PDA

View Full Version : RICA with Normal Petrol?

DuncVolvoTurbo
Sunday 12th December 2010, 21:55
I am hoping for a bit of help. I have always ran Shell V-Power in my car, even before it had the RICA ecu put into it, but with the weather (I'm guessing), I am finding it hard to get any high octane petrol.

What side effects will I notice running a RICA on normal petrol?

t5_monkey
Sunday 12th December 2010, 22:01
In this weather... if you don't cane it... Minimal I would have thought.

If you're driving hard, and the engine is hot you may get knock and retardation - fine if your knock sensor is working, but may cause damage if not, and just something to be avoided really.

Oh and it'll prob feel a fair bit slower.

It'll be fine just don't spank it, which I imagine you won't be in this weather anyway.

PS... when's the next VOC meet ? :D

gmain1967
Sunday 12th December 2010, 22:05
I am hoping for a bit of help. I have always ran Shell V-Power in my car, even before it had the RICA ecu put into it, but with the weather (I'm guessing), I am finding it hard to get any high octane petrol.

What side effects will I notice running a RICA on normal petrol?

Same problem here Dunc - no Vpower, and same when I was on M6 on Tuesday last week.

I used Esso Supreme which was best I could find and not noticed much difference, though I am on snow tyres and the weather hasn't exactly been ideal for putting the power down....!

DuncVolvoTurbo
Sunday 12th December 2010, 22:07
It'll be fine just don't spank it, which I imagine you won't be in this weather anyway.

Ah, you don't know me very well Monkey! lol

Would I be best to stick the standard one back in just now, or will that have a bad effect (switching between the 2 in a relatively short space of time)?

BTW, the next VOC will be at the Hamilton Toby Carvery on February 2011, so a fair bit away.

LiamT4
Sunday 12th December 2010, 22:54
You could try adding an octane booster to normal petrol, if your finding it hard to get 99.

t5_monkey
Sunday 12th December 2010, 23:03
Ah, you don't know me very well Monkey! lol

Would I be best to stick the standard one back in just now, or will that have a bad effect (switching between the 2 in a relatively short space of time)?

BTW, the next VOC will be at the Hamilton Toby Carvery on February 2011, so a fair bit away.

I doubt very much you'll damage it if you're on part throttle or short bursts of full power - just don't go mental :)

nobananas
Monday 13th December 2010, 20:25
To be honest I have had to run on regular unleaded from time to time and have never noticed a huge difference but I know others have. Think a lot depends on individual vehicles, they don't all seem to react the same way.

DuncVolvoTurbo
Tuesday 14th December 2010, 20:01
Well I did put the old ecu back in it for now. I'd forgotten how slow the car was at first :D

Quicksilver
Tuesday 14th December 2010, 20:17
I run mine on both super and normal with no ill effects.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 14th December 2010, 20:23
Well I did put the old ecu back in it for now. I'd forgotten how slow the car was at first :D

If its of any help to you this is the official line from the Rica literature on their website:

"This ECM upgrade requires 98 RON super-unleaded in order to achieve the maximum performance and maximum fuel economy. 95 RON can be used but performance and economy will be adversely affected."

woody
Thursday 16th December 2010, 12:38
I doubt very much you'll damage it if you're on part throttle or short bursts of full power - just don't go mental :)

Fully agree. I've been caught out a few times and had to use Half-fat unleaded, but I've just gone into 'Potter Mode' and it's been fine.