PDA

View Full Version : T5 powered autograss special.

Paul Hassell
Monday 6th December 2010, 21:39
Hi Guys,

I thought it was about time i started a thread and showed my latest project, after almost completing my class 9 Autograss special I decided the Vauxhall Redtop power just wasnt going to be enough, so I sold my newly built Redtop, Jenveys, Emerald Management system, K&Ns etc and my brand spanking new and unused special went from this;

http://www.paulhassellmotorsport.co.uk/wpimages/wpa08b6ba4_05.jpg

To this;

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/05122010827.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/05122010829.jpg

Then after I put a wanted ad on here I got a reply from andyb1375 and a deal was done on an 850 T5.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/24112010808.jpg

So the next thing was to remove the engine, box, shafts hub etc which we did this weekend complete with subframe.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/05122010824.jpg

And after removing the subframe, shafts, hubs and all the power zapping pumps and ancilleries we offer up the engine and box in the chassis.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/05122010830.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/05122010831.jpg

I have just collected the latest Emerald M3D K6 management system direct from Dave at Emerald and thats about as far as we have got to date.

I have a couple of questions which I hope someone can help with;

1. How easy is it to get to the diff as I need to remove it and weld it solid ?
2. What fuel pressure do these run at?
3. What is the best turbo to run, I have been told the 16t bolts straight on instead of the 15t ?

Anyway....cheers for ploughing through to the end and any advice will be greatfully recieved.

Paul.

p fandango
Monday 6th December 2010, 21:55
ha ha nice one, that things going to fly

1. How easy is it to get to the diff as I need to remove it and weld it solid ?
2. What fuel pressure do these run at?
3. What is the best turbo to run, I have been told the 16t bolts straight on instead of the 15t ?
1. as you've already got the engine out & off the subframe it shouldn't be that hard, remove the gearbox & you can unbolt the diff from the gear without removing any of the other gearing (advised)
2. 3bar
3. i'd of thought with the little weight you've got even a 19t will spool instantly. Any of the Mitsi TD04 turbo's will fit straight onto the manifold but you might have to change the downpipe to match. Con-rods are the weakest link on our engines so will need upgrading if you want to run alot of boost. An ME7 exhaust manifold (or S60R is better again) is worth looking while messing with the turbo

andyb1375
Monday 6th December 2010, 22:09
Hi Paul

Cant wait to see the finished article !!

si850r
Monday 6th December 2010, 22:21
my god....air traffic control watch out.....its gonna be a u.f.v.o..........
unidentified flyin volvo object

MWT5
Monday 6th December 2010, 23:48
Haha you been busy it sits in the special quite nice where you putting the intercooler and rad above the engine.
Your a couple of weeks in front of me ive had to take the corsa back to the bulkhead just to get it in.

Barnsley-Bill
Tuesday 7th December 2010, 00:34
I'd go with a class 7 or 9 with single/twin bike engines' more expencive yea but the instant power is amazing.

we built one for my nephew to race three years back with 2 Suzuki GSXR 1000 engines and boy did it shift I dont think I've ever been in anything faster than that from a standing start.

MWT5
Tuesday 7th December 2010, 01:57
I'd go with a class 7 or 9 with single/twin bike engines' more expencive yea but the instant power is amazing.

we built one for my nephew to race three years back with 2 Suzuki GSXR 1000 engines and boy did it shift I dont think I've ever been in anything faster than that from a standing start.

There's a class Severn at northwales with t5 engine and he regularly beating twin biked cars,I think it is the torque that gives him the upper hand on the bike engines.

Barnsley-Bill
Tuesday 7th December 2010, 12:42
Yea its mostly torque that gets you off the line but if the car suspension is setup right and the car's been corner weighted it makes a massive difference.
we had his back coilovers built by Ohlins with the right damping and rebound and it was like a different car' at the start all the other cars front end's were two foot in the air while his dug in and set off.

He used to race a few kids with car engines' one with a Chevy V8 and he used to lap him after three to four laps.
He won his clubs championship two years running and came 10th in the world championships' but thats were it seemed to go wrong as every time he went to a race meeting it seemed like all the other drivers wanted to knock him off' so in the end he flogged his car.

Paul Hassell
Tuesday 7th December 2010, 15:59
We did the whole twin engined thing last year with a pair of CBRs in the back of a 10, it was ok but I am not a bike engined man so I got bored with it quite quickly and sold it !!

ex911driver
Tuesday 7th December 2010, 23:14
Hi paul , just wondered what was happening to the rest of the car, and what colour/ paint code is it ?
Thanks
Danny

Barnsley-Bill
Wednesday 8th December 2010, 10:53
Hi Paul
I think they only thing we did with the Suzuki engines apart from normal servicing was replace the clutches after about four meetings.
But the drive box we had some right problems until we stripped it and removed some metal from the casings to give a bit more clearance as it was very tight when we bought it' 'not bad for about 2 grand eh' .
I'll try find some pictures of his old car and post them.

Good luck with your build mate and I hope it works for you.

Paul Hassell
Friday 10th December 2010, 20:17
Thanks very much for all the good comments and advice, I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Paul Hassell
Wednesday 15th December 2010, 11:37
Here are another couple of questions you experts can hopefully help with;

1] Are the sumps baffled in any way as we run clockwise ovals and i see from the haynes manual that the oil pickup is in the centre of the engine ?

2] does anybody have a list of the diff and gear ratios fitted in these T5 manual boxes, I think mine is a M56R box but I may well build a mix and match box at some point to give me the best ratios if need be.

Cheers.

p fandango
Wednesday 15th December 2010, 17:24
does anybody have a list of the diff and gear ratios fitted in these T5 manual boxes, I think mine is a M56R box but I may well build a mix and match box at some point to give me the best ratios if need be.
never heard of a M56R (M56L or M56H). LINK (http://www.box.net/shared/5tleisuley)

Paul Hassell
Wednesday 15th December 2010, 17:42
Thanks for the link, I could have sworn the box had M56R on the label, mind you I didnt have be glasses on and it was late last night .

Paul Hassell
Tuesday 21st December 2010, 19:40
Just been offered a T5 lump out of an Auto, what flywheel will fit this other than the obvious T5 manual flywheel, will any of the other 850 /V70 flywheels fit.

I am pressuming the mounts are the same to fit a manual box onto an engine that has had an auto box.

p fandango
Tuesday 21st December 2010, 19:48
yeh a few people have done auto to manual conversion so the all fit the same, i think all 850's (manuals) use the same flywheel but not 100% on that

Jamest5r
Tuesday 21st December 2010, 19:57
Just been offered a T5 lump out of an Auto, what flywheel will fit this other than the obvious T5 manual flywheel, will any of the other 850 /V70 flywheels fit.

I am pressuming the mounts are the same to fit a manual box onto an engine that has had an auto box.

Yes and yes mate, i swopped an auto box for a manual and later on i put an auto engine in and the fly wheel bolted straight on, all the pre me7 are the same im not on the me7 onwards though.

Paul Hassell
Thursday 23rd December 2010, 20:54
HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO THE THIEVING BA****DS ....WHO BROKE INTO OUR WORKSHOP THE NIGHT BEFORE LAST AND CLEARED US OUT OF WELDERS, GRINDERS, TOOLS, 20+ WHEELS AND TYRES, RACE SPARES ETC ETC....

Guys, please take this as a warning to make sure your workshops are secure over the holidays, these people are all over the country and dont care who they upset at this time of goodwill to all people !

ANYWAY, HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY.

SKIDMARKS
Friday 24th December 2010, 10:49
Sorry to hear that bud, no good now but wire everything into the mains cos they usually return...guy I know has a garage and he has a huge GS that lives in it.

SKIDMARKS
Friday 24th December 2010, 10:53
Sorry to hear that bud, no good now but wire everything into the mains cos they usually return...guy I know has a garage and he has a huge GS that lives in it.

Btw oil... you could always fit an Accusump with the epc valve or do the regs not allow ?

Paul Hassell
Monday 7th February 2011, 14:54
I am looking for some bits now for spares, Complete engine, gearbox, Shafts, turbo, etc please let me know if you have anything lying around that might help.

My mate is now looking to build another car the same as mine so i am in the market for another complete set up or ideally a complete manual car, condition is unimportant as long as it runs, he may even consider a non turbo model, i dont know which is the most powerful non turbo, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

I will post an update on the build shortly.

Al115
Monday 7th February 2011, 16:50
Chuck a T4 lump in one. Lighter and plenty tuneable, like the T5. :)

Paul Hassell
Monday 7th February 2011, 17:28
Yeah we did talk over the weekend about the T4, what sort of power do they produce as standard and what is sensibly and cheaply achievable ??

Al115
Monday 7th February 2011, 17:45
200bhp as standard and you can chip them up with similar proportion gains to a T5. Or put forged bits in it and go for 400bhp (I have to confess that I'm selling a built T4 block myself at the moment so I'm not entirely impartial ;) )

Cheers...

Paul Hassell
Tuesday 1st March 2011, 23:25
I have not got round to posting much on the build recently but I will be adding an update this weekend, but I do have a question for you experts...are there any differences between T5 manuals driveshafts and T5 auto driveshafts, and while we are on the subjects are Diesel shafts the same ??

streaky744
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 22:26
loving the build, i also race a T5 powered short oval car, no where near as cool as yours as mine still in a volvo lol, but had some good results with it.

yours has the speed mine just has a fancy paint job or did have when new

Paul Hassell
Friday 13th May 2011, 21:43
OK, so at last I have got round to updating my project thread.

My car has finally left the workshop and hit the rollers for mapping.... below are the latest pictures.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/09052011313.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/09052011309.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/09052011312.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/10052011332.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/10052011333.jpg

Other than 5 hours on the rollers at Emeralds HQ in Watton, Norfolk the beast has had a bit of a blast round the farm yard ( and a near miss with a log pile which will be uploaded on my youtube shortly)

In the meantime.... check this out.... http://www.youtube.com/user/HASSELLAUTOGRASS?feature=mhee

p fandango
Friday 13th May 2011, 21:49
that must fly, its all engine lol. What power did you get?

& i like the grill

LiamT4
Friday 13th May 2011, 21:50
Bloody hell! That looks like an r/c car thats had sex with a volvo!

Looks good.

Paul Hassell
Friday 13th May 2011, 22:06
that must fly, its all engine lol. What power did you get?

& i like the grill

Yeah my sign writer got carried a bit carried away with the whole airbrushed Volvo grill thing !! better than I had anticipated when I did the designs.

MWT5
Friday 13th May 2011, 22:20
Paul the special is looking good,are you going to try and qualify it for the nationals this year.
My t5 class 6 project has stalled big time built two engine frames and then scrapped both so starting from scratch again, hopeful to get it finished and racing towards the end of the season.

Paul Hassell
Friday 13th May 2011, 22:48
Paul the special is looking good,are you going to try and qualify it for the nationals this year.
My t5 class 6 project has stalled big time built two engine frames and then scrapped both so starting from scratch again, hopeful to get it finished and racing towards the end of the season.

Hi mate, not bothered about the nationals this year and not even doing Border Counties this year because I will be at the F1 in Spa !

Hope you will get your frame sorted soon and hope we can meet up sometime soon.

Jamest5r
Friday 13th May 2011, 23:03
That is mental, a t5 block in something that weighs next to nothing, would like to see what it would do on a 1/4 mile.

MWT5
Friday 13th May 2011, 23:05
Hi mate, not bothered about the nationals this year and not even doing Border Counties this year because I will be at the F1 in Spa !

Hope you will get your frame sorted soon and hope we can meet up sometime soon.

F1 in spa lucky man, lol
I ll get the front end sorted soon just got to stick with one idea and stop changing it, no doubt we will bump into each other at one of the big meetings.
Have a great time at spa.

LiamT4
Friday 13th May 2011, 23:08
That is mental, a t5 block in something that weighs next to nothing, would like to see what it would do on a 1/4 mile.

Depends what the gearing is like, but i'd imagine it to be pretty quick!

Paul Hassell
Friday 13th May 2011, 23:20
We regularly do Santa Pod with our other cars and this car will be there as soon as I have ironed out the usual teething problems, I will post on here as soon as I have planned a date and perhaps a few of you will come and have a meet up.

LiamT4
Friday 13th May 2011, 23:22
We regularly do Santa Pod with our other cars and this car will be there as soon as I have ironed out the usual teething problems, I will post on here as soon as I have planned a date and perhaps a few of you will come and have a meet up.

I'd definatly go to see this go up the strip.

Paul Hassell
Wednesday 8th June 2011, 11:40
Finally got the beast out on the track a couple of weekends ago.

she absolutely flies, only a driveshaft failure in the 1st race slowed me down, this was only caused by a rear arm mounting bracket bending causing the shaft to extend further than it should and pulled the joint out, this resulted in a spectacular multiple spin because I was under full power when it happened and I have locked the diff !!

Out again with it this Sunday at St Neots, Bedfordshire if anybody fancies a look.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/247105_2151558908085_1219766496_2759448_8098559_n. jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/24052011455.jpg

Alan M
Wednesday 8th June 2011, 17:51
Great to see it up and Going Paul. Whats it go like with the Volvo engine in now compared to the last lump?

Paul Hassell
Wednesday 8th June 2011, 19:11
It was awesome in a straight line, we knew almost immediately that we had a problem with the suspension mount so we were nursing it a bit in the corners, but it was still a good shakedown.

Be pushing it more this Sunday !!!

Paul Hassell
Wednesday 15th June 2011, 12:11
Absolutely flying on Sunday at St Neots with no problems at all.

We will be doing some demonstration races at Brandon Stadium Coventry on Saturday night if anybody is nearby.

96T5Andy
Wednesday 15th June 2011, 13:46
Only just seen the pictures on this thread! that is awesome, must be so much fun!

Dave86
Wednesday 15th June 2011, 13:51
Id love something like this but wouldn't even know where round start if i was to build one lol

Paul Hassell
Friday 17th June 2011, 09:47
Believe me there is a hell of a lot of work involved in building them from scratch like we do!!

p fandango
Friday 17th June 2011, 09:59
Absolutely flying on Sunday at St Neots with no problems at all.

We will be doing some demonstration races at Brandon Stadium Coventry on Saturday night if anybody is nearby.
how much is it to get in & what time, almost missed your post & i'm only round the corner lol

p fandango
Friday 17th June 2011, 10:06
LINK (http://www.startrax.info/nextmeetingpage.htm) does look like a good meet

Paul Hassell
Friday 17th June 2011, 10:39
how much is it to get in & what time, almost missed your post & i'm only round the corner lol

If you do happen to come, please make sure you come and find me in the pits, it would be great to put a face to a name !!

p fandango
Friday 17th June 2011, 11:56
If you do happen to come, please make sure you come and find me in the pits, it would be great to put a face to a name !!
i certainly will sir

Wobbly Dave
Friday 17th June 2011, 12:22
It would be awesome to see. Can I have a go (cheeky I know)

p fandango
Friday 17th June 2011, 12:24
It would be awesome to see. Can I have a go (cheeky I know)
still not sure whats planned for tomorrow, but if i do go i'll be taking my video camera. Be interesting to see how it does on the small Brandon circuit

Paul Hassell
Friday 17th June 2011, 12:39
Well it will be good to see you if you do go, and any video footage will be good. we will have our on board camera on as well so perhaps we could mix both into a video we could bung on our you tube.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 17th June 2011, 12:58
Sadly I will be busy getting ready for my trip to Malaysia. It would be really good if you could bring the grassy T5 to Avon Park - we could see what kind of 1/4 you can get out of it. Have you changed the gear ratio?

Paul Hassell
Friday 17th June 2011, 13:09
Sadly I cant make the Avon Park meet because we have a big 2 day meeting at my home club at St Neots.

We are planning a day at Santa Pod at some point this summer so will post a date on here when we know it and if anybody fancies coming along we could make a day of it !

The gearbox has standard ratio's at the moment as I want to get the chassis and handling sorted before we start developing the engine and transmission.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 17th June 2011, 13:26
I am not a huge fan of santa pod because the fire up lane is separated from the strip itself. Queuing is a chore, coz you can't see squat! However I will give it a go again just to see your machine perform. Should be a giggle.

p fandango
Sunday 19th June 2011, 08:54
how did it go at Brandon last night? Sorry i didn't make it, had guests round & lost track of time. Let us know if your here again please sir

Paul Hassell
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 12:43
how did it go at Brandon last night? Sorry i didn't make it, had guests round & lost track of time. Let us know if your here again please sir

Yes we had a fantastic night, took us a while to get the set up right as the shale had so much grip I couldn't get the back to step out properly but eventually we got it sorted by putting a smaller diameter tyre on the inside rear wheel.

http://www.autograssphoto.net/Cov1806Spl/full/Cov1806%20J1114.jpg

I think we may have had to much back pressure in the exhaust though because it melted the baffles shut in the exhaust !!!

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/19062011480-1.jpg

MWT5
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 18:19
Wow what exhaust can is that.
Good to see it up and running well paul,I'm probably looking at next season for mine too much work and not enough motivation .

Paul Hassell
Wednesday 22nd June 2011, 10:43
Wow what exhaust can is that.
Good to see it up and running well paul,I'm probably looking at next season for mine too much work and not enough motivation .

Kawasaki ZX12 titanium !!

Alan M
Thursday 23rd June 2011, 07:37
What bore is that exhasut? Looks a little small but pictures can be deceiving. You can make your own 3" bore backbox item with decent baffelling for under £60 if you have a mig or tig welder.

Paul Hassell
Thursday 23rd June 2011, 09:53
What bore is that exhasut? Looks a little small but pictures can be deceiving. You can make your own 3" bore backbox item with decent baffelling for under £60 if you have a mig or tig welder.

It was 3" but with a bit too much baffle, we have now cut the 2 ends off, removed the inner baffle section, made up a straight through perforated baffle tube and stitched that inside, then TIG welded the ends back on. Should get it refitted on the car tonite and see how she sounds.

Paul Hassell
Wednesday 19th October 2011, 11:48
Ok, I thought I had better update this tread a little.

I have just about finished this season and other than a lot of exploded CV joints the car has proved it has bags of potential.

I have had a pair of (hopefully) unbreakable driveshafts made which use UJs instead of CVs.

My biggest plan for the winter is to remove the turbo and fit a supercharger instead to give me more usable power across the full rev range.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/SN2409A0409.jpg

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 19th October 2011, 11:54
Looking good there paul - what turbo is on there at the mo?

Paul Hassell
Wednesday 19th October 2011, 12:12
Looking good there paul - what turbo is on there at the mo?

It is the 15g.

Paul Hassell
Monday 27th February 2012, 18:57
I an considering selling my toy now as I cant see me getting any time to race it this season, so she is now advertised on the classifieds, have a look and feel free to give me a shout if you are interested.

Dave86
Monday 27th February 2012, 19:59
Hi Paul i don't suppose it was you i saw at work today i work in the unit next door to all scene all props in goudhurst.

Paul Hassell
Monday 27th February 2012, 23:11
Hi Paul i don't suppose it was you i saw at work today i work in the unit next door to all scene all props in goudhurst.

Yes mate that was me, you should have come and said hello.

Dave86
Monday 27th February 2012, 23:30
Ah thought so it took me a while to work out where id seen 'sew smart embroidery' before lol