PDA

View Full Version : 93' 940, good choice ?

nobananas
Thursday 25th November 2010, 20:24
I'm thinking of getting a 940 2.3 turbo and have seen one on ebay that is in the same town as me ! It's a 93' manual and I'm thinking of doing some light tuning if I get it. I'm not that clued up on 940's, am I right in thinking that it will have the stronger 13mm rods, may or may not have a piston spray bar but won't have the M90 box as that came later (it's manual with overdrive so I assume this means the M47 but the M90 will fit straight in ?). Any advice gratefully received,

The Flying Moose
Thursday 25th November 2010, 20:28
Smithy!!! Where are you?

nobananas smithy is your man on these.

All I can say is from seeing his car and the countless phonecalls a 940 has a hell of a lot of potential and far easier to work on than the 850 (much more space in the engine). The redblock is supposed to be strong way into the 400bhp mark.

Jamest5r
Thursday 25th November 2010, 20:37
Smithy!!! Where are you?

nobananas smithy is your man on these.

All I can say is from seeing his car and the countless phonecalls a 940 has a hell of a lot of potential and far easier to work on than the 850 (much more space in the engine). The redblock is supposed to be strong way into the 400bhp mark.

A couple of hours ago the was on the A34 going very slowly lol, he should get home later if he's lucky.

Some light reading on Smithy's car for you nobanana's..http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20220&highlight=smithy+940

nobananas
Thursday 25th November 2010, 20:44
I have read a lot of good things about the 940's and although I love my old Laguna estate (sorry !) I feel like a change......the fact that my old Laguna is getting slower by the day has nothing to do with it !

The Flying Moose
Thursday 25th November 2010, 20:45
A couple of hours ago the was on the A34 going very slowly lol, he should get home later if he's lucky.

Some light reading on Smithy's car for you nobanana's..http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20220&highlight=smithy+940

Im quite supprised he hasnt rang today.... I have spoken to him at least twice every other day this week!

smithy
Thursday 25th November 2010, 20:50
I have read a lot of good things about the 940's and although I love my old Laguna estate (sorry !) I feel like a change......the fact that my old Laguna is getting slower by the day has nothing to do with it !

they are all easy to work on mate but if i was you i would get the later 96 to 97 model mate they are the best 1s to get.have you seen my car on the rollers

nobananas
Thursday 25th November 2010, 21:02
they are all easy to work on mate but if i was you i would get the later 96 to 97 model mate they are the best 1s to get.have you seen my car on the rollers

I had been looking for a later model but this one caught my eye simply because it was close !. What's the main differences between the two, is it just the box's or are there others ?

smithy
Thursday 25th November 2010, 21:09
I had been looking for a later model but this one caught my eye simply because it was close !. What's the main differences between the two, is it just the box's or are there others ?

mainly gearboxs and interiors and the soec and colours are better on the last 1s mate

nobananas
Thursday 25th November 2010, 21:20
mainly gearboxs and interiors and the soec and colours are better on the last 1s mate

Must admit I do love that purple/aubergine colour some of the later ones came in, the one I'm looking at is silver, which ain't great but could be worse ! So engine wise then this one wouldn't be too bad ie still easily tuneable ?

smithy
Thursday 25th November 2010, 21:23
Must admit I do love that purple/aubergine colour some of the later ones came in, the one I'm looking at is silver, which ain't great but could be worse ! So engine wise then this one wouldn't be too bad ie still easily tuneable ?

very easierly tunable mate 250 bhp very easy