PDA

View Full Version : Sports suspension for my s70r.

LiamT4
Thursday 9th December 2010, 20:45
I want to make my car handle a bit better and would like to get it a bit lower and i'm thinking of these

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_189_208&products_id=3151

As the R is already 15mm lower than the t5, i'd assume that these will lower it by 20mm, which is about what i want.

Obviously, i'd like to get the koni fsd, but as they cost the same without any lowering springs i can't really afford them.

Does anyone have any info on any other good suspension kits for a decent price, that will fit the s70?

t5 pete
Thursday 9th December 2010, 21:13
You can get fsd's these days for £400 and then £100-£150 for a set of lowering springs so really there about the same price ive got fsd's on myne and cannot rate them enough they are brilliant

t5 pete
Thursday 9th December 2010, 21:15
Cheepest ive found at the mo but i bought myne for £400 a few years ago
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KONI-FSD-KIT-SHOCK-ABSORBERS-VOLVO-850-T5-S70-V70-C70-/120419930327?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c099650d7

LiamT4
Thursday 9th December 2010, 21:15
You don't have any links by any chance?

Cheers, that was quick. lol

RT MECHANICS
Thursday 9th December 2010, 21:16
I want to make my car handle a bit better and would like to get it a bit lower and i'm thinking of these

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_189_208&products_id=3151

As the R is already 15mm lower than the t5, i'd assume that these will lower it by 20mm, which is about what i want.

Obviously, i'd like to get the koni fsd, but as they cost the same without any lowering springs i can't really afford them.

Does anyone have any info on any other good suspension kits for a decent price, that will fit the s70?

Hi Liam

The Konis are ok...it would be better to invest in a set of the excellent IPD anti roll bars( a pair ) apart from the engine its one of the best mods i have ever done on the yellow saloon :) and a set of the Eibach springs as to how much your car will be lowered by depends how sagged your springs are now dont forget to put all new proper Oe Volvo mounts dont be tempted by copy ones.

Goodluck and do post some pics

Russ

LiamT4
Thursday 9th December 2010, 21:36
I hope to be getting it done in feb, but will be putting up before and after pics.

I'm mainly doing this to get the car lower but would like to get it to handle a bit better at the same time. Maybe it would be better (i.e cheaper!) for me to get the anti-roll bars and some lowering springs and leave the dampers, for now.
I will be getting new bushes at the same time.

volvolised
Thursday 9th December 2010, 21:58
I hope to be getting it done in feb, but will be putting up before and after pics.

I'm mainly doing this to get the car lower but would like to get it to handle a bit better at the same time. Maybe it would be better (i.e cheaper!) for me to get the anti-roll bars and some lowering springs and leave the dampers, for now.

The koni sport adjustables are the best reasonably priced kit...performance - pound...(larkspeed best place) and yes as russ said the ipd anti roll bars...but for road play the koni's and strut brace are ample...+ a little t5d5 maestro's trick lol

Turkish
Thursday 9th December 2010, 22:15
Have to agree, ARB's are a great addition to firm the car up and reduce body roll. Eibach springs are good too if you want to lower it a little.

FSD's can be too firm for some, while others love them. As the above poster mentioned the Koni Sports are good too, but on my previous Saab, I found that I kept on adjusting them, maybe it was just the saab's chassis.

Another good set of Shocks is the Bilstein range, talk to this guy, he really is a fountain of knowledge when it comes to suspension. http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/sitepage/Bilstein.html

t5_monkey
Thursday 9th December 2010, 22:31
I think one of the biggest mods you can do is the ARB's... make it corner a LOT flatter (Well on mine anyway)

Shock absorbers tricky area, I read into it a lot before purchasing, and came to the conclusions Bilstein are best - adjustability is a hit and miss affair at best, Koni probably the best if you want adjustability - and don't get coilovers on an every day car.

(My Bilsteins are in my hallway... getting fitted next week!)

S70T5Chris
Thursday 9th December 2010, 22:35
and don't get coilovers on an every day car.

Why is it that people have this general misconception that coilovers will ruin the ride of your car an should be avoided on an everyday car?

S70T5Chris
Thursday 9th December 2010, 22:42
Hi Liam

If you want my advice mate, I'd avoid FSD's anyway. VERY overrated. They've just been hyped up massively over the years, and in reality replacing old shocks with a new set of OEM shocks will give as good results IMO. Bilstein's, as Monkey says, are a good option (B6's IIRC). Eibachs are always a good option for springs but there is plenty of choice.

Personally I am replacing my (bit tired) suspension with the Koni Sport Adjustables. As much as I'd love a set of KW Variant 2's, I can't justify the £1200!!

HTH.

leet5r
Thursday 9th December 2010, 23:51
i think if ya goin to make the car a track toy then coilovers it is , but if ya do none the just a good spring shocker set up with arb will be more than enough

RT MECHANICS
Friday 10th December 2010, 06:19

Great news just one other thing to mention is if your not going to spend on shocks as well if they are all ok what make of tyres do you have??

t5_monkey
Friday 10th December 2010, 15:01
Why is it that people have this general misconception that coilovers will ruin the ride of your car an should be avoided on an everyday car?

There's some mixed opinion on this - all I can say is of all the posts I've seen about 'em and people having them, the majority seem to be that they are a bit 'extreme' for daily use and a set of decent dampers would suit just as well - for less wedge.

It probably also depends on if track-days are planned.

That said... I've heard there are some good sets that are bearable for every day - Also probably depends where you live, lots of rough roads up here that suit a slightly more supple set up!

LiamT4
Friday 10th December 2010, 20:14
In answer to russ question all the tyres are avon zz3's.

By the sounds of it the koni sport adjustables (the ones in my 1st post)is a decent kit for the money. So i could buy that or get some lowering springs and get the ipd ARB and leave the shocks.
Which would be best, i guess that i mainly want to get the car looking a bit meaner, but would like a bit more control in the bends.

On the debate with coilovers, i'v only been in 2 cars with coilovers on, 1 is a vw golf and the other was a 200sx, both were too harsh for my liking, although, 200sx's tend to have a harsh ride anyway, comfort is not there strong point.

RT MECHANICS
Friday 10th December 2010, 20:26
In answer to russ question all the tyres are avon zz3's.

By the sounds of it the koni sport adjustables (the ones in my 1st post)is a decent kit for the money. So i could buy that or get some lowering springs and get the ipd ARB and leave the shocks.
Which would be best, i guess that i mainly want to get the car looking a bit meaner, but would like a bit more control in the bends.

On the debate with coilovers, i'v only been in 2 cars with coilovers on, 1 is a vw golf and the other was a 200sx, both were too harsh for my liking, although, 200sx's tend to have a harsh ride anyway, comfort is not there strong point.

As for the debate over coilovers its the same as anything you get what you pay for.

A ride in the peril is advised as the excellent KW Varient 3 Race kit and rides superbly and handles/grips like no other Volvo i have ever been in :) My Evo 6 has the Gaz coilovers and the ride quailty is no was near as good and the quality of the parts is no where near the same ,the problem most people think is the harder the better the car handles :B_steerin

leet5r
Friday 10th December 2010, 23:50
As for the debate over coilovers its the same as anything you get what you pay for.

A ride in the peril is advised as the excellent KW Varient 3 Race kit and rides superbly and handles/grips like no other Volvo i have ever been in :) My Evo 6 has the Gaz coilovers and the ride quailty is no was near as good and the quality of the parts is no where near the same ,the problem most people think is the harder the better the car handles :B_steerin

how many track days have you done russ, just al be after a suspension upgrade and set up soon after the year also. obv funds are tight aswell so i want the most for my money
cheers

Jim S70R
Saturday 11th December 2010, 10:01
Apart from Russ's yellow peril I've been out in one other 850 with coilovers fitted and the ride was not as harsh as people make it out to be (to be fair no more than a car with uprated shocks and springs would be anyway)

As for handling coilovers and ARB's are well worth every penny....

RT MECHANICS
Saturday 11th December 2010, 19:00
how many track days have you done russ, just al be after a suspension upgrade and set up soon after the year also. obv funds are tight aswell so i want the most for my money
cheers

No Track days as such yet hopefully one or two next year

leet5r
Saturday 11th December 2010, 19:17
No worries then m8. Did you get my pm about the engine cradle bushes aswell.
Coilovers gives you the option of been able to change it for drag or trackdays

LiamT4
Saturday 11th December 2010, 20:14
As i now have to find out whats up with the engine i have decided to just get some lowering springs first, then get the ARB's later.

How low can i go without rubbing the arches (car is on 17"comets) and without it looking stupid?
I'm looking to spend around £150 on lowering springs, so if anyone knows where i can get some or has any links, i'd be gratefull.

leet5r
Saturday 11th December 2010, 23:53
iirc ya can go as low as ya like untill ya start using ider wheels , the only person i know that has had arch work done is elliot , tony runs 235.40.17 on a 17/5 pro race .

LiamT4
Sunday 12th December 2010, 10:12
As the R is 15mm lower than the T5, i'm assuming that it just down to having smaller springs. Is that the case? As when i'm looking at springs they say, for example, will lower the car by 40mm (for a t5), so i'm assuming it will lower the R by 25mm?