PDA

View Full Version : 850 Won't Start

JackT5
Sunday 17th July 2005, 14:18
Ok, started up ok this morning, went to my daughters came out and it wouldn't start, turned over ok but that was all, tried pulling fuses 4&8 still no joy. Problem is definately lack of sparks, have disconnected battery etc. and checked everything i can think of (can't read the codes it's a 96). Does this point to the cam sensor and is there anyway of checking it or can anyone suggest anything else short of the dreaded dealer?

Jack

gibbo
Sunday 17th July 2005, 14:31
Ok, started up ok this morning, went to my daughters came out and it wouldn't start, turned over ok but that was all, tried pulling fuses 4&8 still no joy. Problem is definately lack of sparks, have disconnected battery etc. and checked everything i can think of (can't read the codes it's a 96). Does this point to the cam sensor and is there anyway of checking it or can anyone suggest anything else short of the dreaded dealer?

Jack

Mate,
Exactly the same happened to my 855 the other week.
That turned out to be the CAM Sensor.
I had the AA transport mine to VT who sorted it the next day.
I was advised to reprogram the alarm / immobilser as that can sometimes cause a similar problem??????????????????????????????????????????? ????
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2990&highlight=gibbo

Gibbo

Keyholder
Monday 18th July 2005, 16:42

Jack

Jack , how far away is ur daughters?

Depending on how far u traveled , Etc, Volvo said to me , that If u start ur engine travel for about 5 mins at a steady pace or Ide it for 5 mins, then when u turn it off and come to start it again then it wont start. Why ? Due to lack of oil pressure apprently.

You have to keep trying to turn it over for 20 seconds, then turn off , give it 10 seconds, then try again for another 20 seconds, then Off for 10 again, Then try again for 20 seconds.

If it doent work for the 3rd - 4th time then maybe its something else.

i know its a stab in the dark but worth a try.

Keyz

gazjacko
Monday 18th July 2005, 18:17
I experienced similar when I just moved the car to allow my Dad to get his car out the garage.
I started it , engaged gear and let the car run forward ten feet where I turned off the ignition and let it come to a stop. Later that day when I came to try to start it there was nothing! it turned over but no spark! just not interested!
The 'cure ' seemed to be to disconnect the battery and leave overnight to allow the various CPUs to re-boot back to normal.
I'm not 100% sure if this is the reason but the theory seems sound, a sort of Ctrl-Alt-Delete for the car :cuckoo:

JackT5
Monday 18th July 2005, 19:13
I did think about the oil/cam follower problem first but then found it was lack of sparks, also disconnected the battery for 10/15 minutes with no luck. I'm going to leave it disconnected overnight tonight and see what happens, anyone know of a cheap supplier for the cam sensor, dealer quoted me £99.50 plus vat!!!! Did check ECP and GSF but they only list them for the S80.

JackT5
Tuesday 19th July 2005, 19:57
Just a note to say it was the cam sensor, went to the local dealer and had a natter with the workshop foreman just in case there was anything else it could be and he confirmed it was unlikely, so paid out, got one and fitted it. Problem solved.

jim.kelly
Friday 29th July 2005, 18:31
sounds like i got the same prob

Just a note to say it was the cam sensor, went to the local dealer and had a natter with the workshop foreman just in case there was anything else it could be and he confirmed it was unlikely, so paid out, got one and fitted it. Problem solved.