PDA

View Full Version : Tuning an 850 T5

Ade
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 13:28
Where to start?!

What gains can you get from just a chip on a standard car?
Anyone used the ebay chips?!

At what power output do things start breaking? :lol:

hamish
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 13:38
Where to start?!

This should be interesting:bricks:

Santa
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 14:08

Start by avoiding those Ebay chips......you can buy a bag of resistors from Maplin for about 50p (Which is all you will get in the box they provide).

After that....stage 0....just get the car in the best working state as possible before moving forward....

hamish
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 14:17
Where to start?!

The correct answers are of course:

1) With a 'stage 0'
2) Good gains......upto 40hp at peak but alot more lower down the rev range.
3) Good luck.
4) After 1.2 bar of boost on an 850

Regards,
Hamish.

Ade
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 21:41
So do many reputable used chips come up for sale often? What sort of price you looking at? In fact what sort of price for a new one?

Is there much to be gained from the usual breathing mods on these cars as well?

LiamT4
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 21:57
Where to start! lol

Start with making sure everything is in good working order.

For a start you can do the following:
Panel filter or cone (both give pretty much the same on lightly modded cars)
RIP kit (reverse intercooler pipe). Hope you aint got an auto! lol
De-cat
Re-map
MBC

you may want to get the brakes sorted if you've still got the 280s on and fit a strutbrace to help the handling.

Ade
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 22:03
Not actually got a car yet, but possibly getting a manual T5 tomorrow! :D

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 22:13
Do yourself a favour, go to a reputable ECU supplier and for no more than £295 (and in one place almost half that price) get a plug and play!

You will have lots of fun with a remap - trust me. Thought I put up a post earlier - but either forgot to hit submit, or there was a problem with it.
My set up (see my signature below) has been on for the best part of two years and still works as well as the day I got the car. Not been RR but I can say it is a lot punchier than the T5 I used to have. Those wiser than me will know what bends rods - but the set-up I have works beautifully and clearly has not over stressed the engine.

What seems to get shagged are wishbone bushes though - although my current Volvo set seem to be bearing up very well.

t5 pete
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 22:16
you can get the car chiped for £150 all you have to do is fone hlm tuning tell them your ecu numbers and then he will send you one out or you can take your car down there for it doing it using the postal service i think its a £100 surcharge which is refunded when you send your standard ecu back.
Also as for how far can you push them it all depends on what map you have but any thing over 300bhp ide get forged rods then any thing after 400 is recomended to chage the pistons aswell.
Most other components seem to hold up well with running good power but russ on here is running around 500 i think and had to have the gear box worked on

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 22:17
Not actually got a car yet, but possibly getting a manual T5 tomorrow! :D

A very wise choice! I loved my 850 T5... its going tomorrow :(

Im actually regretting buying this T5-R at the moment with these seemingly never ending issues.

Ade
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 01:19
Interesting stuff!

Read that they have a limiter at 142MPH?
What can they manage with that removed?!

Does your average chip incorporate the removal of the limiter?

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 01:22
Interesting stuff!

Well I had my 850 estate to over that on a private road and that was according to the satelite speed system I used.

I have seen some with stupid power reach over 170mph

p fandango
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 02:25

can't remember if its 150 or 155mph that there limited to, & yes i believe all remaps remove it. On a standard car you'll be pushed to get to the limiter anyway

JelT5
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 05:42
Im actually regretting buying this T5-R at the moment with these seemingly never ending issues.

Tell me about it! Mine's been a constant source of hatred and displeasure since I bought it back in May lol
Poor Jamest5r (amongst other patient folk) has had to put up with a constant stream of moaning and complaining about The Olive Shed! I owe him so many beers now, I may as well buy a brewery and be done with it ;)

Apologies for the thread hijack!

Santa
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 09:07
A very wise choice! I loved my 850 T5... its going tomorrow :(

Welcome to R ownership :-p

No seriously.....whats up?

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 10:14
Welcome to R ownership :-p

No seriously.....whats up?

This boost shudder mate, its driving me up the wall. I just cant work out what it is :(

Santa
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 13:49
This boost shudder mate, its driving me up the wall. I just cant work out what it is :(

Bouncing off the boost cut out style shudder?

Ade
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 14:10
Another question... lowering.

Do they take well to it? Does it knock the geometry out badly?

What's this about self levelling suspension? Do they all have this?

p fandango
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 14:18
Another question... lowering.

Do they take well to it? Does it knock the geometry out badly?

What's this about self levelling suspension? Do they all have this?
the rear stay quite nice & lined up, you can buy camber adjustment bolts for the front to give more adjustment

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2879/10224121398998580211103.jpg
more overloaded than lowered, but you can see how the geometry stays nice on the rear

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 16:05
Bouncing off the boost cut out style shudder?

Yes mate thats pretty much what its doing.

Ade
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 16:17
the rear stay quite nice & lined up, you can buy camber adjustment bolts for the front to give more adjustment

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2879/10224121398998580211103.jpg
more overloaded than lowered, but you can see how the geometry stays nice on the rear

Looks smart!
What springs is that one running?

Al115
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 16:30
About 100kg of concrete in the boot I think :D

p fandango
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 16:37
Looks smart!
What springs is that one running?
i'm using Volvo's lowered chassis springs, but in that pic i had got about 30 boxes of ceramic floor tiles on the back seat

Santa
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 20:09
Yes mate thats pretty much what its doing.

You sure the bost gauge is accurate?.....try turning the boost down a couple of psi or so

Ade
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 23:52
i'm using Volvo's lowered chassis springs, but in that pic i had got about 30 boxes of ceramic floor tiles on the back seat

Disappointing! :lol:

p fandango
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 23:59
Disappointing! :lol:
don't worry i've got to cut the spring yet so anythings possible, she's sitting a bit high at the minute lol

Ade
Thursday 25th November 2010, 00:18
Bought the T5 tonight....... pix and many questions to follow! :lol:

The Flying Moose
Thursday 25th November 2010, 00:21
Bought the T5 tonight....... pix and many questions to follow! :lol:

Well done, you have now entered the high powered 5 cylinder club. Dont tell me its an R though.... if it is your wallet will empty quickly with problems!

Ade
Thursday 25th November 2010, 00:27
Nope it's a verrrrry standard 855 T5! Seems nice but has a few minor bits to sort.

The Flying Moose
Thursday 25th November 2010, 00:34
Nope it's a verrrrry standard 855 T5! Seems nice but has a few minor bits to sort.

Always the best way, gives you a clean sheet to start with after its been given good service.

Do you have any plans for it then?

colnotts
Thursday 25th November 2010, 00:34
you will find all the answers on here mate. top bunch of people who love to help.
now you own a volvo dont forget the pipe and slippers lol

The Flying Moose
Thursday 25th November 2010, 00:36
you will find all the answers on here mate. top bunch of people who love to help.
now you own a volvo dont forget the pipe and slippers lol

Guess what the guys at work have bought me for the T5-R.... a cushion wicker hat and tissue box for the rear parcel shelf!

colnotts
Thursday 25th November 2010, 00:41
lol guess they have never had the pleasure of owning a volvo.
i love it when people say stuff like that.

Ade
Thursday 25th November 2010, 00:49
Argh, don't say pipe and slippers! I'm finding it difficult enough... this is my first ever 'sensible car'. :lol:

Maybe some r stylings and some slight power increases, oh and some lowering..... oh yeah and a tow bar, can't forget the functional stuff!

LiamT4
Thursday 25th November 2010, 16:13
Well done, you have now entered the high powered 5 cylinder club. Dont tell me its an R though.... if it is your wallet will empty quickly with problems!

The only times that my R costs me money is when i mod it, oh and the fuel, they do like to eat the front tyres too, but apart from that its been totally reliable. Yours will get there soon.

ex911driver
Thursday 25th November 2010, 19:47
Where did you find a T5 in the end Ade?

The Flying Moose
Thursday 25th November 2010, 19:54
Where did you find a T5 in the end Ade?

More to the point.... where are the pictures!

ex911driver
Thursday 25th November 2010, 20:05
and did he have trouble getting there in the snow? Im sure he is near Glasgow.

Ade
Thursday 25th November 2010, 20:16
I'm in Glasgow just now...... check...... nope no snow!

Bought it quite locally in Fife. Strange as I was quite prepared to travel anywhere in the UK for one, yet I found one an hour away :lol:

Pix soon, not taken any yet!

The Flying Banana
Thursday 25th November 2010, 21:34
This is mine with standard shocks with self leveling top mounts :)

Mines is mapped, filter, stainless, next time i am up at Kyles you can take it out and see what its like

Ade
Thursday 25th November 2010, 21:54
That looks smart! How do you know Kyle?

PS, what's the deal with the self levelling suspension? Hows it work, do they all have it, etc?

The Flying Banana
Thursday 25th November 2010, 23:49
Know him and Jeek and Toole etc, infact know you too lol, i had the red 535i sport you ttook pics off for Performance BMW....was up at Thunder Valley last week with my little boy and Jeek took him round track :)

Ade
Friday 26th November 2010, 01:23
Haha, small world mate!

Didn't now you had a T5r as well....

walter leever
Sunday 28th November 2010, 01:08
hi matey,as for lowering the 850 there are several options,springs,coilovers and for the self leveling suspension there are specially made bushes.

take a look here,but not too long,you'll be hooked,lol(also for a remap,but MTE in this case)

www.europeantuning.com

gr,walter

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 28th November 2010, 09:05
Well I had my 850 estate to over that on a private road and that was according to the satelite speed system I used.

I have seen some with stupid power reach over 170mph

What is the highest speed you have seen on an 850 or 854 ?

:worthless

The Flying Banana
Sunday 28th November 2010, 13:37
The white 850 i had ( had some work done ) went off clock a few times till the needle was vertical and it wasnt a struggle getting there

si850r
Sunday 28th November 2010, 14:00

mines an R......no problems so far.............touch wood....

glock19
Monday 29th November 2010, 09:18
The maintenance on the 850s are actually easy on the pocket but they loose alot on mileage compared to the newer Volvos (running ETM). Get it chipped to have some serious fun. If still not enough, change the turbo or better still, change the turbo first so you don't have to go for a second remap.

Better look out for a better braking system than lowering your car, unless the sky's the limit for you. I'm currently trying to retrofit a S60-T5 caliper (note : not the extended one using the original 850 caliper, which I already have with the 302 mm disc). Once I have the design, I'll pass it to Adam (he doesn't know it yet) for your local fab.

Ade
Monday 29th November 2010, 10:44
I'd say it really needs lowering before brakes.
I'm used to much firmer suspension, all that body roll and comfort is just a bit weird :lol: