PDA

View Full Version : Back in a volvo (nearly)

KPB
Sunday 19th December 2010, 14:38
Well I guess it was only a matter of time.

Despite having a reliability nightmare with my last 01 S60 T5, I did enjoy the comfort and power so i've today done a 250 mile round trip to look at (and put a deposit) on this...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201049375089457

Very different animal to the 2.3T version. Power is superb (drove it delicately due to the weather, but the fronts span in 3rd on the motorway slip road), handling loads better than the older one I had albeit still a bit wallowy. Its got the two-mode '4-C' suspension although both settings felt quite similar. Perhaps I need to tinker a bit more with it.

I dont think its remapped as it doesnt feels as bonkers as my last Rica'd one, although to be honest doesnt feel like it really needs tuning (again, unlike my last one did when I got it), although its got a K&N filter on so I guess it might be? I'll try and contact the former owner and find out.

Seems a shame to px my Leon Cupra after only 3 months, but for all its merits (nippyness, practicality and reasonable economy) the seat gives me no under thigh support on my right leg, so I have to drive with something shoved under my knee on journeys over 45 mins. Doubt i'll have that problem with the T5!

Probably picking it up on Thurs. Lot of car for the money if somewhat rare in non-plod form, so very pleased.

Kev.

Volvostorm
Sunday 19th December 2010, 14:42
Looks nice mate, quite a bit of car for the money :)

t5_monkey
Sunday 19th December 2010, 14:45
2.4 is a fair bit chunkier than the 2.3 power wise, considered the best T5 engine of all by many, you should go for it!

simple remap and you'll be flying in that.

MacXC60T5
Sunday 19th December 2010, 15:29
Looks the Mutts Nuts. Lot of car for that sort of money. Good buy.

Turkish
Sunday 19th December 2010, 15:54
Ahh the great later spec 2.4 T5 models, I have had two now, fantastic engine, so much torque low down compared to the 2.3 and more top end power due to the KKK turbo from the R, it really is a different kettle of fish compared to the old 2.3's.

Great Value too, that is a really good price for a 2006 model with average miles. Some people love the 4C others don't. In C (continuous) mode it will adjust as you drive, it keeps pitch, roll and dive in check when required, but aims for a smooth composed ride, you will also have steering variation, which will make the steering light in town and heavier on the M-way. When in S mode it literally sets everything to FIRM, only really good on smooth surfaces or for when you are really pushing on and want that extra control, although I found this setting best for high speed motorway driving, it seemed to get rid of the floating feeling at high speeds.

If you are thinking of a remap, yes there are the usual Volvo said tuners, but give Oscarli tuning a call, he has a fantastic reputation in the U.K and importantly is based in the U.K, you get to deal with the head man directly if you go to the HQ.

Enjoy the car, wish I still had my S60 T5.

p fandango
Sunday 19th December 2010, 15:56
i do like the wheels, they aren't Volvo ones are they?

KPB
Sunday 19th December 2010, 20:55
Some good advice and info there fellas, thank you.

Ref the remap side of things, cheers for an alternative supplier. I wouldnt go back down the RICA route after paying £500 for a duff PPC and having shyte customer service. It did my car no good either and contributed to various boost related components failing prematurely.

TURKISH - how many 'modes' did your 4-C have? 2 or 4? This one seems to have just the comfort and sport settings.

FANDANGO - not sure what those alloys are called but they are Volvo I think. Centre caps would suggest so and i've seen them on other late model S60's. I'll dig around and see if I can find out.

KPB
Sunday 19th December 2010, 20:58
i do like the wheels, they aren't Volvo ones are they?

Just found out - they're called 'Orpheus' and are Volvo's own.

Turkish
Monday 20th December 2010, 10:52
Hi KPB, The S60 and V70 T5 models with 4C only come with the two modes, C is Continuous and S is Sport. C will try and make it as comfortable as it can, but will alter and adjust as you drive, so as not to create an uneven, uncomfortable ride, it will try if it can to eliminate pitch and dive too. It is a very good bit of kit, only downsides are expensive parts replacement.

Those wheels are lovely, always fancied a set on mine but they are a rare wheel wheel. Look lovely when refurbed with a diamond cut too.

lance
Monday 20th December 2010, 10:58
Very nice

KPB
Monday 20th December 2010, 11:26
Hi KPB, The S60 and V70 T5 models with 4C only come with the two modes, C is Continuous and S is Sport. C will try and make it as comfortable as it can, but will alter and adjust as you drive, so as not to create an uneven, uncomfortable ride, it will try if it can to eliminate pitch and dive too. It is a very good bit of kit, only downsides are expensive parts replacement.

Cheers Turkish. Having re-read your first post I realise what you'd meant. I'd misunderstood 'FIRM' as being a mode in itself and thought '4-C' meant there were 4 modes.

I've slept since and recharged the brain cell.

KPB
Thursday 23rd December 2010, 18:57
Well picked her up this morning, filthy dirty but MOT'd and taxed. Passed with no advisories. Turns out the car has only done 3.5k miles in the last year, but has 3 dealer stamps per 16k miles (longer service intervals on the 05-onwards ;-)) and two independents since then, including one only 3k ago.

Dealer had stuck £10 of fuel in and swapped the rears onto the fronts for a bit of extra grip, although I think its chucked the balancing out a bit. That apart, she drives like new. Loads of power although 6th gear is very long, and pulls 2.5k rpm at 70mph so gives about 34mpg at that speed. Very impressive and only about 2mpg less than the Leon at the same. I think you have to be doing 80mph+ to overcome the lag in 6th on the motorway. But below that its still very drivable.

I've had a bit more time to experiment with the 4-C and Turkish was dead right - comfort is a bit floaty at motorway speeds and if you hit a small stretch of broken tarmac at speed, it feels a bit jittery as it tries to compensate. Sport feels the best allround setting unless you're just pootling along a poorly surfaced B-road at 40.

The HU-650 is taking a bit of getting used to though. Makes every CD sound like a live recording which isnt always that clever.

Overall a very happy boy. Just wish the foul weather would disappear so I could wash her!

p fandango
Thursday 23rd December 2010, 19:01
how do you find the speed ball shifter, my old mans is quite uncomfortable becuase you need a good bit of force to get it to move (his is only a 5cog so might be different anyway)

sounds like your happy with it which is the important bit

Turkish
Thursday 23rd December 2010, 19:20
Congrats on picking her up, must have been a nice drive back!

6th does good give good MPG on the M-ways, makes a nice cruising gear.

Agree with the stereo comment, I thought it really needed some extra bass, but what ever I did, I just could not get it to sound right. Found someone on VOC that came over to mine and fitted a sub, amp and controller on the steering column, made a vast difference, the total sound output was astonishing.

p fandango
Thursday 23rd December 2010, 19:23
Agree with the stereo comment, I thought it really needed some extra bass, but what ever I did, I just could not get it to sound right. Found someone on VOC that came over to mine and fitted a sub, amp and controller on the steering column, made a vast difference, the total sound output was astonishing.
i keep threatening to get a couple of 12's for Bonny, bass really lets it down on the stock set-up

KPB
Friday 24th December 2010, 09:13
I've no problem with the space ball - seems quite a sturdy box (lifted from the S60R I believe) with a short throw. Its not the slickest shift but positive.

I think I read somewhere that the HU-650 comes with- and without the in dash amp speaker? Mine has one so i've no real complaints about the bass but as mentioned, the overall sound mix sounds a bit hollow and echo-ey. Unlike other stereos i've owned, I turned the bass down and the treble up! Quite odd but i'll get used to it.

Loved the commute to work this morning. Cruise control set, sit back and relax and the car was uber-comfy and very quiet (unless I used the loud pedal).

p fandango
Friday 24th December 2010, 09:42
I've no problem with the space ball - seems quite a sturdy box (lifted from the S60R I believe) with a short throw. Its not the slickest shift but positive.
might need to grease the linkages on his

I think I read somewhere that the HU-650 comes with- and without the in dash amp speaker? Mine has one so i've no real complaints about the bass but as mentioned, the overall sound mix sounds a bit hollow and echo-ey. Unlike other stereos i've owned, I turned the bass down and the treble up! Quite odd but i'll get used to it.
i thought they all came with the dash speaker, thought you could get 9 or 11 speaker system. Have you been into the hidden menu & made sure all the cut-off frequencies are set to the factory setting? Some how mine were different & putting everything back did improve it a bit, i've replaced it with an aftermarket unit now. I've lost the centre channel but quality is better

Loved the commute to work this morning. Cruise control set, sit back and relax and the car was uber-comfy and very quiet (unless I used the loud pedal).
they certainly are comfortable, when i first got in Bonny it was leagues above the other manufactures i'd been looking at (F*rd, Renault)