PDA

View Full Version : Unsuccessful RIP kit attempt.

LiamT4
Monday 22nd November 2010, 21:47
At least i now know what it feels like when an intercooler pipe comes off on full boost!

As some may know emlyn (v70ets) came round tonight to fit me the RIP kit off his old 855. Well nothing went to plan, after getting all the old pipe work off we couldn't get the larger piping on because my car is an auto and the dip stick for the auto box just gets in the way so that 1 of the silicon joints won't reach to the engine.
So we had to take it off again and fit the old piping back on, which for some reason was much harder to put back on, while doing this i managed to break a small bit of plastic thats on the throttle cable, so when we started it up it was idleing at 2.5k, but after a few jiggles we got it sorted.

So we took it out to see if everything was ok, went onto a dual carriage way and booted it, everything was fine, so turned off a slip road and onto a roundabout, up another dual carriage way and was going past a van when a astra vxr came up behind, so gave it another bootfull (from about 30mph off the roundabout), got to about 5k and suddenly nothing, just spluttering!
Managed to get to the inside lane before the car cut out, then we had to push it uphill, to a little side road to put the pipe back on. It was at that time i really wish i didn't have a big s70 with electric seats and an auto! lol It was sooooooo heavy!

Yep we'd forgot to check the pipe from the intercooler!:dunce::doh:

Well its all sorted now, just feel for emlyn because he's been working on his and my car all day and got nowhere!

Its all experience!

p fandango
Monday 22nd November 2010, 21:56
well you know how to solve that mate, put a proper gearbox in it lol

being serious shame it didn't work out, i'm sure JelT5 had a RIP kit on his V70 auto

AndysR
Monday 22nd November 2010, 21:58
Bad news, and I guess you now have a debt to settle with the VXR....

LiamT4
Monday 22nd November 2010, 21:59
Smithy says that the standard volvo 1 would fit. Its 1 part that isn't long enough because the dip stick pushes the allloy piping at slight angle which means its the pipe ends up being about an inch to far from the engine.

LiamT4
Monday 22nd November 2010, 22:02
Bad news, and I guess you now have a debt to settle with the VXR....

Damn right! Red vxr with an old bloke driving. lol

Your cars an auto isn't it? do you have a rip kit on?

AndysR
Monday 22nd November 2010, 22:04
Damn right! Red vxr with an old bloke driving. lol

Your cars an auto isn't it? do you have a rip kit on?

Yeah it is auto, still has the standard piping fitted and I went for the Samco hoses with that setup so won't be changing that anytime soon.. lol

Better keep an eye peeled, can't have them thinking they have taken the crown now! lol

LiamT4
Monday 22nd November 2010, 22:14
Yeah it is auto, still has the standard piping fitted and I went for the Samco hoses with that setup so won't be changing that anytime soon.. lol

Better keep an eye peeled, can't have them thinking they have taken the crown now! lol

I bet he got a load of petrol fumes in his face! What with the amount of fuel that must have been pumped into the engine when the pipe came off.

wegal
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 11:13
Hehe, ive lost the intercooler pipe 3 or 4 times, I have to have big clips to hold it all on. Odd thing is though if it come off the intercooler side then the engine cuts out, if it comes of the turbo side then it just looses boost but runs, not sure why cos its just different ends of the same pipe.....

.... did it go with a bang ? Mine normally does, scares the ****e outa ya lol

JelT5
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 11:55
being serious shame it didn't work out, i'm sure JelT5 had a RIP kit on his V70 auto

I did and I got it to fit (with a bit of brute force near the TB area).
Worked a treat in the end :)

LiamT4
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 18:39
I did and I got it to fit (with a bit of brute force near the TB area).
Worked a treat in the end :)

What kit did you use (ipd, standard volvo, or homemade)? As even after we had adjusted the the bracket that has the dipstick for autobox on it, we still couldn't get it to fit.

JelT5
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 19:14
What kit did you use (ipd, standard volvo, or homemade)? As even after we had adjusted the the bracket that has the dipstick for autobox on it, we still couldn't get it to fit.

Home made Liam; it was a real struggle too. I didn't use very large piping tbh, IIRC it was 57mm and I used the original hose to connect to the idle valve.
I honestly can't remember whether I had probs around the autobox dipstick- probably did and have blanked it out of my memory due to the trauma suffered lol
Sorry to say I've no pics to post up of what I did :( There's only one in my 'garage' of the top part of the RIP on my old V70.

siamblue
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 19:58
I have had it done to me on 3 different cars now on rip kits, so now i double clamp the pipes,

Gary

LiamT4
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 22:06
Home made Liam; it was a real struggle too. I didn't use very large piping tbh, IIRC it was 57mm and I used the original hose to connect to the idle valve.
I honestly can't remember whether I had probs around the autobox dipstick- probably did and have blanked it out of my memory due to the trauma suffered lol
Sorry to say I've no pics to post up of what I did :( There's only one in my 'garage' of the top part of the RIP on my old V70.

Did it still make a difference with the smaller pipe work?

.... did it go with a bang ? Mine normally does, scares the ****e outa ya lol

Can't really remember now, all i remember thinking was "wheres the bloody hazard lights button!?" lol

JelT5
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 22:09
Did it still make a difference with the smaller pipe work?

It certainly felt like it did; put it this way, I ran a 14.6 in my old V70 with RIP, HLM 304, cone filter and a catback :)

LiamT4
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 22:12
It certainly felt like it did; put it this way, I ran a 14.6 in my old V70 with RIP, HLM 304, cone filter and a catback :)

Sounds like it could still be worth doing then.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 22:21
Shame we could get it done, going to pop it in the for sale section. If Jel could only just fit the 57mm is it any wonder a 76mm wouldnt fit!

What a day that turned out to be though!

LiamT4
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 22:28
Shame we could get it done, going to pop it in the for sale section. If Jel could only just fit the 57mm is it any wonder a 76mm wouldnt fit!

Did you get to deans or were you too ££££ed?
I forgot to ask, did my car feel ok to you, power wise?

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 22:53
Did you get to deans or were you too ££££ed?
I forgot to ask, did my car feel ok to you, power wise?

Yeah I got to Dean's (smithness), didnt leave till nearly 1am!

You car felt great mate. I would be happy with that. Like I told you the auto puts down the power very differently to a manual.... they actually I think give you more of a kick back into your chair.

LiamT4
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 23:06
Yeah I got to Dean's (smithness), didnt leave till nearly 1am!

You car felt great mate. I would be happy with that. Like I told you the auto puts down the power very differently to a manual.... they actually I think give you more of a kick back into your chair.

Cheers, i went to a volvo place today to ask about the throttle cable and also about checking the actuator. The guy took it out for a quick drive and he thought it was fine to. His actual words were "theres nothing at all wrong with that mate!" in a surprised tone. lol

Did you get anywhere with your car?

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 23:13
Cheers, i went to a volvo place today to ask about the throttle cable and also about checking the actuator. The guy took it out for a quick drive and he thought it was fine to. His actual words were "theres nothing at all wrong with that mate!" in a surprised tone. lol

Did you get anywhere with your car?

The reason smithy said tighten the actuator is becuase if it hasnt already been done it will be fairly loose, if the actuators tight it is more likely to hold a higher level of boost rather than peaking then dropping off again.

I didnt think there was anything wrong with the throttle cable just a little "sticky" perhaps

Nope got nowhere with mine yet. I have replaced the ignition coil pack, HT leads, spark plugs and Distributor so im fairly sure its nothing to do with the ignition/spark system!

Spent around an hour on the phone to smithy again today and we both wreckon its a collapsing boost pipe now. But its really hard to tell which without being on a rolling road. I tried to fit the RIP kit today to see if it was the main pipework but the jubilee clip on the lower intercooler is rounded off and as the intercooler connection is plastic I dont want to try break it off.

LiamT4
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 23:23
The reason smithy said tighten the actuator is becuase if it hasnt already been done it will be fairly loose, if the actuators tight it is more likely to hold a higher level of boost rather than peaking then dropping off again.

I didnt think there was anything wrong with the throttle cable just a little "sticky" perhaps

Nope got nowhere with mine yet. I have replaced the ignition coil pack, HT leads, spark plugs and Distributor so im fairly sure its nothing to do with the ignition/spark system!

Spent around an hour on the phone to smithy again today and we both wreckon its a collapsing boost pipe now. But its really hard to tell which without being on a rolling road. I tried to fit the RIP kit today to see if it was the main pipework but the jubilee clip on the lower intercooler is rounded off and as the intercooler connection is plastic I dont want to try break it off.

At least you won't need to do a stage 0 when youre done!

re: throttle cable, everything seems ok and it may only be very small piece of plastic, but its a broken piece of plastic and i can't have that! lol

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 23:26
At least you won't need to do a stage 0 when youre done!

re: throttle cable, everything seems ok and it may only be very small piece of plastic, but its a broken piece of plastic and i can't have that! lol

Im just thankfull that I have had a spare fully working car to use "test" parts from. Could have cost a bloody fortune by now.

May end up going for a day at smithy's... ;)

JelT5
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 06:27

Ah ha, that explains why you guys couldn't do it on Liam's.
Couldn't you do the over-engine in 76mm and the lower in a smaller diameter?

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 11:14
Ah ha, that explains why you guys couldn't do it on Liam's.
Couldn't you do the over-engine in 76mm and the lower in a smaller diameter?

I think thats a plan somewhere along the lines of what will have to be done. As smithy said the standard Volvo kit will work. It really is an open debate as to which size makes the most difference.

Santa
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 14:59
Im just thankfull that I have had a spare fully working car to use "test" parts from. Could have cost a bloody fortune by now.

May end up going for a day at smithy's... ;)

Well if you do be sure to swing by mine on the way back home ;-) (only joking....only if you want to)

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 24th November 2010, 17:05
Well if you do be sure to swing by mine on the way back home ;-) (only joking....only if you want to)

Of course mate, it would be rude not to if I was in the area!