PDA

View Full Version : 144k miles on an Autobox, is that ok??

Liddo
Tuesday 7th December 2010, 15:55
Hi All,

Ive been in my BM for just 3 weeks but im now planning on getting back in a Volvo asap.

Im looking around for an S60 D5 with auto box. Ive seen one in the press that is local to me, but its done 144k, and was last serviced at 110k.

Are the standard Auto boxes robust??? What should i look for if i go and look at it, apart from going into gears smoothly and changing up and down ok

LiamT4
Tuesday 7th December 2010, 16:57
When i was looking at getting an s60t5, i read that there where problems with the early gaytronics if they didn't have the fluid changed fairly often, also read something about needing software updates? (but can't remember exactly what this was).

I'd say that after 100k the car should be serviced at least once a year, so doing over 30k without a service is not the best thing to do on a car with over 100k on it. Not good to do that sort of mileage between services any time really.
Remember though, although it may not have had a full service, it may have still had oil/filter changes, spark/glow plugs (don't know when you change them on diesels) which are the most important things.

Liddo
Tuesday 7th December 2010, 18:26
Ive just been figuring out the service history, and in its early life, it was doing 3000 miles a month, thats in the Taxi teritory surely???

Think I'll look for something with less mileage ;)

So, now my question is

Auto or Gaytronic???? Which is the better box???

LiamT4
Tuesday 7th December 2010, 20:58
I shouldn't call them gaytronics, after all wegals s60t5 is a geartronic and hes got about 300bhp@wheels and 450nm and his seems to be ok.
From what i remember, it was mainly the older ones that seem to have the problems when not looked after.

LeeT5
Thursday 16th December 2010, 17:28
geartronics are better.

144k on an auto box is just fine, just make sure you do a tranny flush if it hasn't been done. :)