PDA

View Full Version : Battery Advice

850 2.5 10v
Wednesday 8th December 2010, 13:26
The cold weather is finally playing havoc with my battery.

Please advise what I should replace with - Brand / Heavy Duty etc etc...

2.5 10v is the car!

Cheers

nobananas
Wednesday 8th December 2010, 20:06
Wouldn't worry too much about make, most batteries only last 5 odd years anyway. Try to get one with 2 or 3 year warranty and a high cranking amps and you should be fine.

850 2.5 10v
Wednesday 8th December 2010, 20:08
Thanks for the reply can you send me a link for what I need.

Amps wise what do I need to be looking for?

The current battery has been in the car for at least 8yrs, since I have had it anyway!

p fandango
Wednesday 8th December 2010, 20:28
diesel engined cars normally have a current rating than the petrol equivilant so i normally go for them where available, think BT's got almost a truck battery on which was too big for the factory tray

nobananas
Wednesday 8th December 2010, 20:31
Thanks for the reply can you send me a link for what I need.

Amps wise what do I need to be looking for?

The current battery has been in the car for at least 8yrs, since I have had it anyway!

Cranking amps wise it should give you a cca number on the old battery then try and get at least that or higher, anything approaching 550 cca or higher is probably adequate.
A link picked at random, never used them but perhaps gives you an idea,
http://www.carbatteries-online.co.uk/carbattery027.html

Might be an idea to use a local motor factor or garage for your battery as it will make claiming on the warranty (if needed) far easier. Can't really recommend any particular make, because I work at a garage I get mine trade and they usually vary in manufacturer depending on who we get them from at that particular time (read that as cheapest LOL !) but they haver all been okay and lasted many years. Bear in mind that battery prices do fluctuate with the price of lead these days !

Volvostorm
Wednesday 8th December 2010, 20:42
I'm using a Varta on mine, the silver dynamic 780 cold cranking

http://www.varta-automotive.com/index.php?id=256&L=&h=1&presetApplication=&presetManufacturer=&presetModelline=&application=PKW&manufacturer=&modelline=&lang=en&range=

Any well known make battery will be fine.

simpT5
Wednesday 8th December 2010, 21:15
The universal part number for the battery you need is 096.

The cold cranking amps for an 096 is roughly 680A, which is fine for your car.

At work, we sell Lucas branded batteries with a 4 year guarantee that are good value for money at £75 inc vat, but expect to pay anywhere from £60-100 for an 096 depending on the brand.