PDA

View Full Version : squeeky front suspension is it a bush or something?

watchmytracer
Sunday 21st November 2010, 11:51
Hi i seem to have an extreme case of squeekyness coming from drivers side front suspension it is not a shock absorber noise.i recently had new mot (went straight through) done and noise started after that any suggestions please. i took wheel off just to check nothing was hanging off as it can be very loud going over small bumps

Flatout Phil
Sunday 21st November 2010, 12:40
Hi i seem to have an extreme case of squeekyness coming from drivers side front suspension it is not a shock absorber noise.i recently had new mot (went straight through) done and noise started after that any suggestions please. i took wheel off just to check nothing was hanging off as it can be very loud going over small bumps

Suspension rubber top-mount perhaps? Assuming you have an 850/V70 lift the bonnet, take hold of the top of the damper and bounce the car up and down whilst twisting the top. If it rotates, the rubber top-mount has sheared. Not a gigantic job.

Either that or a sheared wishbone bush. Have someone move the car slowly backwards and forwards and apply the brake. Watch from outside for any abnormal movement in the front wheels (ie, twisting inwards or outwards when the brake is applied - because the bush at one end or the other has failed). You should also feel this when braking if the steering wheel has a tendency to pull to one side as you come to a stop.

Droplinks tend to knock and clonk, but worth checking to see if the antiroll bar bushes have failed too.

There is a definite bush theme here I notice...

merc85
Sunday 21st November 2010, 16:54
I reckon it could be the top Spring Seat, mine had rusted/swelled up and split all the rubber. mileage was 154k

watchmytracer
Sunday 21st November 2010, 22:28
cheers for replies

preacher38
Monday 22nd November 2010, 20:39
had a similar problem with a squek from front passenger side , took it all off and had the rubber top mount and t other bit ready to replace them and it was shock that was knackered ... so replaced em both , lovely now ....

t5 stealth
Monday 22nd November 2010, 23:17
if its since the mot then i think it might just be cos the car was jacked up and the suspension hangs down,
the bottom swivel may just be dry,where it was jacked up has moved the ball onto a dry part of the joint,you could try just pulling out the rubber boot on the bottom joint and squirting a bit of light oil into the boot to lube the joint,
bushes etc should be ok or it would of been picked up on the mot...
have you taken the car for a lively drive since the mot to settle suspenion back down after being jacked up etc...a few corners and roundabouts might help :)

and maybe squirt of oil on the top and bottom of the coil springs where they sit on the platforms.....an make sure theres no stones or gravel etc sitting in the bottom platform where the spring sits...or get a mate to bounce the car while you look under it and see if you can pin point the noise

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 07:49
if its since the mot then i think it might just be cos the car was jacked up and the suspension hangs down,
the bottom swivel may just be dry,where it was jacked up has moved the ball onto a dry part of the joint,you could try just pulling out the rubber boot on the bottom joint and squirting a bit of light oil into the boot to lube the joint,
bushes etc should be ok or it would of been picked up on the mot...
have you taken the car for a lively drive since the mot to settle suspenion back down after being jacked up etc...a few corners and roundabouts might help :)

and maybe squirt of oil on the top and bottom of the coil springs where they sit on the platforms.....an make sure theres no stones or gravel etc sitting in the bottom platform where the spring sits...or get a mate to bounce the car while you look under it and see if you can pin point the noise

Just remember to take the correct precautions and use a non-petroleum based lubricant on your rubber parts! ;

t5 stealth
Tuesday 23rd November 2010, 18:20
Just remember to take the correct precautions and use a non-petroleum based lubricant on your rubber parts! ;

are you talking about car parts or something else :)