PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Alarm gone loco !!

blackc70310bhp
Wednesday 15th December 2010, 18:00
hey there me again!!
new problem with the c70 (who said volvo's dont have problems?!!)

1* when its freezing outside and the car is covered in frost sometimes it can take 3 attempts of the unlock button for the car to open, i replaced the battery in the fob with a new duracell, still the same :-(

2*recently after i shut the engine off slam the door and do the lock button the indicators flash door pins go down about 30 secs later i hear another locking type noise and the red light in the dash center begins to flash, all is well/normal.....then sometimes 15 mins later or even 2 hours later the alarm goes off by itself sometimes full with the siren (really loud) and sometimes just the indicator light continually flashing, in either case unlocking and re locking the car sorts it, but for how long?....

anyway ive done all the checks, the bonnet and boot are firmly shut so are both doors both windows fully up and nothing remotely loose in the cabin (i even make sure the seatbelts have settled)

ive run my o.b.d unit in the socket near the handbrake and it says 0 faults detected, when i phoned my volvo garage they said not to rely on my own o.b.d unit and instead bring it in to them to run on thier diagnostic machine!

lastly (phew!) i found out i can pull the fuse for the alarm and get in and out using a key but when i drive no indicators work so not great, and the only thing about the car i can see thats possibly a miss is when my partner gets in and out the car each time she shuts her door the window rubber gets a bit trapped against the glass (remember c70's have pillarless doors) and if i let her shut the door then wind the window down and back up the rubber is no longer mangled, i just thought there is a possibility it may be that as the car has window tamper sensors, im trying that out now and no false alarms so far but ive only used the car twice since discovering the window rubber issue,

anyhoo any ideas anyone? its so embarassing at work and when visiting people if you have a very loud alarm that goes off on its own!!

many thanks for all your head scratching!! :-)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 15th December 2010, 20:59
do you have any coins in the coin tray? (below the radio in the centre console)

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 15th December 2010, 21:02
do you have any coins in the coin tray? (below the radio in the centre console)

Have you been drinking Dave? Some of your comments tonight have left me scratching my head! Are you actually saying coins interfear with the alarm if in the holder?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 15th December 2010, 21:12
Trust me it has been known. One of the sensors is just underneath the coin tray ;)

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 15th December 2010, 21:25
seriously - I am not mad!!

http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=195786

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=100185

blackc70310bhp
Friday 17th December 2010, 18:22
nothing in the coin tray!! very interesting though! where will they put a sensor next? indicator stalk?!!

i would be interested to know how many sensors are in the car, there is a suspicious looking mini grill to the left of the on board computer info switch, could be a sensor behind there!

blackc70310bhp
Friday 17th December 2010, 20:05
just a thought by coin tray sensor is that the tiny flap with all the coin slots beneath it? or the small alcove behind that flap? cos if its the alcove i think ive finally figured out whats wrong!

the alarm normally plays up at work and i work at a food factory and without thinking before i get out the car in the morning i take off my watch (its not allowed in the factory) and i chuck the watch in the little cubby hole behind the coin flap, and its an old style watch with a second hand that ticks!!

could this possibly set off the alarm? maybe the watch loses balance and sets it off?

time to go home and run a few tests i think!!!