PDA

View Full Version : oily smell ?

wellsy
Friday 3rd December 2004, 13:00
hi i have noticed a oily smell in my car when it gets hot . today i checked under the bonnet and noticed oil and what looked like smoke coming what looks like a breather pipe that connects to the air inlet next to the turbo .
is this a breather pipe and could it be blocked somewhere ? and are is it a easy diy job to clean the breathers or do i have to take to a garage.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 3rd December 2004, 23:44
My mech John, and I have just redone these breathers (as part of the gearbox rebuild). They are prone to collapse/brittleness - the plastic tube going to the larger of the two holes gets worse with age. Alas if the pipe snaps whilst you are sorting it out - you may have to undo the inlet manifold - be careful of the gasket. The pipe runs under the inlet manifold (inside foam insulation) from the left hand side of the block.

It is important that these breathers are not blocked. At the turbo end - you can remove and clean up the bits in the picture, undo the jubilee clip on the end of the turbo (long screw driver is easiest)

If you need more assistance let me know.

Rgds

Dave

wellsy
Saturday 4th December 2004, 11:24
hi thanks for the help i pulled the pipes off and where they enter the large pipe it is gunged up so i will take off and clean .
thanks again for the help
cheers wellsy

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 4th December 2004, 23:41
you can remove the air intake pipe feeding the turbo - it is secured with a jubilee clip.

elvisisgod
Sunday 5th December 2004, 18:58
does the brether just push into the inlet or is it meant to be a rubber weld/glued joint ? mine just pulls out!!?? mine is gopping and when i disconected the metal intercooler pipe ,that has oil in it and the lower flexi intercooler pipe is worse!!! how easy/hard did you find it to do ? any ointers ?? thanx mikey

Wobbly Dave
Monday 6th December 2004, 00:49
The breathers (as far as I know) dont carry any pressure - so there is no need to jubilee or glue them on.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 6th December 2004, 00:51
There will normally be a small amount of oil lining the inside of the IC pipes.