PDA

View Full Version : Afterblow function

LeeT5
Saturday 18th December 2010, 20:51
Had my 'Afterblow' function enabled at the dealer the other day. £29. Sweet!

jbconno
Saturday 18th December 2010, 20:52
Go on, whats afterblow ?

LiamT4
Saturday 18th December 2010, 20:55
Go on, whats afterblow ?

Something that usually involves 2 women! lol (sorry, but i just had to!)

jbconno
Saturday 18th December 2010, 21:07
Those were my first thoughts, but thats a discussion for another forum ;-)

p fandango
Saturday 18th December 2010, 21:08
apparently it keeps the AC fan running after you've turned the engine off to remove any moisture from the evaporator :confused:

LiamT4
Saturday 18th December 2010, 21:10
apparently it keeps the AC fan running after you've turned the engine off to remove any moisture from the evaporator :confused:

Sounds a decent idea, although i just turn the ac off and leave the fans running for a few mins.

p fandango
Saturday 18th December 2010, 21:13
Sounds a decent idea, although i just turn the ac off and leave the fans running for a few mins.
i just take the key out & go inside to make a coffee :slap:

Santa
Saturday 18th December 2010, 21:17
I just turn the car off.......

cornclose
Sunday 19th December 2010, 09:15
This is enabled by default on my V70. It's even described in the manual as normal behaviour. Why did you have to have it enabled? Shouldn't it have been already ?

claymore
Sunday 19th December 2010, 10:07
AC? whats AC...lol

Spooky
Sunday 19th December 2010, 11:31
This is enabled by default on my V70. It's even described in the manual as normal behaviour. Why did you have to have it enabled? Shouldn't it have been already ?

maybe they 'saw him coming' LOL!

LeeT5
Thursday 6th January 2011, 12:02

No. After many Volvo owners complained Volvo decided to not enable from the factory, therefore leaving it up to the owner to have enabled if they wanted.

Here is the TNN (copied from my word doc):

This is a copy of the latest tnn regarding afterblow from Volvo. Sorry its hard to read, but the information is still good.
NO: 87-53
DATE: October 5 2007
MODEL / YEAR S60 2001 -
S80 1999 - 2006
V70, XC70 2001 - 2007
XC90 2003 -
SUBJECT: Air Conditioning System Odor / Afterblow Function
REFERENCE: VIDA
This TNN superseded the previous 87-53, dated November 21, 2005. The changes include: updates to the 1999 – 2004 method and added new method for 2005 and later.

DESCRIPTION:
There may be cases of odor from climate system vents on the vehicles listed above. Ensure the odor is not from some other source and all other A/C system checks have been completed. If necessary the Afterblow function can be activated to dry out the ventilation system and evaporator. There are two ways to activate the Afterblow function depending on the Model Year (MY). For MY's 2005 and later see page 2 for MY's 1999 - 2004 see page 3.

NOTE: Up through 2002 Afterblow was activated from the factory, 2003 and later Afterblow will be Retailer activated only.
SERVICE:
In all cases basic fault tracing needs to be performed prior to the afterblow activation. Once this has been completed see the appropriate instructions for Afterblow activation.

Check / Verify that:
- There are no refrigerant leakages (not PAG oil causing the odor).
- AC drain is not clogged - drains sufficiently i.e. no water standing in the climate box.
- No water standing underneath the floor carpets.
- Cabin air filter inspected / verify it's been replaced according to the maintenance schedule.
- Battery is in good condition.
If all the above has been checked and confirmed that they are not the cause of the odor then the Afterblow function should be activated to minimize the risk of odor.
NOTE: MY 2005 and later it is only necessary to activate / deactivate Afterblow one time per vehicle. If ANY new software is downloaded the Afterblow function will stay activated.
Tech-Net Notes
“Fixed Right – First Time”
Volvo Technicians, Service and Parts Managers
Copyright ©2007 Volvo Cars of North America, LLC. All rights reserved.

Page 2 of 3

MY 2005 and later:
MATERIAL for 2005 and later:
Description Quantity Part Number Activate afterblow software 1 30782577
Deactivate afterblow software (if needed to turn off) 1 30782664 Activation / Deactivation through VIDA:
- Software Tab
- Software product
- Select 30782577 (or 30782664 to deactivate if needed). Enter part number if not listed:
- Download software Read - Out the status "active / not active" in VIDA:
- Diagnostics
- Vehicle communication
- CCM / Advanced
- After - run passenger control status (wording may change in future VIDA updates.)
Note: Active or Not-Activated

When certain criteria are met the interior fan will start to blow 50 minutes after the car has gone into the sleep mode. The fan will blow for 15 minutes at half speed with the air directed to the dashboard air outlets. Make sure the customer is informed of this new function.

ACTIVATION CRITERIA:
Battery voltage greater than 11.9 V
Ambient temp greater than 75°F (24°C) when engine is turned off.
Runs only one time every 20 hrs.
MY's 1999 – 2004:
Activation and Read - Out the status "active / passive" in VIDA:
- Diagnostics
- Vehicle communication
- CCM / Advanced
- Programming the Climate Control Module (CCM).
When certain criteria are met the interior fan will start to blow 50 minutes after the car has gone into the sleep mode. The fan will blow for 7 minutes at full speed with the air directed to the dashboard air outlets. Make sure the customer is informed of this new function.
Copyright ©2007 Volvo Cars of North America, LLC. All rights reserved.

Page 3 of 3

ACTIVATION CRITERIA:
A/C compressor has been engaged for more than 4 minutes (continuously) out of the last 11 minutes before engine was turned off. Ambient temp app 82°F (28°C) and A/C compressor running for more than 50% during a 10 second period.

There you have it...Afterblow! :B_thumb:

cornclose
Friday 7th January 2011, 13:19
That makes sense then as mine's a 2001.