PDA

View Full Version : hlm...good or bad????

si850r
Saturday 13th November 2010, 22:52
Hi all....just been reading some stuff on the volvo owners club site and couldnt help but notice that a lot of statements slagging of hlm.....These were varing from crappy remaps ( ie in some cases blown engines) to bad customer relations....

Now this has got me thinking as I was planning on getting mine remapped there for my chrimbo pressie... Also advising not to get remapped on a standard ecu....Any body got any experience with hlm......

Cheers again to all..........

T5frankie
Saturday 13th November 2010, 23:04
do a search on hlm mate in the search box

smithy
Saturday 13th November 2010, 23:31
i know loads of peeps happy with there service at hlm and the remaps so i would say go for it mate

T5frankie
Saturday 13th November 2010, 23:34
also advising not to get remapped on a standard ecu...

what does this mean? it starts standard then gets remapped

Jamest5r
Saturday 13th November 2010, 23:43
Here we go again :hidesbehi,

Tomcat
Saturday 13th November 2010, 23:50

Oh god not another one(thread that is)..

T5frankie
Saturday 13th November 2010, 23:51

lmfao:mad111:

Storm-Troll
Saturday 13th November 2010, 23:55

... Im Off..lol..:hidesbehipeepo
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/stormhawk7/MISC/thm_phpCDNelN.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/stormhawk7/MISC/48411970v83_480x480_Front.jpg

Tomcat
Saturday 13th November 2010, 23:59
Hi all....just been reading some stuff on the volvo owners club site and couldnt help but notice that a lot of statements slagging of hlm.....These were varing from crappy remaps ( ie in some cases blown engines) to bad customer relations....

Now this has got me thinking as I was planning on getting mine remapped there for my chrimbo pressie... Also advising not to get remapped on a standard ecu....Any body got any experience with hlm......

Cheers again to all..........

Opinions are mixed, best to do a search and make your own mind up, you'll see from the threads you find that the mere mention of this causes all sorts of arguements. I'll leave this for a little while but if it degenerates into yet another fiasco then the thread will get closed.

T5frankie
Sunday 14th November 2010, 00:20
Oh come on tc its late on a saturday night could make some interesting reading, wont be long before the usual suspects are along, always good for a laugh

S70T5Chris
Sunday 14th November 2010, 08:02
http://s3.amazonaws.com/pixmac-preview/smiley-with-zipped-mouth.jpg

stephenevans99
Sunday 14th November 2010, 09:17
I had the RICA/HLM (delete as applicable) 280 remap on my 855 T5 at 125k, it totally transformed the car. I covered just over 40k with the remap before I sold the car & I had no problems whatsoever, the car ran faultlessly.

I think most be will advise you to do the research & look at the alternatives, but also make sure you car is in tip top condition before any remap ie. decent plugs are fitted, no oil, water or vac leaks etc. If your car is on it's last legs, a remap could be the nail in it's coffin, saying that - I don't think any garage would remap a car that is 5hagged.

Steve

si850r
Sunday 14th November 2010, 09:49
well cheers every1...........thanks for the input,,,,i didnt want to p*ss any1 off with another thread.....just new to this and wnted some expert advice.......the ecu statement ...i was meant to say he used an rica ecu then had it chipped ....again thanks

stephenevans99
Sunday 14th November 2010, 09:53
wnted some expert advice......

Why come here then ?????? lol

t5_monkey
Sunday 14th November 2010, 10:26
Did someone just crack open Pandoras box ?

http://www.willandbeyond.com/pics/news/august08/pandorasbox.jpg

T5frankie
Sunday 14th November 2010, 10:32
well cheers every1...........thanks for the input,,,,i didnt want to p*ss any1 off with another thread.....just new to this and wnted some expert advice.......the ecu statement ...i was meant to say he used an rica ecu then had it chipped ....again thanks

He had a rica ecu then had it chipped????? rica are the ones that chip ecu's, don't think they make standard ones

LiamT4
Sunday 14th November 2010, 10:49
Some like them, some don't. Best to do a search on here, to see what peoples opinions are, because its all been said many, many times before.
On here you'll find more like them than not, but on othere forums its the other way round.
You could also have a chat with them yourself about what you want to do with your car, is everything in good working order, etc and then make up your own mind.

cherry1809
Sunday 14th November 2010, 10:57
http://s3.amazonaws.com/pixmac-preview/smiley-with-zipped-mouth.jpg

Fpmsl :D

leet5r
Sunday 14th November 2010, 11:54
any remap will be better than a standard car , theres good and bad in all aspects of tuning , try and get a go in a remapped car before you make ya mind up m8

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 14th November 2010, 18:28
the ecu statement ...i was meant to say he used an rica ecu then had it chipped ....again thanks
A RICA (or whatever remap) ecu is not different to a standard ecu. When the ecu is remapped, a different set of maps is programmed into the ROM chip inside the standard ecu, no hardware is changed.

Vikingxl
Sunday 14th November 2010, 18:57
As you are local i would take a drive down there and talk to the man himself and then make your own mind up as at the end of the day its your decision. There are a lot of people that have done serious hard mileage with an HLM map that are really happy and have no issues and some that havent.

gmain1967
Sunday 14th November 2010, 19:57
any remap will be better than a standard car , theres good and bad in all aspects of tuning , try and get a go in a remapped car before you make ya mind up m8

Well put leet5r. Look at a remap in almost any make/model of car and you will find people who have had good experiences, and people who have had bad experiences. In the same way as with a standard car, straight out the showroom, some will have good experiences and love the thing, others won't.

IMO, the only way to get a true comparison of any remap, is to drive at least one with whatever remap(s) are being considered, and compare it to standard. Some like aggressive delivery, low down, others like a smooth even delivery. Like most things, personal preference has a big say in the matter...

wegal
Monday 15th November 2010, 09:16
Most people have no issue with HLM standard remaps. Other people hate them. Its horses for courses.... oh and a touchy subject lol

jez.w
Monday 15th November 2010, 13:19
I've done 55K with HLM Rica280 in my Auto 850t5, no problems. It came in the post, i sent back my standard one. HLM maps are identical to the rica ones i was told, why pay more?

TedBovis
Tuesday 16th November 2010, 10:30
Just my experience.....

I did over 140k with the HLM 310 (the car had 220k when it was sold) and had no problems or issues over the 6-7 years I had it, I often wondered why I didn't get the remap done sooner as it totally changed the drive of the car. Regular servicing is the key to long life with any car but if its got a remap this is even more important.
The 280 or 310 remaps are not pushing the standard beyond their limits (in my experience) so you should be ok with either.

Custom re-maps are a very different issue.............

For everyone like me there will be somebody else that has issues with a remap, read the posts from the more knowledgeable people on here and then make up your own mind.

Something else to consider depending on the mileage on your car would be a new/recon turbo as they do get tired and this can make a big difference.

I am still in mourning for selling my T5 :(