PDA

View Full Version : Air-con.

chriskay
Sunday 17th July 2005, 16:52
Hi, all; just measured the air temp. at the vents, 12 deg. with air con. going full blast. Do I need a re-gas?
Thanks, Chris.

nobananas
Sunday 17th July 2005, 21:44
Worth a try to start with. Air-con should be 'serviced' once a year and used at least once a week. Mine has never worked since I bought it and had no gas at all in it ! When I finally got it gased suprise, suprise its got a leak :slap: . If you've never had the air-con serviced get it done quick as leaving it till it stops working causes all sorts of problems.

chriskay
Monday 18th July 2005, 12:19
Thanks for the advice. Just found out my main Volvo dealer will do a re-gas for £52 inc. VAT, which is cheaper than many independents. I'm having it done this week. There's obviously some gas in there, cos it's getting down to 12 deg. He says the Volvo guideline is 7-9 deg. (so much for main stealers being expensive).
Cheers, Chris.

audimadmike
Friday 22nd July 2005, 23:29
Hi Chris
12C is a little high, but ambient temp has been high so cooling will be slightly worse, if it smells cold and fresh at the vents its probably okay but if it smells like it would when defrosting its probably short. If its regassed it will only last if the leak is repaired. Many people think a regass is like changing your anti freeze/brake fluid every 2 years. Refrigerant gas lasts until it leaks out or is let out during a repair. That price is good, normally about £60 plus.
Mike

andi t5
Saturday 23rd July 2005, 10:54
Hi, all; just measured the air temp. at the vents, 12 deg. with air con. going full blast. Do I need a re-gas?
Thanks, Chris.yes you do, should get down to around 3-6 c with a OAT of 25c

chriskay
Saturday 23rd July 2005, 10:57
Had it re-gassed yesterday. Will measure the temp. later. Certainly feels colder.

oizukilemon
Wednesday 27th July 2005, 13:55
Have you noticed that Halfords have now started the DIY regass / gas top up canisters with pressure monitor?

Has anyone got experience of using these?

They claim to include a stop leak agent that makes your seals expand etc... to address minor leaks.

The system apparently connects to teh low site valve ( I think I am right in saying the 850's only have a low side?) and hey presto you alternate between reading th eguage to tell you how low your gas is and pulling the trigger to put a bit more in. The kit is only available with 134a gas.

chriskay
Wednesday 27th July 2005, 14:35
Measured the temp. today; down to 5.5 Deg.

audimadmike
Thursday 28th July 2005, 19:43
Have you noticed that Halfords have now started the DIY regass / gas top up canisters with pressure monitor?

Has anyone got experience of using these?

They claim to include a stop leak agent that makes your seals expand etc... to address minor leaks.

The system apparently connects to teh low site valve ( I think I am right in saying the 850's only have a low side?) and hey presto you alternate between reading th eguage to tell you how low your gas is and pulling the trigger to put a bit more in. The kit is only available with 134a gas.
Please remember that it is illegal to add refrigerant gas to a system with a known leak, you will not find a small leak without proper detection equipment.
When gas leaks out so does oil...will this Halfords gadget replace that??!! If not well try running the engine with a shortage of oil!
Mike (A/C technical services)

Vikingxl
Thursday 28th July 2005, 20:13
Please remember that it is illegal to add refrigerant gas to a system with a known leak, you will not find a small leak without proper detection equipment.
When gas leaks out so does oil...will this Halfords gadget replace that??!! If not well try running the engine with a shortage of oil!
Mike (A/C technical services)

Isnt there a huge fine for doing this?

audimadmike
Thursday 28th July 2005, 20:33
Isnt there a huge fine for doing this?

Up to £20,000 and up to 5 years inside.

Vikingxl
Thursday 28th July 2005, 20:41
Up to £20,000 and up to 5 years inside.

Not really worth it then is it!Im surprised halfords are allowed to sell them because as you say with no leak you should still have coolant in the system.

audimadmike
Thursday 28th July 2005, 20:59
Not really worth it then is it!Im surprised halfords are allowed to sell them because as you say with no leak you should still have coolant in the system.

Amazed me it was available, not that I've seen them. I think A/C is best left for the proffesionals to sort out, except for filter and belt changing etc.