PDA

View Full Version : Pcv system

MWT5
Tuesday 30th November 2010, 22:38
Has anyone removed the pcv system completely, I've heard it could cause the engine to smoke?
As this will be an engine used for racing I don't like the idea of oil being recycled back through the intake.

p fandango
Wednesday 1st December 2010, 03:29
i'm in the process of doing it, but i've not had it running since the system has been binned

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/2589/39196150872223392411103.jpg

Chopster
Wednesday 1st December 2010, 08:51
I gather you've had a couple of issues with the wiring loom??? :jaw:

MWT5
Wednesday 1st December 2010, 11:21
i'm in the process of doing it, but i've not had it running since the system has been binned

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/2589/39196150872223392411103.jpg

Looking at your pic you have taken the cam box cover breather and the block breather(pcv) canister joined them together and put them into a catch tank. Did you get rid of the pipes from the turbo Intake side.
Have you just vented the catch tank to atmosphere.

Still curious to know if anyone has this type of modified breather system working on there car.

p fandango
Wednesday 1st December 2010, 16:43
Looking at your pic you have taken the cam box cover breather and the block breather(pcv) canister joined them together and put them into a catch tank. Did you get rid of the pipes from the turbo Intake side.
Have you just vented the catch tank to atmosphere.
yeh, once your running a catch tank (even with PCV) the intake side of it is redundant as its only the return out of the PCV. The clear pipe from the catch tank as you say is vented to the atmosphere. Russ is running a similiar system but runs the sump return to the catch tank as well while i've just blocked it off

MWT5
Wednesday 1st December 2010, 17:21
On the side of your catch tank near the top you have a small pipe with a black union on it where have you got that going to.

p fandango
Wednesday 1st December 2010, 17:23
On the side of your catch tank near the top you have a small pipe with a black union on it where have you got that going to.
thats just a guage to tell you how full the catch tank is, it simply a union top & bottom of the tank with a clear tube between so you can see the level

MWT5
Wednesday 1st December 2010, 18:03
thats just a guage to tell you how full the catch tank is, it simply a union top & bottom of the tank with a clear tube between so you can see the level

Thanks I will be getting shut of the pcv system make things more simple and stops the oil vapour going into the intake.
Is the one you blanked off the bottom of the two holes in the block.

p fandango
Wednesday 1st December 2010, 18:09
Is the one you blanked off the bottom of the two holes in the block.
no its the bottom one i've blocked, the oil return to the sump