PDA

View Full Version : handbrake adjustment

T5frankie
Thursday 18th November 2010, 21:53
never done it on this car how do i go about it?

streaky744
Thursday 18th November 2010, 22:17
remove rear wheels (support car),
make sure handbrake is off.

remove rear caliper and the carrier. clean caliper, pads and carrier while your at it.

slacken off handbrake shoes through hole in disc with a flat screwdriver , you may need torch to see adjuster, will find it near to 12 o clock postion. undo disc retaining bolt and remove disc, some tapping with hammer may be needed but apply this to centre of disc not on outer surface.

once inside clean handbrake shoes and backing plate (tin spray brake cleaner are cheap)
make sure all parts are free and not siezed anywhere. rub brake shoe lining with sandpaper to give good surface for brakes to key to drum part of disc. using a screwdriver as a lever against each shoe get a friend to operatate the handbrake slowly to make sure the cables are not seized,only do this to one side at a time and don't have disc removed from opposite side when operating handbrake so nothing goes adrift. if they are seized replace said cable

clean inner drum of disc with spray cleaner and also score with sand paper,

then refit in reverse and adjust shoes up until they just catch drum then slacken of a couple of notches. this will then allow you to adjust the cable properly instead of just tightening up the cable to take up adjustment that should be taken up by above process.

if needed the cable can be tightened by the handbrake lever and you will find the adjustment nut under the rear centre console.

i have found by adjusting the shoes correctly that rarely does the cable need to be tightened very much if at all.

refit caliper carrier and caliper after you have sorted the handbrake makes it easier to spin the disc to check adjustment is correct.

T5frankie
Sunday 21st November 2010, 15:04
i had a go at this today took everything off and cleaned put it all back on tightened the adjuster to it held the disc from spinning (on both sides0 then i slackened off a notch then i had to adjust it behind the handbrake even with both ends at their tightest it still needed 7-8 clicks to get it to pull tight do i need a new cable, i mean it works ok just mot tests want less travel than 8 clicks dont they

mightywolf
Sunday 21st November 2010, 19:33
i do mine just like streaky said but I slacken the adjuster off in the centre console behind the handbrake lever first, then adjust the discs on the back. Once the drums are adjusted ok, then adjust the torx nut behind the lever to get the desired number of clicks.

T5frankie
Sunday 21st November 2010, 19:51
i do mine just like streaky said but I slacken the adjuster off in the centre console behind the handbrake lever first, then adjust the discs on the back. Once the drums are adjusted ok, then adjust the torx nut behind the lever to get the desired number of clicks.

thats what i did mate but it was quite slack, i slackened the torx nut right off then did what you said still not good enough how many clicks is allowed?

mightywolf
Sunday 21st November 2010, 21:08
not sure. sounds strange. whenever I've done mine in the past I could get it to bite after a couple of clicks if i wanted (although not recommended as it might stretch the cable). Although it could be that the cable is old and stretched too far so won't adjust properly??
If it is that its not an expensive fix. Mine failed on my handbrake cable being seized at one side. They replaced it and it was about £80 all in I think.