PDA

View Full Version : what have i done?

T5frankie
Sunday 28th November 2010, 19:32
After fitting a nice alloy gear knob i now have a really sloppy gearstick and i can hardly engage 1st and 2nd unless i push down hard and push forward to first, i did struggle to get the old one off pushing and pulling etc i had to cut it off in the end.

Also i re-aligned my steering wheel now the airbag light is on i took off to double check the connector was on for the airbag and it was, any ideas?

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 28th November 2010, 19:47
Did you have to force the new gearknob on? Perhaps you dislodged one of the axis mounts in the lever box.

T5frankie
Sunday 28th November 2010, 19:50
Did you have to force the new gearknob on? Perhaps you dislodged one of the axis mounts in the lever box.

no force putting it on but alot taking the old one off

t5 pete
Sunday 28th November 2010, 19:54
sounds like a centre console off job to see what you may have damaged

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 28th November 2010, 21:09
no force putting it on but alot taking the old one off

That's what you get for yanking your knob too much lol.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 28th November 2010, 21:11
Reference Airbag, if the battery wasnt disconnected or the keys were in the ignition the light would have come on. On some models it will turn off in time however you will most likely need to get it plugged into vida/vadis to be reset mate.

Jamest5r
Monday 29th November 2010, 11:45
After fitting a nice alloy gear knob i now have a really sloppy gearstick and i can hardly engage 1st and 2nd unless i push down hard and push forward to first, i did struggle to get the old one off pushing and pulling etc i had to cut it off in the end.

Also i re-aligned my steering wheel now the airbag light is on i took off to double check the connector was on for the airbag and it was, any ideas?

You have broken the plastic circular thinghy that sits on top of the selector, i know this as ive done exactly the same twice lol, you will see it if you lift the leather surround you will see what i mean, just superglue it back into place.

Flatout Phil
Monday 29th November 2010, 12:48
That's what you get for yanking your knob too much lol.

My thoughts precisely!

S70T5Chris
Monday 29th November 2010, 14:32
Just a thought...

When you removed the airbag from the steering wheel, did you put the little grub screw in, to fix the position of the airbag contact coil? If not, the coil may have unwound itself. If that's the case, I think you'd have to buy a new one. A decent code reader should point you in the right direction.

T5frankie
Monday 29th November 2010, 16:51
You have broken the plastic circular thinghy that sits on top of the selector, i know this as ive done exactly the same twice lol, you will see it if you lift the leather surround you will see what i mean, just superglue it back into place.

yeah looked at that it popped up off the two tabs, in trying to put it back down i broke the top tab and how do you push it down enough to click back in?

Jamest5r
Monday 29th November 2010, 17:05
yeah looked at that it popped up off the two tabs, in trying to put it back down i broke the top tab and how do you push it down enough to click back in?

Just superglued it back into place, been working ok for months now.

T5frankie
Monday 29th November 2010, 17:16
Just superglued it back into place, been working ok for months now.

but i cant push it down far enough for the holes to be near the metal tabs

Jamest5r
Monday 29th November 2010, 17:37
Dont know then mate, cant you pull the bottom part up to meet it??

T5frankie
Monday 29th November 2010, 17:46
Dont know then mate, cant you pull the bottom part up to meet it??

the bottom part is the ball at the end and cant do nuffink in the bloody dark, go to work in the dark come home in the dark no time for enyfink else lol

Jamest5r
Monday 29th November 2010, 18:11
the bottom part is the ball at the end and cant do nuffink in the bloody dark, go to work in the dark come home in the dark no time for enyfink else lol

I know that feeling well mate.

Maybe the v70 ones are slightly different?.

smithy
Monday 29th November 2010, 22:58
[/U][/I][/B]

I know that feeling well mate.

Maybe the v70 ones are slightly different?.

no they are the same