PDA

View Full Version : Piston knock....

M44K TS
Wednesday 20th July 2005, 00:35
My dad's 850 SE )2.5 10v) has developed a rattle/knock whe idling an if you slightly tap the accelerator up to 1500rpm then back off, the knock is louder for a second then it goes away for a few seconds.

The car is a 1994 and has the high end of 157k on the clock.

Does this sound like the dreaded bottom end or piston? it sounds like it's coming from the piston closest to the dizzy.

The car was running nice and sweet until last night when my brother was driving it and he said there was a clunk and the car lost power for a second or 2, when he pulled over thats when the knock became apparent.

Also i noticed when the engine was running and i removed the dip stick, there was smoke bellowing out, now i'm sure that's a bad sign as exhaust gasses are seeping into the chambers, is that right?

Any ideas if this is gonna be costly to fix or is it time to cut losses and sell?

BTW. the car was £1100 from the auctions 2 years ago and it's been trouble free and ran fantastic since then

ShaunS70T5
Wednesday 20th July 2005, 15:08
was the sound like a spraking sound when it happend?

spesh
Wednesday 20th July 2005, 17:19
Change the oil and flush the engine and put I good engine flush in! Got rid of my tapping from the followers.

M44K TS
Wednesday 20th July 2005, 20:52
he took it to the garage this morning (second opinion) and they've said it's either the piston or the big ends.

Anyone like an 850 for £500?

taxed and tested, ran perfect, new altenator, air filter, recent handbrake shoes. Mint condition inside and out, polishes up beautiful, tow bar etc. etc.

lol

spesh
Wednesday 20th July 2005, 21:50
Maybe not an engine flush then, sorry Mark didnt read it fully! memo to spesh STOP SPEED READING!

andi t5
Wednesday 20th July 2005, 22:44
he took it to the garage this morning (second opinion) and they've said it's either the piston or the big ends.

Anyone like an 850 for £500?

taxed and tested, ran perfect, new altenator, air filter, recent handbrake shoes. Mint condition inside and out, polishes up beautiful, tow bar etc. etc.

lol piston slap and worn big ends sound totally different, piston slap normally decreases as the engine warms up a worn big end will get worse as it warms up, a sticking tappet sounds favorite, the smoke out of the dipstick aperture could well be a bunged up breather system eliminate these two before spending big bucks on a engine strip another possbilty could be a bent rod have you increased the boost recently?

M44K TS
Wednesday 20th July 2005, 23:47
another possbilty could be a bent rod have you increased the boost recently?

it's my dads 2.5 10v n/a not the T5 fortunatley.

the guy at the garage (a mate of my dads) said it could have been a sticking tappett but you can hear the noise more underneath the car at the sump apposed to the top of the block

TangoDeltaSierra3
Thursday 21st July 2005, 00:39
Mark sell yer dad your T5 and get the C70 while you still have some summer left to enjoy it.

Bison
Thursday 21st July 2005, 01:06
Change the oil and flush the engine and put I good engine flush in! Got rid of my tapping from the followers

What engine flush do you use? do you put in in with the oil? how does it work?

Bison

M44K TS
Thursday 21st July 2005, 18:48
Mark sell yer dad your T5 and get the C70 while you still have some summer left to enjoy it.

I've already suggested that. Never mind, we are selling a Caravan and the money off that was going towards my mother a new car, now this has happened, my dad will flog his and get a van instead for me to use for the business. Now, they are thinking of just having 1 car for them both to use, aswell as a van for me for work, and if my dad needs to use my car he can. But the car they were thinking of getting was an S40 T4!

I'm nto gonna complain about that one.

fireclown
Friday 22nd July 2005, 09:52
sounds like a big end to me.

jim_from_surrey
Sunday 24th July 2005, 14:18
Change the oil and flush the engine and put I good engine flush in! Got rid of my tapping from the followers.

Spesh - what engine flush did you use here?