PDA

View Full Version : Best First Modifications

ben_g40
Wednesday 15th December 2010, 22:34
Hi all,
I've owned My T5 C70 for a while now and want to squeeze a few more horses out of her.

I currently have and induction kit fitted and that is all.

It is a ME7 engine, and after looking at a fair few threads on here saying that some mods this particular engine don't like.

I'm not a figure chaser and just want it to sound and go that little bit better.

Can anyone recommend any first steps?

I have looked at thread after thread but a lot of people have different views on what to do.

Can anyone put it into plain English what are the best route/s to take.

Thanks
Ben

p fandango
Wednesday 15th December 2010, 22:43
being ME7 its going to have to be a remap, the engine management is to clever & as you said won't like the cheaper mods we can get away with on the older cars. I'd suggest going to a meet & getting in some of the cars with the different maps see which you prefer

JelT5
Thursday 16th December 2010, 04:41
A remap and a decent exhaust will really help the car along and the zorst will make it sound good too.
Quite a few exhaust set-ups available, although I use this lot in Sweden, it's good kit and reasonably priced:
LINK (http://www.jt-tuning.se/shop/default.aspx?lng=ENG&cur=EUR)

The key is to get the turbo breathing better IMO.

t5_monkey
Thursday 16th December 2010, 09:46
Have you modified the suspension? In terms of driving enjoyment ride and handling are important too - Strut Brace and Rear Roll Bar will make you faster as you'll exit all the corners 5mph quicker :)

ben_g40
Thursday 16th December 2010, 18:35
Thanks all for the input, I was thinking the Zorst then remap route.
I've read things about FMIC being beneficial and something regarding RIP? Are these only worth doing later on.
Also what turbo would be on mine and what is the difference between all of the turbos?

Sorry for being pretty clueless - I have tried searching for answers but I'm not really getting anywhere. I've always been a VAG slag so the whole Volvo things fairly new to me.

T5_monkey - The car has been lowered previously by 35mm but I still don't find handling particuarly fantastic. I suppose it being a large car it's never going to be that amazing without spending silly amounts.

Thanks again

Ben

t5_monkey
Thursday 16th December 2010, 18:52
Thanks all for the input, I was thinking the Zorst then remap route.
I've read things about FMIC being beneficial and something regarding RIP? Are these only worth doing later on.
Also what turbo would be on mine and what is the difference between all of the turbos?

Sorry for being pretty clueless - I have tried searching for answers but I'm not really getting anywhere. I've always been a VAG slag so the whole Volvo things fairly new to me.

T5_monkey - The car has been lowered previously by 35mm but I still don't find handling particuarly fantastic. I suppose it being a large car it's never going to be that amazing without spending silly amounts.

Thanks again

Ben

... you'd be surprised - nae, blown away by the difference upgrading the rear roll bar can do - probably the best upgrade I ever did on my car. Springs, Roll bar, new bushes and shocks and it'll be a match for most stock motors.

ben_g40
Thursday 16th December 2010, 18:57
Where's the best place to get the ARB from? And the strut brace. Is it true they are available direct from Volvo?

Ben

p fandango
Thursday 16th December 2010, 19:26
Where's the best place to get the ARB from? And the strut brace. Is it true they are available direct from Volvo?
yep about £70, if you get in contact with Rufe on here he is a main dealer who does mail order & a good discount

T4_Al
Thursday 16th December 2010, 21:03
What thickness is the ARB upgrade over stock anybody?