PDA

View Full Version : front seat problem C70

streaky744
Thursday 11th November 2010, 20:35
well seems my passenger front seat has taken a sickie (C70). it will no longer tilt forward by using the handle on the side of the seat. it still moves forwards and back with the electric switch's.

is there a how to repair this problem anywhere? or is it a major strip down job to replace a broken cable within the seat?

any pointers would be a great help or any guidelines what to do and not do.
thanks in advance but need to sort this problem this weekend as little one needs access to that side of car regular as child seat for new born is on other side of car

Wobbly Dave
Friday 12th November 2010, 09:36
Broken cable inside. I have repaired my drivers seat - access is via the bottom of the seat cover - which can be split open (held together via a plastic hinge).

The cable itself runs from the handle to 2 rods that keep the seat back in place. Usually what happens is the cable has snapped on 1 side. It is a bit fiddly working inside the seat.

You will have to remove the seat from the car of course. It is held in place by 4 bolts (2 fwd & 1 aft & 1 on the seat belt slider rail). The 1 at the front by the door is under plastic trims that just slide forward. The 1 aft on the middle (by the central arm rest) Lifts & then slides out. On the slider rail at the back - there is a cover that prizes off to reveal a T25 torx screw. This holds the trim in place that covers the bolt holding the slider rail.

Once the seat is out you will need to prize off the 2 hooks inside the bottom edges that hold the leather in place.

Once they are undone, you can release the plastic hinge that holds the seam for the seat back. It is folded in on itself.
Once this is open you can reach inside the seat. You may need to undo the vertical angle adjuster - ensure you retain the plastic sleave it rides in.

I have photos of my old seat I destroyed - taking it apart to work all this out if you want. I can post them on here?

BTW if you want to come over to Telford I will help you fix it though it is not very close for you.

streaky744
Friday 12th November 2010, 22:09
thanks very much, will remove seat tomoz with lap top in car to read as i go lol.

pics be a great help cheers

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 13th November 2010, 15:43
here are the pictures as promised. Each side has a cable stop where the outer cable guide clips into. The cable sits in the groves on the 2 catches as circled in red. I have removed the cable from this seat to repair my other one, so sorry there is nothing to see.

streaky744
Saturday 13th November 2010, 18:24
well removed seat today which took all of about 2 mins to do thanks to my handy battery impact gun. getting into the seat was a different matter. took ages to get the plastic clip to seperate to allow the leather to pull back. could not get the side adjuster knob to come off so just pulled out the inner seat stiffener from the backing to allow it to pull back far enough to get into back of seat.

sure enough the cable had snapped at the lever end so not operating the outer catch. as little bit fiddly to remove cable from its fixings points but managed it in the end.

a little trip to the main stealer's to get new cable which not badly priced at £8, won't be in till monday so put seat back together for now and refitted till get new cable on monday.

thanks for the pointers dave. will take pictures as i go monday to make up a ' how to ' so others can do this job for them selves in the future. or if in my area will glady assist anyone to do the job now i have done one, not a bad job at all really.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 14th November 2010, 00:29
Sorry I did instruct as best as I could remember. I trust you found my tips vaguely useful??

streaky744
Sunday 14th November 2010, 14:11
tips where a great help dave and made the job simple. just being a common fault it appears on the c70 thought a how to guide would help others in the future