PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance / Modification

jim_from_surrey
Sunday 17th July 2005, 23:46
Hi all

very recently got my T-5 (1995 saloon, standard, 163k) and wanting to get on with some servicing and improvement but wanted a few opinions on such matters...

1/ engine oil - whats best? car will be driven spiritedly and i always used castrol rs in my last turbo car, so was thinking either this or mobil 1 - anyone got any preferences? Also thinking of using an engine flush additive, anyone got any reasons why i shouldnt use this? Also - i know volvo dont recommend it but anyone used slick50 with good results on these engines? (have the ally crush washer needed for the sump plug ok)

2/ transmission oil (manual) i want to replace the gloop - anyone got any preferences? not sure i can go to the cost of redline stuff unless someone knows where to get this cheap?? Whats a decent quality brandname oil to use for this box?

3/ my local volvo dealer want nearly £40 for a dizzy cap for the T-5, are they takin the p*** or is this the usual cost? I've been told to get an oem dizzycap rather than one from a motor factors - anyone else agree/disagree?

4/ seen some spark plugs for turbo V850 on ebay - £20 or so, i read a post somewhere (this site i think!) that they're normally £20 from volvo dealers, but again my local ones want almost twice this - is the auction wrong, or my dealer overcharging? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4561774390&rd=1

5/ air filter - does a k&n element give a noticeable power gain as opposed to the stock one? dont think i want to go the induction kit route (hot under-bonnet air = less power, surely?) but if its worthwhile a replacement element would be good. I have heard of a modification to the airbox by drilling a few holes - will this benefit an otherwise (for now!) standard motor, and if so where do i drill, what size holes, and how many?!

6/ The brakes on my car dont seem to be up to the job, so looks like i need to replace the old brake fluid - anyone got any hints and tips for getting this done easily? Any specific fluids anyone particularly happy with? I think i will replace the pads very soon - is it worth using "performance" pads or keeping with volvo oem ones, or just get some from my local factors? Unless they are damaged (heres hoping some previous owner hasnt run them to the rivets) i will be keeping the standard discs, so whats the best pads for enthusiastic road driving conditions?

7/ Will drain and flush the coolant system too - anyone got any hints for this? obviously not the most difficult job but does the T5 have any irregularities i should watch for? any reccomendations of a good coolant flush additive?

8/ fuel filter - i take it this should be changed while i'm about it?

9/ strut brace - the front end seems a bit "wandery" with what feels like a varying amount of steering resistance when in a tight corner - would a strut brace help to sort this out or should i be looking more carefully for steering and suspension problems?

10/ suspension test - anything i can do to test the action of the shocks etc to see if they are gonners?

The car is generally a little tired, but still willing so i'm wanting to start a course of tlc & improvement albeit on a budget - other than the above and a drivebelt renewal (beyond me technically i feel - anyone know a decent economical volvo mechanic in Surrey??) what do you guys suggest i should add to the jobs list?

Who seems to be the best supplier (online or otherwise as long as they do mailorder) of volvo parts? i realise "best" is hard to quantify - but i guess a sensible mix of reasonable prices/knowledgeable staff/stock availability.

Sorry to blah on and on, a lot of subjects covered here but my enthusiasm for the car is making me want to get it ALL sorted NOW lol!

All replies appreciated, thanks for your time

Jim

Wobbly Dave
Monday 18th July 2005, 00:08
1/. Oil - good quality synth or semi synth - 5W 40 or 10W 40 will be just fine. Changing it every 5K will aid longevity

2/. Dunno - but someone else will - failing that ring VT

3/. My dizzy when changed was a moto factors job ~ £20 and change the rotor while you are at it. Replace leads as necessary but I would advise using Volvo OEM.

4/. Plugs - NGK BKR7EVX all the plug you will need about £7 each

5/. Don't drill the box and use ITG available from VT ~£45

6/. Replace the front pads with Ferodo DS2500 or DS2000 (aka Performance). Great pads - no need to worry too much about the rears as 90% of the braking is done on the front. Use Dot 5.1 brake fluid. The DS2500 pads are only available through Volvotuning.

7/. There is a drain plug on the n/s end of the radiator - and an access hole through the front undertray - so you dont even need to take it off to drain the fluid.

8/. Fuel filter - under the offside rear passenger door, slung in a clamp (which often is troublesome to remove as the nuts usually rust up). When removing it please use proper tools to remove the junctions. I had to dispose of the clamp and use cable ties. You might be a bit luckier - but use lots of penetrating oil first. The filter should cost about a tenner.

9/. SB = good mod to have IMHO - Volvo dealers or VT - VT have them on the shelf whilst you will have to wait from the main dealer - £65. Tightens up the front end alot, but still will not be much cop if you suspension especially the front dampers are shot.

10/. Kneel on one corner and see how many times the car bounces. 1 1/2 times is ideal.

Read the stage 0 tuning advice in the knowledge base section.

I am sure if you ring VT and ask for all the bits they will do you a cracking price.

foz
Monday 18th July 2005, 22:37
When I did the turbo on mine, Turbo Technics advised strongly against flushing the engine with the turbo fitted as gunge can be loosened, and block the turbo oilways. They also advised against engine treatment with slick 50 or magnatec type oils for the reason that they coat components, closing clearances down. Don' mix oils, if its on semi don't put in synthetic. Change the oil every 5 thousand, and filter every 10.

jim_from_surrey
Sunday 24th July 2005, 14:14
Thanks for all the info Dave, sorry its taken me so long to reply - pressures of work and a new wife, etc!

Sunday afternoon and i should be out doing a few bits but it's pi$$ing down and i dont fancy it now!

Transmission oil is still an unknown for me - got a haynes coming from ebay but not here yet.

I dont know if the engine oil is syth or not at the mo, previous owners choice.

Thanks again

Jim