PDA

View Full Version : power steerin

silverswedemachine
Saturday 13th November 2010, 20:38
is there some magic trick to bleeding the system on these models, i had the engine out a while back, 1000 miles ago, i have read in the manual what to do, done it several times and it still insists on whining all the time when its cold, and only on harsh turns when hot... Also the level in the tank never seems to level out, its really high when the engine is off and drops an inch when started... its acting like it still wants bleeding more, lumpy (some times) feed back through the wheel... What do you lot reckon, more bleeding or is the pump on the way out?? Is it sensitive to the oil used, it sort of has a halfords dexronIII , original oil mix at the mo...

If it could be the oil, any one tell me how to drain the system properly to start again...

cheers mark...

Volvostorm
Saturday 13th November 2010, 20:48
To bleed, turn the steering slowly from lock to lock, then check levels, might have to repeat a few times.

Dexron or most ATF is fine

nobananas
Sunday 14th November 2010, 17:42
If your still having problems after bleeding try this stuff. My racks knackered (leaking) this stuff has seriously slowed it down but not only that, as I poured it in a noise from the pump that I didn't even realize I had suddenly went quiet ! May well work for you, they sell it in Wilco's as well if you have a store near you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LUCAS-POWER-STEERING-STOP-LEAK-355ml-/120646667948?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c171a0eac

Quicksilver
Saturday 20th November 2010, 18:50
If your still having problems after bleeding try this stuff. My racks knackered (leaking) this stuff has seriously slowed it down but not only that, as I poured it in a noise from the pump that I didn't even realize I had suddenly went quiet ! May well work for you, they sell it in Wilco's as well if you have a store near you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LUCAS-POWER-STEERING-STOP-LEAK-355ml-/120646667948?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c171a0eac
Worked on mine also, had a leak from one end of the rack and the steering felt very loose, took two treatments but stopped the leak completly and the steering feels tighter.

I did get the noise you decribe during one of my treatments and thought the pump had gone but after turning lock to lock a few times all went quiet.