PDA

View Full Version : 850 CD/Radio code

Ade
Friday 10th December 2010, 00:26
Is there an easy way to get this?
Just checked and my handbook only has a note packed with gibberish on it! No 4 digit codes listed at all......

I'd rather know sooner rather than later as it will have to go and get some issues sorted which will invariably involve the battery being disconnected.

cherry1809
Friday 10th December 2010, 01:15
If it's the radio the car came with, I think Volvo will have it listed on record.
If not, £10 odd will get it re coded.

Phuturephantasy
Friday 10th December 2010, 08:43
I've popped into my local Volvo dealer for this 3 times in the past with different cars / radios and after giving them the car reg they've printed out a report with the code on it for me at no charge :D

Flatout Phil
Friday 10th December 2010, 10:52
Just ring up your dealer and he will do it over phone for nothing. And then give you the code ;)

Volvostorm
Friday 10th December 2010, 16:31
Also worth popping the radio out, and see if anybody as written the code on it.

nobananas
Friday 10th December 2010, 18:54
Also worth popping the radio out, and see if anybody as written the code on it.

I found that was the case with mine !. Is there a simpler head unit to remove ?

Ade
Friday 10th December 2010, 21:38
How do you remove it? Just pull?!

Volvostorm
Friday 10th December 2010, 21:55
There are 2 'buttons' on the front, you press them in, and they pop out, you then pull the radio out

Handy video clip :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMryWoK92sU

Ade
Saturday 11th December 2010, 00:53
That's easier than I was expecting! :lol:

John Dexter
Monday 21st February 2011, 17:32
Good evening.
I can never understand cars. No wonder they are referred to as "she" occasionally.
My wireless set refused to be switched on last week and I ended up making a 300 mile trip during which it would have been nice to have something to which I could listen apart from my own voice and the whine of the fuel pump and the rumble of the exhausts.
Following the excellent video clip I removed the wireless/cd player, being careful not to scratch the silver surround as someone had done before, removed all the wires, connected a test lamp and had permanent power and ignition controlled power to the unit through the bigger of the two plugs. Then I thought I was in for some more expense and would have to change the unit. However, being a reasonably optimistic chap I re-connected all the wires, switched on the ignition and the unit worked. Reset the code and was able to listen to the Home Service again. Now why couldn't the wretched thing have worked last week? Why did I have to hint that it was due to be replaced before it decided to work? The offside speaker is still a bit crackly but I have sound at least. No guarantee for how long it might work this time. Perhaps I should mutter some veiled threats under my breath each time I switch on the ignition.
Everyone from whom I have sought advice has suggested that these are almost "throw away" items. One chap suggested taking the whole unit to my local dealer and exchanging it for a new one.
Thanks again to Pault5 for his excellent video post. Exactly what was needed.
As a little animal is wont to say "Shimples"!
One thing I did notice was a seemingly "spare" light. It might have become disconnected but it's a tiny bulb, with two wires insulated with blue heat shrink. Any ideas what that might be for?

Dave86
Monday 21st February 2011, 18:08
PM Rufe on here he'll sort you out for nothing did mine a couple of weeks ago. Just needs your reg and VIN :)