the one in your volvo and not a cheaper make like a white box one. If your still not convinst ask your local volvo dealer what make of clutch is in the volvo box.

As I said before volvo make cars not the parts they fit.

Harverd-T5
Friday 24th December 2010, 20:11
Hmmm this leaves me in a bit of a pickle. Europarts will supply an LUK clutch for £170 or a SACHS for £220 Plus the slave cylinder(£95). Or i can have "genuine" volvo items for £360.
I am a bit worried about going the euro parts route as i had a wishbone from them and it was close to fitting but not quite close enough! Again this could have been caused by it being an expolice car....Decisions decisions!

Thanks for the input tho guys :)

Regards
Harvey

STEVO RRR
Friday 24th December 2010, 20:25
[QUOTE=Harverd-T5;352070]Hmmm this leaves me in a bit of a pickle. Europarts will supply an LUK clutch for £170 or a SACHS for £220 Plus the slave cylinder(£95). Or i can have "genuine" volvo items for £360.
I am a bit worried about going the euro parts route as i had a wishbone from them and it was close to fitting but not quite close enough! Again this could have been caused by it being an expolice car....Decisions decisions!

Thanks for the input tho guys :)

Regards
Harvey[/QUOTE

Up to you Harvey.The Sachs clutch I have is here and waiting to be sent.All I can say is my son was well impressed with it.The `genuine` clutch from Volvo will be whatever they have in stock.Trust me.It could be a VALEO,LUK,SACHS OR QUINTON HAZELL.
The slave is generic and is the same for a basic 2.0 or the R.You can get that anywhere.
If you want mine you can pay by paypal,i`ll swallow their charges and I can get it to you on Thursday or Friday.That will give you time to order up the slave.
Steve

Harverd-T5
Friday 24th December 2010, 20:41
[/QUOTE]Up to you Harvey.The Sachs clutch I have is here and waiting to be sent.All I can say is my son was well impressed with it.The `genuine` clutch from Volvo will be whatever they have in stock.Trust me.It could be a VALEO,LUK,SACHS OR QUINTON HAZELL.
The slave is generic and is the same for a basic 2.0 or the R.You can get that anywhere.
If you want mine you can pay by paypal,i`ll swallow their charges and I can get it to you on Thursday or Friday.That will give you time to order up the slave.
Steve[/QUOTE]

Thanks Steve, can you confirm its deff correct for my car? Cant find anything on the sachs site with regards to the part number...If so i will take you up on your offer. Typically i am only an hour or so from aberdeen for xmas, i dont think easyjet will let me fly home with it in my suitcase tho :(

Cheers
Harvey

STEVO RRR
Saturday 25th December 2010, 10:35
Harvey,Can you give me your exact car details.Model,year etc.

Iwill check on web and get back to you this weekend.

Steve

STEVO RRR
Saturday 25th December 2010, 11:41
Harvey,Can you give me your exact car details.Model,year etc.

Iwill check on web and get back to you this weekend.

Steve

http://www.zf.com/brands/content/en/sachs/products_sachs/online_catalog_sachs/webcat3_sachs_1/online_catalog_SACHS.html

Harvey,I dont think mine will fit yours.Use the link above to check your fitment.
It seems mine only fits an R.
At least you can check that youre getting the right part.

Good luck and make sure you budget for a new flywheel too.They almost always go as well.
STEVE

Harverd-T5
Saturday 25th December 2010, 20:06
Ah thats a shame Steve. From what i can see it wont fit :(

Thanks ever so much for the help tho.
Flywheel as well! More £££!

Regards
Harvey

STEVO RRR
Saturday 25th December 2010, 20:14
ah thats a shame steve. From what i can see it wont fit :(

thanks ever so much for the help tho.
Flywheel as well! More £££!

Regards
harvey

yeah the flywheel isnt cheap either.probably more to buy than the clutch.i got mine from eurocarparts and literally half the price of a volvo unit.

Steve

Harverd-T5
Saturday 25th December 2010, 21:33
Is it an absolute must?

Cheers
Harvey

STEVO RRR
Sunday 26th December 2010, 19:18
Is it an absolute must?

Cheers
Harvey

Not Necessarily.It`s not something you have to buy now but when the clutch is being fitted you may get a phone call saying it will be best to replace it now.Sometimes the flywheel will have too much play in it and leaving the old one in will wear the new clutch quicker and you may lose that `new` feel.

steve

dave stew
Sunday 2nd January 2011, 10:09
As a late contributor to this thread, I replaced the clutch on mine last year. My thoughts were that the labour element is the biggest proportion of the job cost so I got a genuine clutch kit and release bearing from Rufe. Don't forget to change the rear main seal on the crank while you're at it.

Harverd-T5
Sunday 2nd January 2011, 18:19
Cheers Dave, have put in an order to Rufe ;)

Am strugling to find someone in cambridge area who will do it...Main volvo dealers have quoted £400. Most things i will attempt myself. But this is a bit beyond me i think! How did you go about doing it? Did you have access to a ramp?

Cheers
Harvey

John Dexter
Monday 3rd January 2011, 01:21
would letchworth be too far from where you are?

Harverd-T5
Monday 3rd January 2011, 10:51
I could make it there at a push, organised a trailer but it was a tad too short. Trying to line up another or somewhere close for a quick tow!

dave stew
Monday 3rd January 2011, 17:18
No, I didn't do it, my mate Clive at MGS in Stockport did. It's a reet huge job - dropped subframe and everything. That's why you need to maximise the parts you change - including the RMS on the crank.